Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 18/19 tyres 2023+ - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 18/19 tyres 2023+

Any reviews or experience with the latest batch of UUHP tyres, specifically on an Evora with the standard 225/40/18 and 255/35/19 fitment?

Mich PS4S has been the gold standard for seven years, but in Australia I have only seen the 18s become available last month(!). Reviews I have seen suggest the flag bearer is now Conti CSC7, and the Bridgestone Potenza Sport and Eagle F1 Supersport are now playing at the same level. But I’ve yet to see reviews of these fitted to a mid-rear layout, especially with staggered fitment.

My car is mostly used for drives in the hills, with perhaps one or two track days a year, which makes a Cup 2 style tyre probably too compromised a choice for me.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I did have PS4S on rear and PS4 on front and was very happy with that combo. Just changed the rears for PS5 and equally as happy. Only negative with the 5s is that there is no real protection to the rims of the forged alloys PS4S were better in this respect. Handling and ride though is still superb. The 5s saved me £80 which is why I went for them.

I have GY F1 Supersports fitted in 18/19. I'm extremely pleased with them, yes there's a bit more tire noise than the PS4s, but the tire is also a bit more capable in hard driving. I've taken it on track day as well and it handled both wet and dry track very well, the wearing is also surpisingly good. The car eagerly rotates around the front on braking, but is amazingly stable on throttle, just as Evora should be. To get the best out of them, I have to run about 1.9 bar front 2.1 bar rear. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Seb said:

more tire noise than the PS4s

To clarify, do you mean PS4 or PS4S here?

Thanks guys, that's a couple of votes for GY F1 SS. I've seen on the tyre reviews site it's listed as the best UUHP tyre for occasional track work, a bit compromised (in the wet) compared to CSC7 or PS4S if exclusively road use. Probably works well for me, as most of my driving is recreational, so usually look for good weather. Good to hear it works on a wet track too, in case a booked trackday has poor weather!

RE: PS4/PS5, most reviews regard them as a step down from my current PSS, in terms of handling, feel and track work. Certainly great allrounders and perfect for a daily driver.

9 hours ago, r3nault said:

To clarify, do you mean PS4 or PS4S here?

Both are plusher when compared to GY SuperSports. Closest comparison in terms of comfort and performance is actually PSS (even though discontinued), but I think Goodyears F1 SS still perform better in the wet and also when pushing hard. 

• Thanks 1

My understanding of the (U)UHP tyre market  ... 

• PS4S for a daily driver.
  • CSC7 for a road car still used fairly regularly but more fun blasts rather than commuting.
  • GY F1 SS for occasional track day and fun road car.
  • Cup2 for mostly track days and dry and hot road blasts.

I have experience with Michelins but not the others (yet) so it's based on reviews and feedback from others.  PS4S really is still the everyday tyre to get from Mich.  Its takes the best of both the PS4 and SS and combines in a better package.  The new Mich PS5 is not aimed at the UHP / UUHP market so while its great tyre for a family saloon, it will not provide the kinda things folks in a sports car want.  There is a PS5S but I think currently it OEM only but hopefully sometime soon will be available on normal market.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Disscusion regarding the Pilot Sport S 5 is here. It's not the aftermarket "Pilot Sport 5S" or whatever Michelin will call the successor to the Pilot Sport 4S tyre as far as I understand. It's a waiting game regarding the tyre that will be a true aftermarket replacement for the Pilot Sport 4S.

The Pilot Sport 5 is the successor to the Pilot Sport 4 however. Both are UHP tyres optimised for road usage (Dunlop has a good definition of what is a UHP on their website by the way https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/consumer/why-dunlop/we-dont-perform-we-ultra-high-perform.html). The Pilot Sport 4, and hence the Pilot Sport 5, is a perfectly adeqaute for fast road driving with an early NA Evora (my Launch Edition has vanilla PS4 aftermarket tyres fitted and the performance is fine as I tend to use the car more in its "GT" role given that I have an Elise for  track bashing). I wouldn't take one on track with them fitted though, nor would I fit the Pilot Sport 5 to an Evora S or Evora 4xx. Those cars deserve the more track focussed UUHP tyres like the Pilot Sport 4S.

In the meantime I think Pilot Sport 4S will lose market share to the Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport, Continental SportContact 7 and Bridgestone Potenza Sport.

Just as a digression, an interesting entry to the market is the Bridgestone Potenza Race that to me looks like a competitor to the Michelin Cup 2. and is avaible in Evora 18"/19" sizes.

BridegstonePotenzaRace.PNG.3e939c65f01dfc5dc49f043972abadf8.PNG

Back to the main thrust of this thread though, tyre choice depends, as mentioned above, on the intended usage. Other metrics will of course influence the decision making like cost and availability in the correct sizes etc. I think that any of the alternative UUHP tyres to the Pilot Sport 4S you mentioned @r3nault, i.e. Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport, Bridgestone Potenza Sport and Continental SportContact 7, will be a great choice.  Here's a good comparison review from a tyre reviewer on YouTube that I rate highly, especially as I'm getting into tyre technology as I have the ambition to sprint race the Elise next year: https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm. He didn't do a UUHP review for 2023 though, but I hope he does for 2024.

• Like 2

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

Thanks @EuropaSman, and I was also basing my selection off the same review :) I’m currently on PSS so any of PS4S, CSC7, BPS or GYF1SS will be a decent upgrade. I’m definitely now leaning towards the Goodyears, as for my purpose - mainly hills and occasional track day but still need to be able to drive in the wet - they make the most sense. Especially as conditions here are typically warmer than in the UK, so track  temps will be higher.

I don’t think I’m quite due for tyres yet, so maybe PSS5 will become an option - in which case I am keen to see the reviews!

• Like 1