Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Castle Combe - Page 4 - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Castle Combe

esprit22

Well I had a great time. Cant believe it not only stayed dry all day, but was mostly sunny too. So why is it I was one of only a handfull of Esprits on track? As paul says, not so much pressure to get out there this year. I paid for two sessions, but got 4 in easily and could have had more. Its just such a grin, even if you're a bit of a muppet driver like me.

There's nothing quite like knowing all you guys/gals tho. My heart sank as I looked in the mirror at Camp to see if I was about to be passed by a proper driver and found I couldn't see anything except "smoke" pouring out of my car! Eased right off up the start/finish straight but decided to pull off before Quarry in case I was messing up the track. Anyway, it was obvious as soon as we got out of the car that it was steam - probably just a split pipe - much to the disappointment of the Quarry crowd who clearly wanted flames and carnage. So I agreed with Thunderbirds rescue that I'd drive it off the circuit the short way, cos I didnt want him to break anything trying to get a tow rope on it. Anyway, no sooner do I get back in my parking slot than a dozen LEF/LEC/SLOC people pile in to help sort it out. Even Bibs pointed at the right bit more or less without prompting! The top return water pipe had disconnected from the main banana pipe at the bulkhead - it seems the jubilee clip used was too large, so although fully tightened, it was't gripping enough to carry the heat generated by pulling 7000 down the back straight to save two changes using 5th! So many many thanks to Mark for Spanner/Screwdriver, Dave Eds for the water carrier, and Dave M for a proper sized Jubilee (and showing me how to go 5 secs a lap quicker than me in an old S2 Baby Elan with only 130ish BHP). I took Dave Eds out for a session to check all was OK when used in anger and so it was. Got us home with no drama too. And with all the support I was getting from everyone else there it wasn't going to be any other way. So thank you all very much indeed.

Mike

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, sorry, we have had such a great day. It was lovely to see everyone and I got to have one of my special Big Si hugs!! :D

I'm really looking forward to the next bash (Goodwood Breakfast Club, Super Car Sunday next weekend in case you were wondering).

Hope you had a great birthday Bibs! X

LouX

post-1-039744300201278592955.jpg

• Gold FFM

Great day. Good to see all you chaps and chapesses again. Yes, agree Paul - pretty darn nice Fry Up on arrival! Enjoyed a nice relaxing chilled out day with good weather.

Done the usuial - got home with plenty of 'wind burn' after wearing sunglasses most of the day, now resembling a Giant Panda. B)

Got some Vid but didn't take a single pic this year - sorry.

Purchased a very nice A3 size photo of my car taken on the parade lap which will be adorning a wall in the not to distant.

Bring on the next event. - Oh its only next weekend. Happy Days! :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM
:)

Where were the pics for sale? Is there a web address on your receipt, I want I want :)

Got to say mate, There was an awesome pic of your Esprit (close up) being followed by 3 others in the same shot. Didn't see you to mention it to after a bought mine.

Mines still in the car - I'll take a pic of the pic and post the Photograhers name and address - I would say BUY IT big size, it really was a nice shot. (cant be too many Esprits with Gold alloys hitting the circuit today) :) so he shouldn't have any locating probs.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

It was good to see all those that made it to Castle Combe today.

Here is a pic of Bibs fixing Mike's car. Not sure what Mark P did to help :)

CastleCombe2008026small.jpg

Rob C's car was on display. Great packaging of the charge coolers:

CastleCombe2008003.jpg

CastleCombe2008006.jpg

Thanks to Cliff for the lift on the parade lap.

Regards,

Peter.

What an awesome day.

PAx ride in an Elan with Nige, parade lap in my Elan, and then to top it all a PAX ride with Mike.

Confession here guys, until today I never even sat in an Esprit.

Now I want one more than ever.

Dave.

Love the 3 abreast shot Bibs with You in the inner lane, Cliff in the middle and Moi in the outside. Brilliant.

I likewise had a superb day, and a lovely evening the night before with Bibs and Laura (Thanks again for your hospitality). I think I know why Bibs tends to drink Beer as he speed drank a whole bottle of wine in about half an hour(of course I had to keep up)!!! And was firmly repremanded by Laura for being drunk, as we both talked bollocks and repeated the same conversation several times!

Short on photo's this year, but Like Bibs mine concentrated on one of the best hoons EVER! 8 cars (7 after Graham got bored with playing and drove ahead :) )a busy motor way and people were scattering to get out of our way as we made the M4 our own! Truely superb and great fun. Nice to see Sparky, Andy (Ajj) and Gavman all joining us for their first hoon (I think thats right Sparky??) and Andys Son was a star who shook everyones hands when we met (he's very young) and waving furiously from start to finish of the hoon!!

Castle Coombe was great again and it was fantastic to see everyone again. Lots of Kiddies with dads this year. Nice to see Ians Daughter enjoying herself (and calling her dad a Badger due to the creeping in of a few grey hairs LOL)

My piccies:

The meeting on the M4

IMGP3740.jpg

My car next to Bib's (the 2 cars seem to have fallen for each other despite being opposites in character, his all noisey and in your face, mine gentle and quiet but with panther like quickness)....oh hang on mines the other side

IMGP3741.jpg

HOON!

