Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2023 and new beginnings….. what next. - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

2023 and new beginnings….. what next.

• Gold FFM

Tbf - slip gets used on anything I might have to remove again. Care must be taken with bushes though - since the lotus ones don’t like lube.

anyway - all calipers have been off, cleaned, worked on the bench to ensure they work freely. All back on the car now, new flexis fitted and the system bled up. The car has brakes again 😎

the second set of alloys are now gracing the car - the others are down having the tyres removed and refurb. Just need to source some new rubber now

• Like 1

Only here once

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

It’s been a few days of thinking - tooth sucking and planning. Oh and a dirty weekend with the plus one which didn’t involve cars 😂

The old back to work and school runs have sucked my time this week. But….. I now have a full set of refurbed wheels with new tyres back in my possession. Enroute from Alunox is a new manifold. Next up is to get the service items on order for the engine I require and assess the plan. 

what I really need is my steam cleaner from my own garage at the farm - but I’m not willing to collect that at this stage. The entire garage of mine up there needs emptying and I just ain’t got the space.

Only here once

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

inlet and exhaust manifolds off. Black stuff at the powder coaters.

today - I sat and tooth sucked. But the bullet and oiled up the cam lobes and buckets - some oil down the bores and turned her over by hand.

yep - all looks good so far. There’s compression there - all the valves look to be opening and shutting just fine. Feels like compression on all four. 

need to get the feeler gauges out and check clearances - but now it’s time to order parts.

the pulleys look to be a tooth out each though - both green dot pulleys. Need to have a hunt on what they should be.85EFEB48-8B5E-431C-90DA-B276AEC4B65A.jpeg.034a9314d74977bf2dff293abc3fd1bb.jpeg

• Like 1

Only here once

The green dot pulleys are correct. From what I can find, all Turbo Esprit came with green dot 104° pulleys, except NAS and the later Stevens, that had red/blue 110°/100° timing because of emissions.

In that picture, both cams seem to be advanced 1 tooth too much. Easy enough to correct.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

After a slight delay in proceedings last night I managed an hour down the shed. One tank internal cleared of all debris and gunk - just the other to do now.

life’s been hectic and I’ve just had other priorities like assisting in revision for the youngest and her A level mocks - those are over and now she’s learning to drive so every night we are also out driving. I’m aiming to get on that car every night for at least an hour from now on 💪

• Like 1

Only here once

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Nope - I’ve failed 😂

both tanks are clear of mess though. 10/12 exhaust manifold studs are out - only two remain and they are problematic and will need some extreme fire to free them.

I now have the thinners to complete the tank cleaning prior to sealing.

• Like 1

Only here once

• 7 months later...

Well I guess it will run better when you sort the timing out.  NB - As I'm sure you will be aware, you are missing your earth strap from the tensioner, which protects the bearing from static discharge & erosion (not that I've ever actually see that occur)   

• Gold FFM

I noted that @910Esprit - I have a full rebuild kit for the tensioner that has that bit in it.

Just had a chat with Dave whom has confirmed green dot pulleys are indeed correct for the car - so I will get the belt sorted and timed up tomorrow.

Only here once

Gosh, that engine looks really pretty!  Nice.

As ever, I'm in awe as to what you mechanical types can do.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

Today was prep the cabin time. A few brackets prepped and painted.

New carpets are on order from the one and only carpet guru @Steve V8and since they are so incredible it’s only right they are put into a clean cabin.

Leather trim that was removed now in the side in the kitchen soaking in Naf leather soap - this stuff is about the best you will ever find to make leather supple again - I’ve tried loads of different stuff but this is without doubt the best there is. We will do the dash and door cards tomorrow.IMG_3145.jpeg.49543fecfbd8bdf861465523e74731ef.jpegIMG_3150.jpeg.7762b7e73af9a3bd6cbd1f780a2b0819.jpegIMG_3154.jpeg.ce03bb4755ff0daccceac7eec63617d7.jpeg

• Like 2

Only here once

seen that ad on tv several times, makes me realise how good it still looks.

• Like 2