Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine Code POO24 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine Code POO24

I had my car at lotus about 7-8 weeks ago as I kept getting engine code then limp mode 

this week I got this code but car drives ok no limp mode but it’s does sound like i have a teenager exhaust system which for me i do notice the change in engine tone.

i cleared the code but am I needing to go back to my lotus garage ? I have driven the car as I been on a couple of runs with MLOC recently so had to get the red rings on occasions to keep up the pace with others in group.

IMG_0559.jpeg

Ah it back this afternoon same code 🫣

I parked at school and got OBD reader out checked same as before car sounds as when first reported lotus said not found 

I cleared code and see what happens ? 

Did the garage test the sensor?

Lotus won't find it if you've cleared it but I assume you showed them the picture posted above so they knew what to look at?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Yes I stupidly cleared the code but took a picture and sent it before they looked at it 

I assume they tested the sensor as they told me they checked everything and it all seemed fine ? 
I was worried that I shouldn’t be driving as Jonnys extract indicates a serious fault but car seems ok but I noticed the revs were limited when I tried to give it some beans ? 

• 1 month later...

Just picked up my car after 5 weeks at lotus garage 

the long stay was due to error in parts not sent to garage from Hethel 

however main point I want to address the garage replaced my battery and they now think this was possibly the cause of the engine codes I kept getting pop up on my dash ? 

Could my battery just have sufficient charge level but voltage fluctuates causing the codes to appear?
anyway I am just happy to get car back will take the car down to Thorpe Park so a 150 mile trip down give car a good run? 

I am praying that this will sort it and I take the car for slightly longer runs might help? 
Anyway after £2k bill the £80 seems a drop in ocean , thankfully I hope my redundancy money will pay out soon and I can get a new job offer ASAP 🤨

Dam ! Dam!

started car to drive down to Thorpe Park yesterday the engine and traction light appears 😱

only drove the car back from my garage day before no issue

a code reader said it was memory something i was in rush and it was cleared , I drove the two hours to theme park no problem 

so was it glitch or sign of another issue?

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2024 at 12:58, Cdm2018 said:

started car to drive down to Thorpe Park yesterday the engine and traction light appears 😱

Welcome to the "gremlins chasing club". here is our story .. 

After purchasing the car, I had the ABS light on. Had to return to the garage who replaced the brake light switch, checked the resistance of all the ABS sensors - all were ok, garage checked the continuity of all plugs - no break in the wires.

Collected the car, drove for about 2 hours and then on the following day had a transmission malfunction warning light appearing. The day after that - the engine misfired. Sent faults report  to the garage and was asked to bring the car back. The fault code was multiple cylinder misfire, so the garage changed the spark plugs, it started running fine, malfunction light was off. Also, we decided to change all 4 ABS sensors (one turned out to be faulty) and 4 new tyre pressure sensors as per the Lotus manual (i.e. 10 years old). Test drive - all good. 

Collected the card for 2nd time, two weeks later, when driving on the motorway ( not exceeding 70mph) in Sports mode, all of a sudden, the gear shifts from 6th to 5th and then I got stuck in the 5th permanently. Could not downshift either manually or by changing speed in Drive mode, gear remained in 5th! I exited the motorway and stopped at the traffic light - still in 5th. Restarted the car, when stationary it went straight to 3rd. Also, the car was making some noise remotely reminding me of my "multiple cylinder misfire" experience from a few weeks before. Plugged the faults code reader  and got 0700, 0717 (Input / Turbine Speed Sensor "A" Circuit No Signal), 1613  (Forced Mechanical Limphome Position) and my Evora had to go back to the garage again. Garage read 0717 as "It is another sensor but this one is on the gearbox”. 

While at the garage, we had the output speed sensor in the gearbox replaced. Additionally, the IPS plug is on the outside of the gearbox, was on but not securely. Garage has spoken with Lotus dealer, and they have confirmed that a new engine harness was fitted in 2019. The part of the harness that goes to the gearbox was touching one of the driveshafts (not visible until the air filter box was removed) and had chaffed through the insulation causing an intermittent connection. This probably triggered the fault codes that tell the TCU to stay in 5th gear to reduce engine revs. The garage has done a permanent repair to the harness, rerouted it away from the driveshaft and secured it from moving. The MAF sensor has been cleaned as well.

Collected the card for 3rd time, and had done only 100 miles. After a week took the car for a short drive and after about 15 minutes of driving in very slow-moving traffic (15-25 mph) got on my dashboard "MIL" & "Check transmission" lights illuminated. I stopped the car after about 4 miles, connected the code reader and got P0700 , P0721 codes . The garage came to collect the car again. 

The garage has replaced the gearbox internal wiring harness and refitted the TCU with Stabilant on all electrical contacts. also greased all the plugs the garage could get to.

hoping we have now fixed the issue. I will update if not. most probably connectivity and corrosion problems..  least probably faulty sensors, but we changed all just in case. So far, we have spent many, many hours chasing electrical demons. Luckily for me, most of the labour was covered under warranty. 

Edited by kpoxa

12 hours ago, kpoxa said:

The garage has replaced the gearbox internal wiring harness

At weekend lotus event my garage guys were in attendance and he looked at my OBD reader codes , he remarked that wiring harness could be replacing as he recalls a service note relating to my cars age? Anyway he walked back to his lotus stand and I went to start my car to go home and guess what I got engine warning light code ! So I cleared it and off I went ! 

Yep but as my lotus garage can’t pinpoint the root cause I am caught in limbo state ? I am paying out for the lotus garage to use their software machine to clear the codes ! My car been shipped by AA to lotus in last two months ! 

Mine has been back 4 times .When sensors fail , it’s easy - just replace.  unfortunately, there is no easy way to track down electrical issues. All has to be disconnected, checked , greased and reconnected. Some wiring may need repair or replacement. You may contact Barry from  https://www.barryelysportscars.co.uk who managed to fix my problems. It took him a while but at least he has experience.