Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is electric really the answer? - Page 10 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Is electric really the answer?

@Bibs - thanks - although I don't believe that contains the discussion I remember so must have been in another recoding I saw. Shows you how the 'old memory' fades 

Also the SMMT are asking the government to remove VAT on Plug-in cars - we'll see what happens there.....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/smmt-chancellor-remove-vat-plug-cars

Edited by KAS-118

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The Evija was built from scratch to be electric and has no luggage space and is made from Carbon fibre. and the batteries will be worth 3/4s of the cars value.

we are talking real world here, look at all the "normal" electric SUV type cars, the batteries are huge unless you only need the shops and back capacity, and at this point to have any decent range I'm talking real world range of an average petrol car distance of 700k non stop which my D5 VOLVO does, electric cars you need half the car made of batteries.

You need Cooling systems and they require service just like a petrol car for hot climates radiators and fans for heat sycs Heating systems for cold climates, Regenerative braking systems bigger brakes due to the weight.

Electric cars might be good at towing but that reduces the range by half.

12 hours ago, au-yt said:

I'm sure I read the other day that sitting on motorway at 80mph also reduces the range by half! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Don't put the stereo and heated seats on either...

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

It never ceases to amaze me, when you look at EVs - everything is powered. If you want to extend range then use wind up windows and get rid of all unnecessary add ons.

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

1 hour ago, oilmagnet477 said:

and get rid of all unnecessary add ons.

Starting with the wife and kids!

• Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

It never ceases to amaze me, when you look at EVs - everything is powered. If you want to extend range then use wind up windows and get rid of all unnecessary add ons.

Which is powered from the onboard 12v battery rather than the Ev power train battery. 

Only here once

19 hours ago, au-yt said:

The number of electric cars type approved for towing in the UK is tiny. We're talking just four or five models and none of those are capable of the full 3500kgs tow weight. The Model X has the largest towing capacity at a mere 2270kgs. The E-Tron and EQC can tow just 1800kgs whereas the I-Pace is a miserly 750kgs. They've got some way to go before they are comparable with even a 25 year old Discovery. 

Australia has one of the slowest uptakes of Electric cars of any country and for good reason cost as they most fall into the Luxury car tax bracket >29,000UKP they have short range will be anything other than town car show ponies in Australia due to the distances.

Yes there are charging stations between Sydney an Melbourne and some country towns have some and the network is growing as per the Tesla map. Australia is now not dissimilar to the US where are only a few small cars available. large pickup trucks are very common and now Holden is no more the biggest selling cars here is the Toyota Hilux and similar lots,

To Give you some idea these two pictures and one is an unashamed plug for Australia will put the size of Australia into context

Australia V Europe.jpg

aust-usa-map.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Bibs said:

I went to test drive in Ioniq earlier in the week and it wouldn't start as the 12v was dead :lol:

No it won’t 🤭 the 12v does all the control circuits. 

You will however be surprised at the all electric Hyundai’s - they are a long way removed from the Pony.

Only here once

17 hours ago, Bibs said:

I went to test drive in Ioniq earlier in the week and it wouldn't start as the 12v was dead :lol:

That was "rather Ioniq"!

• Haha 2

The small print.

I see the 1st Dedicated EV Service Station, with 24 Charging points, is going to be opening in Essex this Summer; with a planned Nationwide Network at 100 locations within the next 5 years. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/gridserve-open-dedicated-ev-service-station-summer-2020

I also note the Service Station itself is solar powered with its own integrated battery storage units. 

2.5 acre site for 24 cars...???  I realise there are facilities on site as well but at that sort of car count, you'd need to book in advance!

I see the Government are committing to increase the Charging Points - so no-one is more than 30 miles away from one - and the changes in Salary Sacrifice could make a Tesla 3 42% Cheaper if purchased through a 48 month finance deal. https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1253820/car-tax-2020-changes-electric-cars-budget-2020-benefit-in-kind

I'm not clear if there's a max cap on that - so I'm not clear if the more expensive versions would also benefit?

3 hours ago, scotty435 said:

Top motoring journalists is very impressed with the Tesla model3.

Yeah, I have to agree I think the ‘tipping point’ has now been reached where really, for the majority of the time and the majority of the people, you could live with an electric vehicle.

As for his feeling of the lack of engagement, and the fact he didn’t want a 4-door saloon, you have to think there’s a market for a sports car company that is renowned for producing some of the finest handling cars there are - to produce a pretty coupe - which could fit the bill. Obviously the sound could be an issue - but I believe you can get a modification done that will give the Tesla 3 a nice burble of a V8. As artificial as that may be it’s not so entirely different to a petrol engine car having to have valves fitted to its exhaust to give it a more sporty sound.

It was also good to hear how easy he found recharging- let’s face it, on a 300 mile trip who wouldn’t really stop for about 20 mins for a coffee refill? In any event, if it forces tired drivers to take a bit of a break - then that’s not a bad thing IMHO. 

Edited by KAS-118
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pete said:

Looks promising,wonder how long to charge

And that is a good questions with sadly not official answer. This article suggests it will be significantly quicker https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31409442/samsung-solid-state-battery-revealed/ but no figures are put on it. 

I see the prices for the fully electric XC40 have been announced - at £53,155; which seems expensive next to the Polestar - and not very well placed for UK Tax.

Weight is also a 'tad' high at 2,150kg compared to 1,497kg for the combustion engine version.

Storage wise it has 413ltr + 35ltr = 448ltr, compared to 460ltr for the ICE - and it also loses 36mm of ground clearance.

However, a 0-60mph in 4.9secs doesn't seem too bad 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volvo-xc40-recharge-prices-revealed-electric-suv

OK, so that is around £15k more expensive than an equivalent petrol or diesel version at £38-40k.  That's a hell of a lot of free" fuel if you buy the petrol or diesel version compared to the EV, and allowing for  the road tax etc I reckon that's about 4 years of fully funded "fuel and tax" for around 15k miles per annum. I bet you would also get a better discount off the non EV version too.

Remind me again why I would buy an EV because the running costs are cheaper?

Fir environmental reasons, maybe. Financial? You're really having a larf!  ;)

The small print.