Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fuel Prices - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel Prices

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... score one for the working guy! A club member here was fuling up, actually just topping off for a drive, when he noticed something did not seem quite right... So, he stopped right on $10.00... at $3.75 8/10 per gallon... This should work out to $37.58 for the record. BUT... he was over $39.00! Figure an extra couple dollars per person and the add up over a week is a hefty amount. The station makes out like a bandit...

So, he simply left and then called the state office that governs the calibrating of the pumps to report an issue. Turns out that there were "several" stations that were "clocking the meter" in order to boost proffit at the station level! As if we are not getting slammed already, the local guys are tripping the meter so that they do not feel the pump price pinch like the rest of us. The fine when a station is caught is between $300.00 and $500.00 depending on the area and county! not much of a deterent is it?

Anyway, If fueling up, stop your pump at 10 as the math is really easy at 10, and check your price against the amount... if it is off, move on to the next station stop!

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

• Gold FFM
Filled my Lorry up today at South Mymms with 400 litres at

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Our local Waitrose have put prices up written on an A4 sheet of paper, because they are changing so often.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

In the days when I used to run a petrol filling station our electrically operated roller board used to seize up between price changes. I started getting into the habit of forcing it to change every couple of weeks just to try and keep things from failing.

I guess now the motors would be failing due to over use.

Since our fuel prices go up and down like the stock market all our stations use large electronic reader boards so the prices can change with a push of a button. Sometimes they change even when we are filling up.

Anyone else just seen on BBC News site that they are now predicting Oil prices to go up to $200 per barrel?!?!

F*&())king unbelievable considering its now 'only' $135!

Where will it end? Typical just when I bought ourselves our first Diesel -

A "Financial Expert" on Radio 5 live yesterday said that if it gets much higher the Government will have "No other recourse" but to drop duty on the fuel or risk putting our economy into meltdown and financial ruin. With our costs here over twice that of USA and substantially more than any other country in the world the price of fuel is directly responsible for much of the UK's price increases on all goods and services and for our ever increasing inflation.

Can anyone see Brown dropping fuel duty? I think he'd rather let us all go bankrupt and blame the "World economy" than admit his fuel increases are directly responsible for all of our reductions in living standards.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

You forgot to Add VAT into your 50% mate. It's realistically more like 65%

• Gold FFM

It's interesting to see you guys complaining about the same things as us. Fuel prices are a joke.

I don't know if this story ever aired over there on the tv but over here in a news report, a petrol company was quoted as saying that with the move to a lot more diesel cars, they were putting the price up due to demand. No other reason. I think our tax system is set up as a set excise per litre, so even if the price bounces around, the govt does not see any more revenue. So it's all going straight into the fuel company profit.

My father worked in an oil refinery and could never understand why diesel was EVER as much as it was. First thing out of the fractionating columns from heated crude is diesel. It is basically a by product of making petrol. Or as was previously said, a waste product until they had an engine that would burn it.

A lot of people over here in Oz have complained about price collusion between the fuel companies, which after 'investigation' by our company watchdog body (hhmm they work for the government I think), we were told there is none. In fact, the govt body laid the blame on the supermarket discount chains as pushing the price up , then offering the loyalty discount, and other companies were bumping their prices up as well.

The fuel companies tell us the massive fluctuations in price are due to the barrell price and have nothing to do with public holiday weekends, school holidays or the like. What I do find interesting is that your prices in the UK, while higher, have about the same ratio for diesel over petrol. Now here's the conspiracy theory, the collusion on pricing is a lot bigger than in each country - it's massively international.

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yep, it's true that they do affect it, but we all know that the largest part of our oil pricing in the UK is tax. Pure and simple. The most recent rises in tax were due to the Govts Green policy of "all cars are evil and we are solely responsible for saving the planet. Interesting quote I posted elsewhere from the great H L Mencken (not at all PC Journo)

"The desire to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it"

My local Garage was 121.9 for Diesel last week (my local garage is a supermarket). This week it's at 124.9. Where the heck did that come from?

Yes Graham, very interesting, but all indications we have in the LPG industry is that prices will continue to rise through to quarter 4 and beyond. I think it would now take a huge downturn in demand for the bubble to burst.

I think it a a very sobering thought, that if you take the VAT and duty away from a litre of unleaded then it would be only 39ppl, would we be quite so concerned about the price then I wonder.

The problem is the not only Mr browns tax but the gready retailers who bump up the price when they are told crude has gone up. They have hiked the price on fuel which was sold to them at the price of crude a few days/weeks ago.

Dont forget that the story of shortage caused by strikes at a refinery pushed up the price (even though there is a legal requirement for there to be a ten week supply for the country under EU law)......

LOL still Blaming poor Gordy ? 1st he gets a beating in Crewe and now on the Lotus forum - poor chap :D

Anyone interested in the facts and figures for MAY :

http://www.theaa.com/onlinenews/allaboutca...008/may2008.pdf

If you go back and look at past months you'll see (unconveniantly) the % tax has effectivly dropped from 64% to ~ 60% and also below inflation.

Although when you do the crunching the VAT % (as duty is a fixed value not a %) boosts the Govnts income by ~ 1.1p per litre

You can also see globaly prices have risen by ~ 20p over the past 5 months - indeed the fuel rise in unleaded for USA and UK are identical within a penny or 2.

So not only has Gordy got us by the balls, he's also friggin you Yanks over too !!

Good read too :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7414093.stm

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• Gold FFM

Found myself thinking an entirely different way today.

Took the Esprit to work. Had enough in the tanks for the journey, but thought - for the first time in my life - that I'd put some gas in on the way in case it went up by the time I got home.

It did. So that's a few pence the fascist junta won't get out of me! Although I'm sure they'll find another way...

Edited by sparky

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

You can also see globaly prices have risen by ~ 20p over the past 5 months - indeed the fuel rise in unleaded for USA and UK are identical within a penny or 2.

So not only has Gordy got us by the balls, he's also friggin you Yanks over too !!

Good read too :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7414093.stm

This is a holiday weekend and considered the begining of the summer driving season for the USA.

Prices are at record levels but expected to drop after the high demand 3 day weekend.

Many are altering or reducing travel plans as the price nears $4/gal.

Edited by CNH