Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Clutch pedal jammed - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Clutch pedal jammed

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my clutch which happened whilst driving everything was fine until the pedal completely jammed. 

I have a V8 with uprated twin plate clutch.

The pedal has some movement so I think the master cylinder is okay. The fluid level is about 4mm lower than normal.

Has anyone had this problem before? 

Any thoughts, do slaves jam up or could it be the release fork?

• Gold FFM

You need to break this into sections. 
is the master ok?, is the slave ok?, mechanical movements ok?
Don’t assume anything and work through it logically.

If you can access the bleed on the slave - then crack that off and see if you can  fully press the pedal. That will at least prove the master and the mechanism at the front. 

• Like 1

Only here once

26 minutes ago, Aussie Esprit said:

I have a problem with my clutch which happened whilst driving everything was fine until the pedal completely jammed. 

Jammed up or down?

I had an S4s where the release fork broke in half because it's not strong enough but yours is different as it's a pull clutch 

You'll stand a better chance of an answer if you post the question in the V8 forum :ermm:

Edited by jonwat

Cheers,

John W

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I've checked the linkages, the master and the slave and all work okay.

It looks like the the clutch fork has popped out of the release bearing.

Can i get the clutch fork out without taking the gearbox out?

I have an early v8.

You cannot remove the fork fully from the bellhousing in situ.  There is a slot in the fork so it can be moved up to disengage the release bearing for gearbox removal.

By removing he slave, you should be able to see the fork is engaged on the release bearing.  Pull it up fully to disengage and then back down to ensure it is seating correctly. You will see that it can only be seated fully with the release bearing in the correct orientation.  It does take some positive force to engage.

When seated correctl, once the slave is fitted it should be impossible for the fork to disengage during normal operation.  See the profile of the fork ends in the image below.

Capture.thumb.JPG.2fcd04fbe53dc6ce5b88dcbc242ef5c4.JPG

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM

The 96-97 ball type clutch fork pivot will allow the fork to completely disengage and be removed from the Bell housing without removing the gearbox.

I'm guessing this was a design fault rectified on later cars, it's entirely possible that a sudden shock could cause the fork to jump off its pivot, it may be worth investigating. 

• Like 2