Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Film Appreciation Society - Page 30 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Film Appreciation Society

Paul C

So a couple of quick reviews:

Cinema: Star Wars the last Jedi. By no means poor, just not as good as the first and seem to be in a real hurry to kill off all the old guard. Pretty much knew who would get it this time! Any Star Wars superfan (Like me) will be a little disappointed, but overall a good addition to the Franchise 7.5/10

Video: Dunkirk: For me one of the most disappointing movies of the year. I found the portrayal of the British soldiers it featured poor. The main character I found hugely dislikable, running away at the beginning when his mates all get shot. A coward and happy to be saved by people but then leaving said person to drown after he had been saved by him several times. Couple of my family members were hugely disappointed in the portrayal of the British soldiers, only out to save themselves, not at all what we have been told by no passed family members really happened. The only good thing was the plane scenes to be honest. Even the flotilla coming over to save them was a damp squib with them being shown coming over once when actually many made a large number of trips time and time again. Didn't enjoy it. 3.5/10

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

As a huge fan of Animated movies (4 kids and a grandaughter tend to do that to you) really looking forward to this one!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• 2 weeks later...

So, last week the family went to see 'The shape of water'. Daughter (15 in November and 6ft tall) was considered OK as it was a 15 cert and she's seen and heard most things.

within 5 minutes of the film starting, Sally Hawkins had her kit off and 'pleasures herself' in the bath - repeated 3 times for cinematic effect (passage of time/routine).

Now, it was a very entertaining film but is this really suitable for 15 year olds? I'm sure when I was 15 anything like that would have been X rated...

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Note to self, watch The shape of Water when it comes on freeview

Borg v McEnroe was a surprisingly good watch. Double bonus that at 5:06 into the film, a gorgeous brown Elite makes a very brief appearance driving past Bjorn whilst he tries to find the keys for his 911!. Tried to post a screenshot here but somehow the Amazon sphincter police won't let me :angry:

That's 5 mins and 6 seconds - NOT 5 hours and 6 minutes lol

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Any reviews yet of the following?

• Hostiles?
  • Three Billboards?
  • Detroit?

I'm hopelessley out of date with films, just caught up with some from 2017 and further back;

Passengers (very good love story) and Baby Driver (excellent); both these I considerd good enough for second viewings soon after.

Also watched both Guardians of the Galaxy movies on Kimbers' recommendation; great fun, again multiple viewings and DVDs bought.

Wind River came recommended and was a decent watch, but IMHO the Nicolas cage film "On Frozen Ground" did the same thing better a few years back and was a true story to boot.

In the "don't bother" camp Wonder Woman was a disappointment, as was Kingsmen 2. I agree with JayEmms assertion that Ridley Scott is proving less talented/consistent than his late lamented brother Tony, Alien Covenant was as just as terrible as expected.

PS I don't read or contribute to this thread enough, so just in case they haven't been mentioned I would recommend anyone to see the following;

• Manchester by the Sea
  • Hell or High Water
  • Silence
  • Calvary (2014)

I also liked Trainspotting 2 which some people find a bit marmite!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• 2 weeks later...

New Steven Speilberg Movie looks awesome! Must see this!

• 4 weeks later...

Saw Jumanji on DVD last night. Its not the same story and totally different but i have to say I really really enjoyed it. The Rock was awesome taking the piss out of himself repeatedly, Jack Black (who I hate as an actor) played a teenage girl in a middle aged fat blokes body brilliantly and overall it was a very funny action movie. Definately the surprise of the year so far. 9/10

• Gold FFM

Last Man on the Moon. 

Excellant work of fiction. Recommend to @Buddsy

😊👍

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

😂 lol. Can we have a mod for the mods please? 

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• 4 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Ok, not a film, but a series and away from the intent of this topic.

Another Netflix series. Black Mirror.

Some of it left me thinking, "I am not sure if I understand the ending to that?"

Other episodes left me thinking, "We are so close to that, it is scary."

PS. I have not been to the movies in ages. My last jaunt there was to see Fury Road. I'll admit to thinking it was quite boring to tell you the truth.

Have not been able to go with Liz as we just have not been able to find something we are both interested in going to see.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Looking forward to the Equalizer 2,   Denzel Washington is a great actor and the first film was fast paced with a good story line,   His charector is a mix between Jason Bourne and John Wick,  Sadly not out in Japan until 5th of October :cry:

A

I've recently been watching The Disaster Artist several times. Brilliant. It's currently showing on Sky. It's a film about the making of the worst movie ever made called The Room. It went on to become a real cult favourite.

Tip: watch the film right to the end of the credits.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_disaster_artist/

On 16/09/2018 at 03:52, silverfrost said:

Looking forward to the Equalizer 2,   Denzel Washington is a great actor and the first film was fast paced with a good story line,   His character is a mix between Jason Bourne and John Wick,  Sadly not out in Japan until 5th of October :cry:

Me and my son have seen this one. Interestingly i think it is the first sequel of a film Denzel has ever done, but happy to be corrected.  Great film again, as good as the first, and worth the watch. Enjoy!

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

OK, got a few to run through, all on video.

"Ready Player One", absolute gem of a pic. Bloody loved it, all its references and the story line. Absolute Geek Fest 9.5/10 

"Deadpool 2". Like Deadpool only better. Absolutely hilarious and a total gore fest. Awesomeness personified 9.5/10

"Blended". Once again Adam Sandler and that total babe Drew Barrymore get together to fall in love. Now some people don't like Adam Sandler but I loved this movie and my wife (Who doesn't particularly like him as an actor) said it was one of her all time favourite movies. It really is a laugh a minute and its been a while since i have laughed quite so much. I really want to give it a 10, but I will drop it a little because I struggle to believe that Drew Barrymore could love anyone but me! 9/10

"12 Strong". Never heard of it till I saw it advertised on Sky. True Story of a group of US Special forces who fight the Taliban in Afghanistan as "Horse Soldiers". Starring Chris Helmsley. Again, I loved this movie. Why did I know nothing about this? 9/10

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

First Man

Have been really looking forward to this. Glad I’ve seen it, but, wasn’t quite what I was expecting I have to say. 

On 14/10/2018 at 18:11, mayesprit said:

First Man

Have been really looking forward to this. Glad I’ve seen it, but, wasn’t quite what I was expecting I have to say. 

You can't just leave us hanging like that!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream