Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bloody Mice! How easy do you think this will be to fix? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Bloody Mice! How easy do you think this will be to fix?

• Gold FFM

So I had just finished installing my new electric chargecooler pump from PNM and started topping it up with water, only to hear the sound of water splashing on the floor at the front of the car.

Fearing the worst of a leaking radiator I had a look to see if I could see the actual leak, which to be fair is quite difficult with the radiators all packaged together like they are. However, I found the leak and it isn't the radiator thankfully(?)

image.jpeg.505e4db1e06dd22e86d46d9f5509341e.jpeg

Quite hard to see due to the camera's autofocus, but look closer....

image.jpeg.70482346e1c1af309a29995f35aec0e4.jpeg

Bloody mice have chewed through the hose! 

I've noticed the presence of mice in other places but it's been mostly foam they've gone for. Unlike before when the Esprit was in a nice (but tight) garage it's now parked in a metal shed that's very easy for mice to get in to and I haven't used the car in almost 3 years, this has gone unchecked.

So, is this a strip down of the front end required or is a there a method I can use to ease the pain?

Signature not working...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

💣

Throw one of these at the pesky blighters Alan.

But just think, you may have the first Esprit in history to come with its very own Ratsak and mouse traps. Ooo, and cheese. 🧀

• Sad 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I'd be removing (or destroying) the grille in an attempt to get at the clip; if successful then it's a pretty simple hose replacement.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Are the Turbo SE's different to the S4 in terms of the front bumper/undertray arrangement @Sparky?

From what I recall when I had the front end apart on my S4s last year you'd just need to drop the two front corner undertrays and then the radiator duct to gain access to those hoses from underneath. No need to damage the grille then.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

• Gold FFM

You may well be right!  I just can't remember how good the access is through there.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Mind you having just looked at the photos from doing mine I got flashbacks to all those rusty fittings I had to deal with after getting the undertrays off...

PXL_20210307_143133111.thumb.jpg.353e13ce00bdd2585bd4d6f8e0387d6c.jpg

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Plenty of space to get to the lower hose clips just by removing the corner undertray, but definitely need to remove the radiator duct (fitted in this photo) to get to the hose clamps on the chargecooler radiator by the looks of it.

PXL_20210227_180029581.jpg.1a967d991f5fa9f8f346880393f0ad8c.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomcattom said:

Are the Turbo SE's different to the S4 in terms of the front bumper/undertray arrangement

Yes, on the SE you need to disconnect the oil coolers and move them out of the way to drop the rad duct...... good luck with that as the cooler connections are probably corroded solid. (ask me how I know)

The S4 arrangement is far more sensible

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Are you talking about the tray that the radiator(s) sit in or the duct in front of that which directs air from the grille into it @NG5? I'm talking about the latter. 

I seem to recall the S4 rad tray has a similar challenge with the oil coolers.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, ramjet said:

💣

Throw one of these at the pesky blighters Alan.

But just think, you may have the first Esprit in history to come with its very own Ratsak and mouse traps. Ooo, and cheese. 🧀

The other half already calls the Esprit the Wedge of Blue Cheese already! Didn't think the mice in the area would come round for a tasting though.

6 hours ago, Sparky said:

I'd be removing (or destroying) the grille in an attempt to get at the clip; if successful then it's a pretty simple hose replacement.

I think this is the only quick option, just thinking about how to easy it would be to put the mesh back on to make it right, or perhaps not at all? The mesh isn't that atheistically pleasing anyway but it does have the purpose of stopping most objects from hitting the radiator. As @NG5 says below, I do not want to be messing about with oil coolers, I've the seen the trouble folk on here have had with them. Not forgetting the myriad of rusty fixings as @tomcattom mentions.

27 minutes ago, NG5 said:

Yes, on the SE you need to disconnect the oil coolers and move them out of the way to drop the rad duct...... good luck with that as the cooler connections are probably corroded solid. (ask me how I know)

The S4 arrangement is far more sensible

The top hose clamp is visible and a bit rusty but that can be busted off if I can just get to it - see the top of the image below.

image.jpeg.95a67f1d2a7e0366ea0c230f7196c5b7.jpeg

I'm currently running without a chargecooler circuit, fuse removed from the new PNM pump; not the best situation but at least still moving.

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

Here was the first evidence of mice I found, in the passenger door. I removed the door card to fix the door handle which had stopped opening from inside the car.

image.jpeg.1cca29af7b3e02e226bc1f7050d9d9a2.jpeg

Not poo thankfully, just lots of chewed up foam.

Signature not working...

1 hour ago, tomcattom said:

Are you talking about the tray that the radiator(s) sit in or the duct in front of that which directs air from the grille into it

I was thinking about the tray.

The duct in front of the rad tray is different SE and S4, can't remember now how it is removed on the SE, don't remember it being simple, nothing was!

Getting the grille out of the way doesn’t leave much space to work the clips. Tough to get your hands in there, let alone with tools. Still a major access problem to do the job properly. I’d remove the undertray, spoiler and grille, then lower the whole cassette gradually with thread bars in the back most position until you have sufficient access. Works well on an S3T with all hoses left in place and should be possible on an SE as well since the assembly of parts is very similar. 

6450E456-1AE5-45A7-813E-A014FAA6E48A.jpeg

Ad initium

• Gold FFM

I have definitely managed it through the grille aperture before.  However, I do have hands and fingers that do strange things.

• Like 2

You’re a magician Gary. For us mortals it’s a PITA to get in there. But I agree, for the hose clips there’s a chance with a tiny ratchet tool from the front. I tried accessing the AC condenser fittings through the opening. Impossible to put a spanner on them, so I lowered the whole cassette. That worked. Comes with intimate knowledge of all the screws that hold both the spoiler and the cassette up, many of them accessible by feel only and barely within reach (with mandatory skin graft) Felt a bit like a rectal exam, typical lotus jobs, you gotta love them. 😅

• Haha 1

Ad initium

• Gold FFM

Getting aircon apart through there would be a miracle!