Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Film Appreciation Society - Page 21 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Film Appreciation Society

Paul C

Middle Men,

Enjoyed it

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 2 weeks later...

Agree completely with Trevor's review/thoughts on "Rush." Great flic. Sprung for the "D Box" (motion seats) option for wifey and moi. Only way to go, if available. Gimmick or not, really adds to the experience. :thumbsup:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched "The Heat" on the plane to England last week.  A simple plot of a mismatched pair of police officers having to work together so nothing new there but I enjoyed the performances.

Watched "District 9" on the way back yesterday.  I'd heard it was a good film so had high expectations and I certainly wasn't disappointed.  I thought it was brilliant.  Highly recommended.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

If you've even a remote interest in mountaineering (vicarious in my case), "The Summit" will blow you away. Extremely well done dramatic feature length documentary about the ill fated August 1 2008 K2 climbing disaster. 18 climbers reached the summit that day. 7 made it down alive.

452721888_640.jpg

http://vimeo.com/74290535

• Gold FFM

Watched The Lone Ranger the other night with Johnny Depp in it. Not a brilliant movie, but had some fun parts. Depp channelling Jack Sparrow into Tonto the Comanche.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thor 2.

Great if you liked Thor 1 and The Avengers.

Thor 1 is slightly better though overall, Thor 2 has a few issues but some really great moments and genuinely laugh out loud funny at times. My issue is the 'big bad' it's the usual problem for Superhero movies but Iron Man 3 for example handled it with a really smart twist which was refreshing for the genre. Thor 2's problem is that the 'threat' is bigger than the one in Avengers. In that film the world was under threat, in Thor 2 it's the whole universe yet somehow Thor manages to deal with it on his own. Makes you wonder what kind of threat they'll need for Avengers 2! Anyway don't let logic get in the way of good entertainment, there's certainly plenty of that on offer. 

Best 3D movie (OK maybe after Avatar) or should I say best use of 3D in a movie is last year's Dredd. Good in 2D. Great in 3D. Check it out. Tron legacy deserves a mention - the real world is 2D, the computer world is 3D which is a cool idea even if the plot is pants. Gravity is said to be another that uses 3D really well. Quite a rare thing, with most 3D films you forget it's 3D after a while because they don't do anything with it.

Gravity in 3D is a sight to behold - hands down the best 3D film I've ever seen. As a feature film however it's poorly paced and makes quite a few missteps. I'd say its more accurately described as a "short film" despite the running time of 90 mins.

Having said that, it's definitely something that can't quite be experienced at home (no not even with a 3D Tv...), so I recommend everyone to catch it in theatres while it's out there. 

Jonny - I have an unopened Dredd 3D on my shelf. Only seen the 2D version and loved it. Gritty! Awesome film. Can imagine the slow-mo scenes are awesome in 3D. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

After Earth. Started reeeeeaaalllly slowly and Jaden Smith is annoying, hamming up being scared a little too much. But an enjoyable film, well made and a reasonable plot. Worth a look on DVD. 6/10.

World War Z, despite scaring the bejesus out of me in one scene it's been edited too much in trying to form a story from the book, which is essentially a series of diary entries from lots of different people. It's disjointed in places and the story suffers for it. However. That said if you like Zombies you'll like the fresh outlook on them that comes from the book. Overall 7/10 if you like Zombies 4/10 if you aren't.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

So, how many of you macho he-man types took your wife out (her request) to see the 3D IMAX remake of The Wizard of Oz?

The yellow brick road never looked so good. :)

OH..................MY.....................GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VdGI5-z_hg

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Hmm, I would suggest a few old movies like for example:

- 7 samurais.

- Cat people.

- Meetings with remarkable men.

Speaking of new movies, and of course as this is Lotus forum - driving: Rush. I've not seen it yet, so how is it from a movie point? And how from a driving point?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Edited by Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Hi,Jacques. Ron Howard does not make "bad" movies. He does his homework and is "personally invested" in whatever he is directing. Attention to detail is one of his hallmark traits. For anyone with an interest in F1 and its standout historical moments, Rush is a "must see" movie. For that matter, it falls into that category even for people with no previous interest in the sport. It will keep your attention...that I will guarantee. Catch it before it leaves the big screen.

This is the end, on DVD. James Franco, Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen etc etc all playing versions of themselves (as we see them or as we seem to think they are like) during the Armageddon. It is gruesome in places, hilarious in others and quite unexpected. Very enjoyable. 8/10

p.s watch out for the huge number of cameo's including Emma Watson, most of whom die in gruesome ways!

• 1 month later...

Location shooting is hellish expensive and requires massive coordination for big shoots from everything to having enough electricity supply delivered safely, to sufficient toilet facilities, catering, hire of all the lights cameras and sound gear. Risk assessments all have to be in place before shooting, permissions sought for all sorts of things. Location shooting is a big job even for small productions.

Or get a few computer wizards to draw it all for you and add it in post-production work.

I have been shooting tv work with Green Key and Chroma Key (Invisibility cloak stuff from harry potter - amazing material!) in the TV studio at Uni.  All the major studios have massive Key sets these days to film the live actions so that the CGI bods can add their wizardry later.

How much and what you add is down to good cinematography, direction and storyboarding (Screenplay).

Edited by Alex--GT3--

Hobbit 2. Not true to Tolkien, but, by god it's a riot! Great escape movie and the CGI of the dragon is astounding and believable. 9.5\ 10

• 2 weeks later...

'American Hustle', great cast, Christian Bale is amazing, very entertaining script, keeps you guessing... best movie I've seen in a long while. 

'Wolf of Wall Street', very good movie, DiCaprio is also really excellent. It's a little long though, 2hrs 50min I think... could've trimmed a few scenes and got me in the bar before closing. 

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

• 1 month later...

"This summer........"    will be the first summer for a long time without veteran voiceover artist Hal Douglas, who died this month;

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/13/hal-douglas-movie-trailer-voiceover-dies

"In a world......."   of gravelly, deep chested voiceover dudes he was the gravelly-est. Of the "big three" it looks like only Don Morrow is left. I had no idea just how old these guys were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Morrow#Early_career

Cliched maybe but I defy you to watch a trailer for an old Bruckheimer vehicle like The Rock or Con Air without feeling nostalgic for simple entertainment

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• 4 weeks later...

Caught The Grand Budapest Hotel this afternoon. Still trying to process what I saw, as it moves along fairly fast. And the list of characters is vast and complex, with more "cameos" by "A list" actors than you can shake a stick at. Director Wes Anderson's attention to visual detail is astounding. Read that it was the #1 movie in the UK in its third week.

• 3 months later...