Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Removing black sticky adhesive from behind door seals? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Removing black sticky adhesive from behind door seals?

Go to solution Solved by Bruss,

My 2010 Evora has the '12MY onwards door seals, but the way the seal is attached looks bodged. The seal is fixed to a long piece of plastic which in turn is fastened to the paintwork via several strips of black sticky adhesive. Anyway, I'm trying to clean it all up and fix it better.. the Lotus recommended adhesive cleaner is 'Betaclean 3900' but costs £121.83 from Lotus which strikes me as a tad expensive, but I can't seem to find it anywhere else. Has anyone used an effective adhesive cleaner to get rid of what seems to be fairly heavy duty adhesive, but is kind to paintwork! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, exeterjeep said:

Yes, that's the thing.. was going to order form there at £34 but it said it didn't support domestic accounts, only businesses?

31 minutes ago, Bruss said:

Try brake cleaner.

Ah ok.. will give that a go tomorrow, thanks

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A100B6008V.htm but need to submit to quote/check the cost. So may cost more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to complete this thread..  brake cleaner worked ok, still meant several hours of scraping/soaking with fluid etc, but finally it all came off. I also found this place if anyone ever wants to buy the Lotus recommended cleaner: https://www.astonstore.co.uk/product/betaclean-3900/ but brake cleaner worked fine for me so thanks @Bruss for the recommendation.

Now off to work out how to better fix 'MY12 door seals to a 2010 Evora... 🤔

• Like 2

Can I ask what the difference is between the earlier seals and the MY12 seals?

Pics would be great if possible, rather than just 'they're better'.

Are people upgrading due to water ingress or are they a dynamic improvement and make wind noise quieter?

Thanks

On 30/11/2022 at 12:27, madmax said:

Can I ask what the difference is between the earlier seals and the MY12 seals?

Pics would be great if possible, rather than just 'they're better'.

Are people upgrading due to water ingress or are they a dynamic improvement and make wind noise quieter?

Thanks

Here's a couple of pics of the 'MY12' seals on my car. The first pic is it in place... the 2010 seals if I remember correctly are glued below what you see to the sill side though I can't remember how it was rooted around the door. The dealer changed mine because I was getting water ingress and the sill top was getting very wet whenever it rained hard? The problem I have with the 'MY12 seals is that the sill ridge/groove (?) isn't deep enough to hold the seal in place so it just comes away usually when you are getting in and out (second pic). I'm just working on a solution to ensure its fixed into place... 

IMG_20221201_112136.jpg

IMG_20221201_112157.jpg

• Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 16:54, AdeMorton said:

Lotus recommended adhesive cleaner is 'Betaclean 3900' but costs £121.83

Quick google search and £35, seen it as low as £18.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Your Google must be better than mine 😀. The aston store (link above) works out at £38 inc. postage which was the cheapest I found. There's plenty of Betaclean 3350 but I assume that's a different product, though not really looked into it.