IMGP3742.jpg

IMGP3743.jpg

Here you can see the top of Andys son's head. Just missed him waving furiously.

IMGP3744.jpg

IMGP3745.jpg

IMGP3748.jpg

IMGP3747.jpg

IMGP3746.jpg

The 2 cars together again!

IMGP3749.jpg

Some others...

IMGP3750.jpg

IMGP3752.jpg

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM
Nice one, sounds ace :)

Picture067.jpg

JIM GAISFORD PHOTOGRAPHER

Foxcroft

Bath Road

Colerne SN14 8EH

Tel 01225743400 Mob 07778389257

email john.gaisford@btinternet.com

Wonder if he's got a website where he can display thumbnails - prob had 2-3 pic of every car that entered the track.

Bought one from him last year in A3 as well, when I had the N/A.

• Gold FFM

Is Espritism a religion? If so, I'm ready to chuck it all in (except the car) and join the priesthood. That hoon was AWESOME! And yes, Kimbers, it was my first.

Fantastic day. Met so many great people and saw more Esprits than I've seen probably in my lifetime. Hooned back with Gav and Claire (correct spelling?) and an unidentified green Elan as far as the M25, just a tad more sedately than the outbound. Oh, and a special hi to Austin! Great kid you have there, Andy.

Pics to follow. Bibs - sorry mate - HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Excellent day and yes I agree the best hoon I've had for many years. Enjoyed going down the M4 and seeing the 'normal' cars scatter in front of a swarm of Esprits.

Great fun and for a change, great weather.

Thanks chaps for a really great day out.

Bazza

Hi guys, good day all in but could have been better. weather was a revelation, BBC website said light showers, well, how wrong!!!

Got noise tested, down from 103.5db to 97 with my little gadget hanging off the back. I never expected 6.5 db, in fact I quoted the chap a reduction of 3db on the spec so he did a good job. I got it from ACT performance parts, Tim Lamont is the guy to speak to, very helpful. Cost was about

You need to quote the OUTSIDE diameter of the tailpipe as it is a snug fit with the clamp.

I take it your exhaust doesn't have a tailpipe trim or did you cut it off?

How heavy is the muffler? Did you secure it to anything else or just the tailpipe? On the V8 at least the outlet pipes are notoriously weak and often fracture at the join to the exhaust. Don't fancy having and extra 5-10kg swinging about on the end of each...

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Morning all.

We had a great day and nice to meet up for a good hoon on the way down. Austin loved it - especially waving at everyone on the way down and the parade lap ( fastest parade lap i've ever seen - 2nd car behind Bibs and that exhaust!) although he was a bit disapointed we didnt win!!. Forgot to bring my camera so no pics, but would love to see the pictures from the parade lap.

See all again soon - next stop Le Mans

Andy

i had a great day out yesterday, and really enjoyed it, its one year on from when i was last there and this time people talked to me for more than 30 secs ata time :)

i would really like to thank everyone for making alex feel welcome yesterday, even though he was not able to talk to anyone i know after speaking with him later on that he really had a good day there and got lots of photots and film taken of the day for his collection.

i broke one of my goldnen rules and took the car out for the parade lap, yep i took it on a track.. naughty me!! however with katies bloke as passenger a good time was had, and whats more surprising was the fact the car was out cornering the elises as we went around, so much so that i had to slow down to let them re pass me out of the corners as i had overtaken them on the inside!!, gotta thank mr angus for this suspension! the car never missed a beat around the track and was very good.

the trip home was ok and short.. ahem..

it was good to see you all again and look forward to supercar sunday.

once again many thanks for yesterday and for alex as well.

simon

• Gold FFM

Couple of things that bum me out here.

1) I will never see that many esprits together in one place over here in Oz.

2) Dial up won't even load all the pics down. Ggrrr.

3) I am envious as hell.

Great pics and glad to hear everyone had a good day. *mumbling under breath - 'mongrels'*

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Pics - including some from parade laps - here

Went a bit mad on photies, so thought I wouldn't clutter the board too much. I can't be certain, but I think there's a couple of Bibs with his brakes applied. Or maybe it's just sunlight reflecting off his lenses.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Those pics are ace, can you email me the ones of me on the track, I likey :)

Brakes were needed as that Sport350 couldn't really keep the pace and I didn't want to overtake, you know how it is! :) :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

weighs about 2.5kg, so not too heavy, I tied it on with cable ties (a botch really but seemed quite secure in a heath-robinson type way) to the valance so if it slipped off it wouldn't bounce down the track.

My exhaust is tipped with a welded on rounded thing to finish it, its pretty tough and didnt think it would break. you never know though, i was more worried about the silencer vibrating itself off even though it was clamped really tightly.

seemed ok.