Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
BOE CAI - Worth It? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

BOE CAI - Worth It?

According to my cars previous owner, my 2010 NA with sports pack (and sport button) has a later Sports exhaust (Lotus Janspeed) with the flap but because it is NA there is nothing to connect the vacuum tube to so the flap remains permanently open. You need the supercharged Evora S to have the vacuum tube equipment to connect to.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think that Janspeed exhaust is on mine and recalling the guys at lotus mentioned that it’s an easy job as less things to connect ? However I am a dud when it comes to anything mechanical so I probably had selective hearing at that point so I would double check 

I have just driven across the Peak District to Stockport this morning slowish as there was plenty of HGV and slow traffic still car was driving much more assured didn’t have windows down but sure it sounded more grander than before 

Not sure if this is valid observation of the BOE kit but 

drive back from my work visit I hit an accident hold up on M6 got stuck in traffic for about hour crawling then only when I cleared that accident I hit another around Stoke and got stuck for another 25 mins Sods Law ! 
However the BOE kit was behaving brilliantly and car was running fine 

wish purchased the kit years ago 

• Haha 1

In the interest of balance, here's my take. I had one on my Evora for a few years. Also had the Lotus sports exhaust and decat. First impression was that it certainly sounds more dramatic! Second though was it actually felt a little slower if anything. Over time, I began to have some doubts about it. With the standard setup, there was a beautiful purity to the sound from the exhaust which get lost under the angry induction sound. Never came to regret buying, but certainly not sure it was actually better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add to Bendonian, my S1 had a Lotus Sports Exhaust, 2Bular bypass pipe and the BOE CAI and it was bonkers loud; almost painful.  That's why I sold it (to Bibs); the combination was way too loud.

Couldn't feel any difference in performance with it removed, but at least my ears no longer bled on WOT.

@EGTE, I think you had the Radium CAI not the BOE Fab?

I've tried a car with the Radium and BOE CAI and the Radium is by far the much louder of the two.  I think BOE judged it right by adding more noise and drama but keeping it sensible so it's still possible to have a conversation on the motorway without shouting too loud or without upsetting the neighbours when you start the car early in the morning.

2 hours ago, electro_boy said:

@EGTE, I think you had the Radium CAI not the BOE Fab?

I've tried a car with the Radium and BOE CAI and the Radium is by far the much louder of the two.  I think BOE judged it right by adding more noise and drama but keeping it sensible so it's still possible to have a conversation on the motorway without shouting too loud or without upsetting the neighbours when you start the car early in the morning.

I must testify that my BOE kit is bearable at motorway otherwise I wouldn’t had gone for it 

I like to listen to my Hifi unit and would been annoyed of any deafening drone 

On 03/02/2022 at 12:16, mg4lotus said:

According to my cars previous owner, my 2010 NA with sports pack (and sport button) has a later Sports exhaust (Lotus Janspeed) with the flap but because it is NA there is nothing to connect the vacuum tube to so the flap remains permanently open. You need the supercharged Evora S to have the vacuum tube equipment to connect to.

On my old na, I just got a used bmw part that matched the lotus one, it t's into the vacuum line and you connect that with a pipe to the exhaust flap and wire your trigger voltage.

Update. I’ve spoken to my local dealer, and even though a MY2011, I don’t have a exhaust valve. 

Thanks for the feedback, as I will order the BOE CAI unit. Notice the shipping is high at $180! 

For your Information

when you order from BOE you pay £100 odd for the shipping but today I received a letter from FedEx asking me to pay another £102 which BOE informs me are the custom charges 

I didn’t realise ! So extra cost of the BOE kit from US is £200 plus 

is the kit worth it I would say Yes but reluctantly given the above and the £100 to get it fitted 

• Gold FFM
On 07/02/2022 at 09:11, electro_boy said:

...............upsetting the neighbours when you start the car early in the morning.

That's why I fitted the Radium!

Payback for all the days and weeks of incessant drilling and sawing from next door, but just outside my bedroom window as that is apparently the only place they can use their power-tools, when they know full-well that I'm on permanent nightshift, :rant::rolleyes::lol:.

59 minutes ago, Harey said:

Thanks @Cdm2018for the warning. How long after arrival did you get the FedEx invoice?

Just about to order mine. 

I had my BOE fitted about 2 weeks ago so I say the FedEx letter arrived about 4 weeks after delivery 

must point out its not very clear on the  order it’s buried half way on the shipping info ! 

1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

For your Information

when you order from BOE you pay £100 odd for the shipping but today I received a letter from FedEx asking me to pay another £102 which BOE informs me are the custom charges 

I didn’t realise ! So extra cost of the BOE kit from US is £200 plus 

I did try and warn you:

On 12/01/2022 at 08:32, Bravo73 said:

If the part is coming from the USA, you are aware of the additional taxes, duties and delivery costs that you’re going to have to pay, aren’t you?

I thought the £100 odd was inclusive of custom costs 😞

I live a shelter life I thought custom costs would had been a few pounds not £100 

mind you if I was getting induction kit sorted here in UK I think it was coming out at more money so this was the most cost effective option left 

Managed to buy a used BOE on FB last year, had to be quick though as there were several replies commenting on missing out..

It would appear that selling it won't be a problem in the future!

Fitting was easy, as others mentioned it frees up a shed load of space in the engine bay.
Sounds great, a bit hissy at low revs but the howl builds nicely.

If you're servicing the foam filter then make sure you don't over oil it, a little goes a long way..

Thank you for your order. We are currently backordered on this CAI. We are hoping to be able to ship it out in the next 4 weeks. I will keep you posted with any shipping updates.

Just got message.  Well frustrated.  On placing the order it quoted delivery in 5 days.