Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fitting post-85 front shocks on pre-85. Doesnt work. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Fitting post-85 front shocks on pre-85. Doesnt work.

• 2 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Andyww how much do you tighten the top rubber mounts on the reproduced SJ shocks? I could not find any recommendations in the service manual. Following your lead, I’m in the process of replacing my modified, post 85 shocks to the new SJ shocks. Any advise is much appreciated here mate.

Ad initium

Great advice Andy, including the 15mm height difference resolution. I have exactly the same observation on mine. Will try to fix that too then. Thanks mate 👍

Ad initium

I have no idea if this is relevant or helpful, so ignore it if it is no use or obvious!

to stop a threaded shaft from rotating and travelling I use two nuts locked into one another to hold one end still and stop the threaded shaft from travelling. 

20 minutes ago, LotuStuart said:

I have no idea if this is relevant or helpful, so ignore it if it is no use or obvious!

to stop a threaded shaft from rotating and travelling I use two nuts locked into one another to hold one end still and stop the threaded shaft from travelling. 

Its almost relevant. On the front end where there is plenty of room there are indeed 2 nuts fitted. On the rear end there is only one and its only just accessible as its right up against the body so you can hold it but not turn it. So you have to turn the front end with the locknuts and the shaft therefore turns.
Actually I think you can access the rear single nut through a hole in the body but it would mean tearing out the footwell carpet which would likely damage it. I seem to recall on the Europa there is a rubber bung in a body access hole here.

• 3 months later...

The SJ shocks are good for ride and performance. 

Only factor I cant comment on yet is durability as I have still done very few miles on them.

• Gold FFM

Thanks Andy - I don't need to do mine yet - but it would be good to have the standard Lotus ride if possible 

• 1 month later...
On 11/08/2023 at 05:16, madmax said:

the front suspension can be 'dangerous' to disassemble with those springs.

With the right spring compressor it was actually quite straight forward both front and rear. IMG_0266_Original.jpeg.ae6e3c3684ee4a65351586d0b73b9329.jpegIMG_0228_Original.jpeg.82cea635c093e907cec7f15f02bbee31.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Wow - those spring compressors look formidable. I have seen similar ones on here on various posts but have only found the rather precarious 'hook' type readily available for sale. I have a pair of these and I don't think they're up to an Esprit front spring compression.

I like the look of the ones in your picture as they seem well up to the job, but I note that you're based in Detroit so if anywhere has some decent spring compressors, Detroit will - they're massive!

Thanks - it gives me something to aim for when I eventually get to the front end rebuild

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The hook type are more than capable of esprit springs. I use them in situ to release tension on the coilovers when adjusting the spring plate. torque them both a little at a time to keep the spring straight. Dont forget the Esprit is a fairly light car so poundage isnt huge 

• Like 1