Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine condition, Compression/leakdown - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine condition, Compression/leakdown

Hi all , I'm after a bit of advice,

I've pulled the engine out of my car to do some work which requires its removal. The engine runs perfectly. Before I did this I ran a compression check which showed all cylinders evenly low, which is bad.

Now the engine is removed I performed a leak down test this shows on between 5-10 percent leakage on all cylinders, which is good/ok.

I then performed another compression check now I'm getting 125 on all 4 on the left bank and 130 on 3 and 140 on the remaining cylinder on the right bank. Should be 150 +/- 10 %

Now I'm in two minds as what to do. leave it or rebuild it. Bear in mind I have another engine stripped that I was going to rebuild and swap with the current engine. Plus is 3-4k just on bolts, gaskets and bearings if nothing needs replacing!

Im tempted to do what I originally planned and put this motor back in the car. Hmm

Thoughts

Cheers 

Andy 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Did you have the throttles fully open when doing the compression test? Usually a leak down tells you more about the state of the engine. That seems good, so a big problem seems unlikely. Apart from the one at 140, all cilinders are very similar as well.

So I'd be tempted to just put it back, especially as you say it was running perfectly and you have another engine to rebuild.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Yes wide open throttle.

I did both, while it was in the car, all between 100 and 120 best. the hot ones were not much different. Odd now they seem better when its out of the car and stone cold.

I assumed it was maybe on the way out and only did the leak down to see where the air was leaking from. When the leak down didn't seem to bad I though id re check the compression and it was 20 % higher on all cylinders.

Is it possible the timing is off slighty some how and valves are a wee bit open screwing up the comp test?   Maybe check that the exh and int timing is 100%.  Cant imagine off a tooth but isnt there a part in the cam belt system on V8 that can get loose and slip and folks drill and add a key.

Erick

That's what I thought could be the problem but alas it wasn't. first thing I checked. easy job with the engine out. tolerance pins fitted with the crank Locked against the marked vane. Also if this was the case the air would be escaping from the valves on the leak down test.

Oh I remember what I was thinking

on the air cooled 911 if the valve adjustment was off a bit it could make a bad compression but the leak down would be good because you can rock the motor back and forth a little until you get the valves to seal

could it be valve lash

sort of same thing but throwing mud 

• 2 months later...

I decided to take the engine apart to inspect it. I'm glad I did. it was previously rebuilt for low compression years ago and I was never overly confident with the build. I took the head off on the side with the lower compression readings. I found loads of silicon still in the waterways, one piece was about 6 inches long and was totally blocking the turbo feed.  A wasp stuck in the head gasket nicely preserved after 20 years! also the bores had been 'honed' but without moving the tool up and down so just lots of horizontal score lines. Also the block had had the old gasket material aggressively scraped off. Cam journals and bearings scored and one cam cap in the wrong place.To finish the head is warped too.

I wonder what the other side is like . hmm......

IMG_0742.jpeg

IMG_0743.jpeg

IMG_0744.jpeg

• Sad 5
  • Shock 2

• 2 weeks later...

It was 24 years ago I bought the car from a performance car dealer down on the south coast uk. I had problems with the car and the garage they used rebuilt the engine. Mind you it has ran ok all the time.

maybe the glycol is a preservative?? Or Im wondering if it had got in the cooling system whan I changed the radiator and some pipe work a couple of years back??.