Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replaced Belt Chirping - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Replaced Belt Chirping

Hi all,

I've just had the belt replaced on my Exige and it's chirping.

The installer said it will go away after a few miles as it's will automatically correct itself as it wears in.  I've done 40 miles since fitting.

Has anyone had something similar occur?

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Get a screwdriver and put it to your ear and then touch it against the various pulleys. You may have a bad bearing in a tensioner pulley.

Does the chirp change as the engine gets warmer?

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Ummm, touch a screwdriver against rotating pulleys?

• Haha 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Sure. Not against the direction of rotation though. If the pulley runs on a bearing, the centre would be stationary, I suspect.

I don't know the setup of the front of the V6 though, so my idea may not be relevant. Just haven't heard of a belt chirping. It may make a noise that is constant, but a chirp I would expect is a bearing/rotating element.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Yep.

• 11 months later...

Yes, it seems to be a problem a few of us are now having since changing the drive belt. Mine was sounding horrendous earlier as it was wet, it’s not so bad in the dry and disappears after an hour or so of driving.