Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Been away...coming back - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Been away...coming back

Afternoon,

I've been away from Lotus while my vehicle needs were covered by other brands. Previously had an Elise S, and later an N/A Evora 2+2. Last car was a BMW M2 DCT.

Now I'm in a position to come back to the fold and get a Lotus. But, and it is a first world problem, I can't decide between 2 very different models. I'd appreciate comments from those that have experienced both more fully that the simple test drives that I have.

In the red corner, I have an Elise Cup 250. I love the nimble nature, the potential for more frugal running while delivering the outright driving feels. It just feels the natural evolution of previous vehicles I've had.

In the blue corner, I have an Exige 350 Sport. To my eyes, it's just 'proper'. It's got the looks, the grunt and is squarely in the 'sports car' category. I just feel I wouldn't be disappointed in one. But, it comes at the cost if increased running spend and is bigger /heavier than its opposition.

In terms of operating parameters, this will be the daily driver, but I'd only need it 2days per week. Commute is 40miles / 50mins each way on a motorway from Edinburgh to Perth. Garaged at this end, under cover at the other. No track days as yet, this is all about real world exposure driving purely on public roads (Scottish A roads are fine, B roads may get a bit squeeky).

Don't tell me it's wasted without track use, I appreciate the sentiment but it's going to be one of these two. I don't think an updated Evora is me either I'm afraid, as more of a tourer.

That being said, happy to take (reasonable) comments and suggestions.

Dr Rick

2009 Evora NA in Quartz Silver, black interior, Tech Pack, Sport Pack, 2Bular 3rd cat bypass, Kenwood head unit, black anodised ali bargeboards, GRP Halo rear lights

Welcome back, DrRick. 👋 

I know that you’ve had one before but given a) your lack of track use and b) your planned motorway driving, I’m afraid to say that the answer to your question is: another Evora. 

Or even the ‘Evora in a prettier dress’: an Emira. 

I've owned both models on your short-list for several years each. Also an Evora NA (short box) in basic form and then taken to almost 300 bhp. Considering those experiences and your described use, I agree with Bravo's conclusion above - but not an NA. I trust that you are not basing your view of recent Evoras on your previous NA.

Test drive a GT 410 Sport (repeat, Sport) to assess its "driver's car" qualities before a decision. No, it's not the same as either on your short-list, but very enjoyable indeed. Also, I wouldn't dream of doing your motorway commute in either the Elise or the Exige, other than very short term.

By the way, the Emira is perhaps better than the Evora for your commute, but less so for your "driving" use.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments @Bravo73 and @mdavies. I’m pretty sure that you’re representing my ‘head’ over the two models I’ve noted which would be my ‘heart’ options.

My budget ceiling precludes an Emira unfortunately.

When saying make sure it’s a Sport, are you meaning a GT version? What are thoughts of the 410 Sport that came before?

Also, any thoughts of the auto / IPS vs manual?

Dr Rick

2009 Evora NA in Quartz Silver, black interior, Tech Pack, Sport Pack, 2Bular 3rd cat bypass, Kenwood head unit, black anodised ali bargeboards, GRP Halo rear lights

Exige 350. Probably the best Lotus road car ever. Adored my LF1 and I'll get another one day. Roadster is super rare and elegant without the wing and splitter. Supple suspension, CUP versions not for me.

You'll adore it. 

Justin 

• Like 1

DrRick, the issue is what is best for your wide-ranging uses. I agree Jep's comment in principle - indeed all the models are marvellous, but they do differ!  I stick with my thoughts above.

There is a mass of information on different Evoras on here (see the front page road test links for one thing.) Suggest you explore. I can't comment on the 410 Sport - only had two, limited, road tests and not quite bought. Drives were great, but held back because knew of differences from the GT410 Sport then available. Just from my broad awareness, look at physical/aero, seats, torque curve slightly less mid-range, slightly more top end.  See the "Club" threads on here too.

No thoughts on Auto/IPS.  Not for me.

I had an Exige and now have an Evora. I don't see anything that the Exige can do that the Evora Can't.....For what you want it for that is..... If you were tracking it then yeah sure.

I loved my Exige but it was nowhere as good for longer journeys and Motorway uses. The Evora is just more planted and sorted for that kind of use. And of course it has the turn of speed and handling when you want it.

Out of the 2 Exige's you mention, well, I was always under the impression that "If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing right" so you have to go Balls Out 350 Sport. However, personally, I would go Evora prob a 410.

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Since you have had an Evora and it hasn't made the final two, then it sounds like you don't at all mind the comprise both Elise and Exige would need for motorway driving.

With the touring packs fitted, both those options would be doable; if it were me, I'd probably go with the Elise.

However, as per @jep suggestion above, I think the other option you've got is the Exige Roadster, very pretty, a better appointed cabin for longer distances (heated seats if I recall!) and slightly more subtle suspension....I think that will give you driving feels you need whilst making that commute ever-so-slightly more tolerable

https://editorial.recombu.com/cars/article/lotus-exige-s-roadster-video-review-reveals-it-s-as-savage-as-ever

Watch the video 🙂 

• Like 1

I have a funny feeling that I'll be changing tack to be an Evora driver

Dr Rick

On 18/05/2024 at 09:01, jep said:

Roadster is super rare and elegant without the wing and splitter. Supple suspension

I agree. Love the look for the roadster. Just looks cleaner, purer, more honest.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Fair, but my personal view is that a wing is needed.

Dr Rick

They're called a "spoiler" for a reason. :)

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!