Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Model/mileage decision - opinions gratefully received! - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Model/mileage decision - opinions gratefully received!

mmhexeter

Dear all,

Having read enormous numbers of threads on this excellent forum (and various reviews across the length and breath of the internet!), I was hoping I could ask for your opinions on quite a specific buying scenario please. I currently have a Vauxhall VX220 Turbo, which has given me the taste for Lotus engineering, but which isn't practical enough to be a daily driver for me (so will remain as a weekend car).

I settled on an Evora (BMW i8 being my only other option for a mid-engined 'four' seater sports car), and am now in a position to buy, and have a decision to make. Am I better off opting for an older 2009 standard model with around 60k miles on the clock and priced just under £30k... or stretching to around £10k more for an 'S' that's around 9 years old and has half the mileage? Both have full service histories and look to be in good aesthetic condition.

I realise there are lots of variables to cover here, but would gratefully welcome any thoughts or feedback. I'm really excited to join this excellent community, and offer many thanks in advance for your advice.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Personally I'd be happier with a newer/lower mileage car even for a bit more cash. I know some on here prefer the real of a NA.

Are you based somewhere near Exeter - from your username?

Oh and welcome to TLF.

• Like 2

Hi Keith, thanks v much for your reply and advice. I'm certainly leaning towards the same conclusion.

I went to university there (many moons ago!), and have held onto the email address ever since. Many happy memories of the area, and I have aunts/uncles/cousins in Somerset too, so occasionally travel back down. I'm in East Sussex now.

Welcome! As Keith said, lower mileage seems to be key but the cars do wear their miles very well, although prices don't reflect this and higher mileage cars are often cheaper. 

In real terms, the NA and S aren't miles apart in performance and the NA is cheaper to run but it depends on what you're after out of the car. For a stronger residial, go with the lower miles. For that low down grunt, opt for the supercharged car but both are hilarious fun once you're over 4.5k on the rev counter! Have you seen our long term reviews on here? 

https://www.thelotusforums.com/category/latest-news/long-term-tests/ - they're in date of publication so start at the end for the first reviews of the NA, S, NA IPS and S IPS then Sports Racer, 400 and GT410. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

For regular use, I think the N/A would be better.  The S does have more grunt and it does show but you'll pay for it at the pumps, I once saw 29mpg from my S on a very long run, but other than than it was 20mpg; just about fine for a weekend toy but the costs add up quite quickly the more use it, which you'll want to do!

This is just my opinion of course!

Do you mind depreciation? If you buy a low miler and add 10,000 miles per annum, it's gonna depreciate. Particularly if it's a later S as your 'in' price will be higher.

For near certain low depreciation, buy an early car with 50k+ miles. 

Repair bills is pot luck. My pal owned an early NA in 2022, 7,000 miles he covered, no bills and he sold it for what he paid. I owned a Sport 410, 14,000 miles in 2 years, no bills save standard service but it depreciated a small amount as it was a 4000 miler on purchase in 2021. Sport 410 is a rare car though, so depreciation less than a 400 or S. 

My NA I bought in 2018 with a years warranty. 2010 car, 50k miles, now 77k. Depreciation probably 10%. Repair bills a bit high as I was unlucky with a historic gearbox issue on early CR box but that is a rare failure and cured by 2011 (long box is not affected).  I don't intend to sell so the gearbox bill will amortise over a long period. I use the car all year round, so I expect bills. If it was a Sunday best car, it would almost certainly cost much less to maintain.

Justin

• Like 2

I would try and test drive each car as it’s limited market,  I would say buy the car you enjoyed to drive 

don’t worry about mileage as it all depends on what length of ownership you want? 
i Hope to carry my ownership until the day I pass onto the kids most likely my daughter (she 11 now) so hopefully when she in mid 20’s she be driving it as i will be in early 70’s ! Lol 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mmhexeter said:

I'm in East Sussex now.

So you are not too far from 2 Lotus dealers, the recently opened Lotus Sussex and the long serving B&C a bit east of Guildford. A load of TLF members know B&C well.

Also a new dealer a bit further away in Kent.

Thanks Justin - I hadn't even thought about the depreciation element, so that's really helpful. Naturally I'm still torn though! Insurance quotes also seem to be coming in massively differently... more than double the price for the 'S' versus the 'NA'

• Gold FFM

I think as others have said, depends on your usage and ownership length. If you get it cheaper because it's higher miles, then you probably won't get much depreciation. If you buy a low miler and rarely use it, again, but much depreciation.

If you buy a low miler and daily it circa 10-12k miles a year, depreciation could be quite high. If you did that with a high miler that you but at a decent price, no problem!

Cheers Clive - yes, I have to remind myself that, in many ways, it can be that simple of a decision... which brings the most pleasure

Funny you should mention them Keith, as I have a test drive of an 'S' at the Lewes branch on Weds!

Cheers Stephen - yes, I don't have a commute, so could see myself managing 5k miles or less per year

3 hours ago, mmhexeter said:

Cheers Clive - yes, I have to remind myself that, in many ways, it can be that simple of a decision... which brings the most pleasure

Funny you should mention them Keith, as I have a test drive of an 'S' at the Lewes branch on Weds!

Cheers Stephen - yes, I don't have a commute, so could see myself managing 5k miles or less per year

Let us know what you think of that silver car - it’s been discussed at length on the other thread!

As for what is best for you, honestly I think you have to see/touch/feel/drive both options and see which gives you the bigger grin (or tingle in the trouser department).

And then justify whatever the cost is accordingly :)

Also worth pointing out that it is possible to combine the elements - NA doesn’t have to be older/higher miles and S doesn’t have to be newer/lower miles. Which would narrow the price difference considerably.

Personally with Evoras I would buy on history and condition over mileage - I’ve seen quite a few tatty ones at surprisingly low miles, (and it’s not worth paying extra for the low mileage on those). And equally - whilst a mint higher mileage car will likely carry a price reflecting the mileage, I wouldn’t let the mileage put me off if it’s been well looked after. It’s the cosmetics and ancillaries that wear on these if not looked after - the mechanicals will do 300k easy.

Edited by jerzybondov
  • Like 2

Worth noting the the close ratio box or not will be the biggest factor on fuel economy on the NA 

Without the CR box people have seen fairly high MPG numbers i think

I have a NA with the CR box & my average is around 27mpg will go low 30's on a run no bother 

• Like 1

Have a good test drive today (- its snowing here in Exeter.)

ps the tax on my 430 will go down to 165 in 2024.

• Gold FFM

Yeah ^^ that is super annoying. It also encourages you to buy a newer car with a bigger engine which seems to be in opposition to the point of these tax schemes, but who knows!

Anyway, yes my NA is CR and I would agree, around 27mpg in normal mixed use around 33-34 on a run. I believe the LR can see 40 if you have a good tail-wind, down hill on a traffic free day.

• Like 1

On fuel economy, does anyone know how accurate the onboard computer is? 

I haven't bothered to measure it the old fashioned way, but the computer in my S tells me I usually get 26mpg from a tank, and I've had 32-33 on an economy run.  This is on premium unleaded.

I’ve done a few brim to brim calculations on my S - and to my surprise it’s the only car I’ve experienced where the trip computer reliably under-estimates true mpg - by a significant margin (4mpg) on average. 

So trip computer will say 23mpg on a run (80mph, say) but a brim to brim will show you did 27+. Very strange! Not sure if this is typical on an S?

Thanks @jerzybondov, I will have to experiment measuring mine properly and report back.  The indicated 32-33mpg was down from Scotland where we were trying to make it as far as possible before having to stop, so we hovered around 65mph.

• Like 1