Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Silverstone Festival - Regions & Events - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Silverstone Festival

Escape

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

We had the retrorun yesterday (great day out!), so couldn't do the parade lap. And we were parked just on the outside instead of with the other Lotus as well. We will get to do a parade lap today, I hope with a shorter queue...

When we came to visit the Lotus stand, MB was just there blabbering, so we quickly moved on. We'll be back today though. Chances are I wont reckognise anyone, but we will be admiring the cars! I was told there were 2 other Elan JPS. 😎 And great to finally see an Emira in the flesh, as well as the Type 62-2.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

8 minutes ago, Bibs said:

... although a 3 day show can be quite hard work. 

Some, like Mark, go for the full 3 days every year.  I usually do just one.  I'd say this one was less well supported by the clubs than in the past and it was missing the top end.  A few years back, Porkers filled 4 fields - they had abut 40 cars there this time,  I've previously seen a whole field of Mc'ers but only one car this year - and that on Sporting Bears.  No Lambos that I noticed.  Fezzas down to about 30 cars.  No TVR club but a handful around other places.  On the upside, Maserati were better than normal and Lotus excellent - maybe the 75th influence.

The classic racing on track was as good s ever.  And access to the pits was, as always, better even than Goodwood. 

Interesting that the Auction was "Iconic Auctions" and not Silverstone Auctions this year - some of the cars not up to the best standard, not seen that before.

I agree that three days would be hard work, but the guys that do it seem to go for the ambience/evening music entertainment as much as the car stuff and find it good value.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Sorry I missed you Mike. Been here for 3 days but so much to see and do.

Just said to Jeremy" By the way, it is fucking good beer" He said "Yes it is. Its about the only thing I've ever done right" LOL 🤣

20230826_091146.jpg

20230826_091158.jpg

20230827_124510.jpg

20230827_125050.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MPx said:

A few years back, Porkers filled 4 fields - they had abut 40 cars there this time,  I've previously seen a whole field of Mc'ers but only one car this year - and that on Sporting Bears.  No Lambos that I noticed.  Fezzas down to about 30 cars.  No TVR club but a handful around other places.  On the upside, Maserati were better than normal and Lotus excellent - maybe the 75th influence.

I was told the Porker presence had become a bit overwhelming, so they were moved to their own area, at the end of the Hanger Straight. Pretty much out of sight. There were loads of them on the parade lap Saturday night. 😉

I counted 3 Lambo's, including a beautiful green Jarama that did the parade lap on Friday. I thought it was all very impressive, but I can't compare. We were a bit (pleasantly) surprised to see more Emiras than MC's. 🙂 

@Rambo I considered trying/buying some of Jeremy's beer, but the price was quite steep and I didn't see a dark one (my preference). I could have gotten the cider for a mate, I'll just have to stop somewhere else on the way back to get him something.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

17 hours ago, MPx said:

Interesting that the Auction was "Iconic Auctions" and not Silverstone Auctions this year - some of the cars not up to the best standard, not seen that before.

It’s the same company. They’ve just rebranded. The official line is that they feel they have outgrown the Silverstone name, since they have sales at other locations. Personally I think it’s because they no longer want to pay the Silverstone name licensing fee…

20 hours ago, MPx said:

Some, like Mark, go for the full 3 days every year.  I usually do just one.  I'd say this one was less well supported by the clubs than in the past and it was missing the top end.  A few years back, Porkers filled 4 fields - they had abut 40 cars there this time,  I've previously seen a whole field of Mc'ers but only one car this year - and that on Sporting Bears.  No Lambos that I noticed.  Fezzas down to about 30 cars.  No TVR club but a handful around other places.  On the upside, Maserati were better than normal and Lotus excellent - maybe the 75th influence.

The classic racing on track was as good s ever.  And access to the pits was, as always, better even than Goodwood. 

I agree that three days would be hard work, but the guys that do it seem to go for the ambience/evening music entertainment as much as the car stuff and find it good value.

By way of comparison, at the Le Mans Classic, there were 1,500 Porsche’s in their club area.

Margate Exotics.

A couple of snapshots, the Saturday lunchtime Lotus parade taken from the Silverstone Six grandstand with Roger Mahklouf's Elan Plus 2 Shooting Brake 'Estralle' centre stage......... Lotus75parade.jpg.d7d44b678835aa5bff28758afa3eacdb.jpg

........and the Sunday RetroRun with Filip's JPS +2 moving faster than its German neighbours! (screenshot from the excellent livestreamed coverage of all 3 day's track action, still available on YouTube)

RetroRun23withJPS.jpg.174285b37824e01c1ad72aaf79cdb9ce.jpg

• Like 2

We've made it back safe and sound, we had a great weekend but now a bit tired. My own fault, for taking a night ferry so we could spend another day as tourists in UK. 😄 Luckily working from home today.

My better halve says she still hears the engines when she closes her eyes. But she does want to come back next year. She took loads of photos, I'll try and muster the courage to go through them and post a few relevant ones here. 

• Like 2

No, that wasn't us. We were parked at the RetroRun stand, as we did the run to the Cotswolds first (beautiful scenery and very well organised!). I did spot another JPS +2 both on Friday and Saturday and was told there was another one on old type plates on Saturday as well. I need to send Trevor a message to find out if it was him. Too bad we didn't get to park all 3 side by side. I did consider asking to park on the LDC stand but as the whole site was quite cowded it didn't seem like a good idea to move about too much. Maybe next year, on the TLF stand? 🙂 Though I kinda fancy taking the Esprit next year (if only to set myself a deadline).

This year, yes, but what's to keep the usual suspects from getting something set up for next year? 😉

I'd be happy to help as well.

@Bibs, buying all new stuff, is that where the money from the Gold FFMs goes to? 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those were some of the (many) highlights!

Was there on Sunday and bumped in to Adrian. Was a bit wet around lunch time, but was great to see the historic F1 cars again.

I remember the one and only year we had a stand there and it was a total mud bath I was the only one parked there as everyone turned round and parked along with Club Lotus once they spotted the mud. Spent the evening washing off the mud in the hotel car park, good job I was only staying there one night 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1