Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Model/mileage decision - opinions gratefully received! - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Model/mileage decision - opinions gratefully received!

mmhexeter

Read the small print on LV multi car cover. When I looked, all drivers had to live at the same address, this was about 5 years ago. Quote was cheap but didn't work for me and it wasn't easily clear that this clause was in the T&Cs.

Justin

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the heads up.  I think they may have changed that as I enquired about adding my daughter who lives elsewhere, but for now me, my wife and our three cars are all at the same address.  If I buy any more cars though, that may change….

Probably not directly relevant but for general information, I am currently selling my “station” car.  I am insured for that car with Hastings direct and have always found the process of changing cars (selling / buying privately) is made a bigger problem because of the insurance.  Step in Hastings.  I’ve been able to add the new car onto the policy as well as my existing car for 2 weeks temporarily for £46.  This gives me time to sell privately.  In terms of the bargaining power that provides as opposed to part exing it’s well worth it.  Not sure if other companies do this too.

On 25/01/2023 at 10:29, mmhexeter said:

Thanks. Called AA yesterday, with the first chap telling me that the charge - if any - would be similarly low to yours, but when I then spoke to a sale assistant they claimed that they couldn't do it, full stop. Back to square one!

The clue there is in the title - “sale” assistant.  I wonder what the difference on his/her commission is for a swap over versus a new policy…. I’d try again - with a supervisor Given you’ve had conflicting information from two members of their team.  

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 25/01/2023 at 10:35, Bibs said:

Have you tried AIB, they're our insurance partner?

I have been with them with several cars for 10plus years but this year something has changed . I have 3 policies due this month one has gone from £600 to £1600, a second from 690 to 1150 and a third from 300 to 750. Have had cheaper quotes on line so looks like AIB are going to loose all my business

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Unfortunately my AIB quote was really to high than compared to other quotes even with 20% discount 

they did inform me that if I dropped by annual mileage to sub 5k I would make a big saving ? 

If you have more than one car, Admiral are particularly good.

Otherwise, try Confused.com and pump up your excess for the first (painful) year?

See my post above reference multi car policies. Read the small print.

You have to shop around on insurance. Every type. Buildings, cars, PL, everything and every year. 

My PL on the plumbing company was £2,200 renewal with Aviva, up from £1,900. No claims in all our 23 years. They would not budge so I spent 3 hours on the web, went direct to AXA at £1,200. 

AXA will no doubt bump it up next year and I will shop around again.

Justin