Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
'89 SE rear dampers. Are V8 stock dampers interchangeable? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

'89 SE rear dampers. Are V8 stock dampers interchangeable?

Hi all.

Both my rear dampers are shot and I've had the offer of a pair of used dampers out of a mate's V8.  He replaced his with high-end adjustables.  It looks like replacement is pretty straightforward so won't have wasted much time if they turn out to be of no use.  Anyone with any knowledge in this area?  Cheers.

I should have also said - the V8 had stiffer sprigs and likely different shock valving was not just a slightly heavier motor, also more power, bigger wheels and tires, faster probably some other things.  

Koni, who led the technology in damping for decades, wrote up a technical paper on setting double adjustable shocks typically found on pure race cars and the late Carroll Smith shared it in one of his "Prepare to ..."; Tune to ..."; "Engineer to Win" series of books. Great stuff for the devoted Lotus tuner in my opinion, BTW. In regard to damping in the simplest terms jounce ( or compression ) setting correlates primarily with management of unsprung weight, whereas rebound was more pertinent to corner entry response. Opinions on this from the more learned among us are welcome, my memory on the material hasn't had a refresh for some time. At any rate I suspect the V-8 dampers will be agreeable for any who prefer a tight handling Esprit over a cushy one.

Cheers  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gold on wheels works well in my opinion, smart accent to colours like red, black, BRG.

Thanks for the remarks on the V-8 dampers, makes clear sense to me. 

Cheers

8 hours ago, Bibs said:

They look great! 

Did you work out how to fit the roof into the boot? 

I considered it but that would have meant taking everything out of my boot, including the battery charger that was doing its thing at the time.  Also, my Phd in spatial 3-D geometry has lapsed.  Thought I'd save that challenge for another time.

• Haha 2

On 18/07/2022 at 01:28, Bibs said:

They look great! 

Did you work out how to fit the roof into the boot? 

Upside down, back to front.

DanR

21 hours ago, DanR said:

Upside down, back to front.

Preferably while standing on one leg and reciting the sacred chant to make it fit. 😉

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Always a good idea to have a trusted yogi in attendance to help with calming.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 3 weeks later...