Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ownership question - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ownership question

Skeeter

Hi all,

I am considering filling a hole in my garage with an Esprit, anything from 1994 onwards as the interior looks a lot better. I am not that fussed whether it is a 4 or 8 cylinder.

I will only use the car very occasionally, a high days and holidays car. 

Does anybody have any experience as to how react to that sort of treatment, especially if left connected to a battery conditioner for a couple of months at a time. Also fair to say that I live in the Highlands so winter can be harsh so the car could be parked up for 3/4 months at a time.

I have just sold my Cortina 1600e and this was fine used like this, a trickle charger and a squirt of easy start and it was fine.

TIA

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
2 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Does anybody have any experience as to how react to that sort of treatment, especially if left connected to a battery conditioner for a couple of months at a time.

I'm sure others who actually use their cars as you describe will come along soon but the quick answer is yes.

Checkout Lotusespritworld buyers advice and these buying guides

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/features/buyers-guide-lotus-esprit-1987-2004

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-buying-guides/lotus-esprit-turbo-ph-used-buying-guide/38391

Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

4 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Also fair to say that I live in the Highlands ...

The highlands of Dorset??  Over the border in the highlands of Somerset what you describe is much like the life that Lionel now leads.  Dont know much about the reliability of post 94 youngsters...but when used as my daily my '86 G-car seemed to go "better", but it still doesn't really go wrong and of course it was also 30 years younger then.   They really don't give much trouble if you make sure they have an annual service regardless of milage and that includes all of the described checks, not just the oil change.  Also new belts every 4 years - again regardless of use. 

One of the few outings I do each year is to Castle Combe and enjoy some gentle track action.  In 2022 I managed to blow the engine and have just got it back from its rebuild.  It blew because the wastegate was rusted siezed and it would have overboosted - blew a chunk (actually 2 chunks) off piston 1.  That sort of seizing up with rust is a consequence of lack of use.  Affects the ultra shiney garage queens just as much as any other car.  So usage is best, but careful maintenance and proper checking and acting on what you find is a good enough second.  No different to a 1600E.

• Like 2

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I have a 88 Stevens X180. Every year the car has been put to bed over the winter in a dry area - attached to charger. Touch wood - no problems with first fire-up on or around the start of April - after being put to sleep end of October. It always has a six month oil change on top of Lotus service plan. Hope that helps.

Thanks all, that is good to hear, the search is on.

Sorry for not updating my profile, I moved to the Scottish Highlands a couple of years ago :)

ps just looked out of the bedroom window and we have our first snow of the year……

Edited by Skeeter
To add PS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a '76 S1 and this year I have used it only 3 times for 10 minutes each time. It is left on a battery conditioner all the time and the longest I've left it without it moving or starting is 18 months. I've never had a problem with it and so far it has always started.

• Like 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

9 hours ago, rudolphwolven said:

My Esprit at home in 1995.........

Lotus-Esprit-2-JPG-small-2.jpg

Nice looking car, what colour is that?

Cheers,

John W

17 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Ruud's old car is Steel Blue I believe. 

All the good ones are... :)

• Like 2

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

@ Bibs and @ jonwat :

Indeed the Esprit's colour is "Steel Blue" ...

The reflection of the paint differs along the day / from clear / sunny whether to dark afternoon....

Edited by rudolphwolven