Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Free V8 OBDII Scan Tool - Page 4 - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Free V8 OBDII Scan Tool

peter_england99

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Aaron. :welcome:

Don't go postal on it all yet. Someone will come along that will be able to assist you to get it all working. There are a lot of cluey people on here.

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A few other points of data:

I just went back and installed the software that came with the 327 device and tried that on my domestic truck.  I've been screwing with it all day - I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.  Here's the result:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eJDuagfCdQbokmFp1

Notice the refresh rate that I point to.

Now back at the trunk of the Esprit with the same software:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z44K0jbOPpE0a6bz1

Notice the refresh rate here and how things drop out and return.  It seems to have some of the same difficulties that Peter's software has in making and maintaining a connection with my Esprit.

Now back at the Chevy with Peter's software in "non-esprit" mode:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NYtTklg8liUOtded2

Strangely my Innova scantool always seems to connect to the Esprit just fine via Iso9141 though it obviously lacks the tools Peter's software has, hence why I'm pulling my hair out to try and make this work.

Uggh.

-AH

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I tried using the WIFI OBD reader-no joy.

So i tried my VAG com cable, got the right port (device manager knew it was connected) but (unlike the chap above )the scanner did not even find the cable.

I'm happy to buy another cable if that is the problem, but fear I may be doing something wrong!

any suggestions welcomed-as would be a recommendation for a cable on amazon or ebay that is known to work-then I woudl buy that and any connection problem would be down to my idiocy and/or config settings!

many thanks-trying to track down an ABS problem and don't want to remove wheels, clear sensors, and create additional problems....

Also, I am using the OBD port by the battery, as I can't find the OBD port in the car. can someone please let me know where it is? I've seen reference to it being in the passenger footwell-but is that  a UK or a US/LHD car? and if it is in the footwell-where is it! I'm lying on the floor upside down with a torch and no space, so exact location would be VERY much appreciated! 

@LotuStuart, there are several threads and posts here on this (I will find them when I have a minute) but a couple of things to note:

- Don't buy the cheapo ELM327 Bluetooth readers, they have a stupid "standard" interface configuration and you can't connect to them. Spend a bit more to be certain.
- Don't use the OBD port in the boot, it has three extra non-standard connections that can confuse the hell out of the reader. You should use the one under the glovebox (slightly to the RHS).

image.png.e969a5c19542cb032d027c17824f283f.png

image.png.be34c91ed34c3eb65c3ad93125f59514.png

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Thanks Alan 

i just ordered a cable version and will try again when it arrives. I use a WIFI one with my iPhone and some handy apps and that's fine for that  

But for the life of me I can't find the glovebox OBD port!! Literally lying upside down staring up into the area described with a torch and it isnt there!

mine is a 2001/2 model year if that makes a difference  

Is there a diagram or a photo of the location? I'm hugely confused. 

Lets say I'm sitting in the U.K. passenger seat and put my hand dead centre between the centre tunnel and the left hand side of the car and move it forwards holding the bottom of the glovebox area until I find empty space-where do I move my hand to find it. Please anyone?

Comment on the cheapo Chinese "ELM v1.2" readers - I bought one of these first for about a fiver and it never worked.

I will take a pic of my reader and the glovebox port location if you can't find it. Oh, and my OBD/laptop cable.

Incidentally if you do get a good ELM reader and have an Android phone then the brilliant Torque app (on Google Play) is available to you as well.

• Like 1

Photo of the underside of my dash:

DSC_0087.thumb.JPG.598376c0205dcdd9c5ad7b75b3d07440.JPG

It is next to the footwell light. This is a '96 so it might be elsewhere on the newer '98 dash? @Barrykearley can you remember? It might even be in the glovebox...

My USB OBD reader and Vgate plug in:

DSC_0088.thumb.JPG.4b6073d7abbbb37b5779f27a9b9694c9.JPG

Note that the ELM version is 1.5...

Nope, there's one in the boot as well Barry. I remember a freezing cold night in your garage trying glovebox and dash connectors with my USB cable and Bluetooth readers and coming to the conclusion that your V8 ECM was well and truly buggered...

Alan-that's the type of ELM cable I've ordered so fingers crossed there!

also glad to say I'm not mad-it certainly is not next to the courtesy light in my UK 2001/2 model year passenger footwell. 

The manual page you've posted is fOr a LHD car. I'll have a better look on that side when I get the lead. 

Thanks!

Yep, LHD is on the right under the glovebox, RHD is on the left. I'm racking my brains trying to remember where Barry's front OBD was for '98 on. I am pretty sure it was in a similar position. Let's try to get some help from some later dash owners:

@zander999

@march

@esprit17

Can you help @LotuStuart please chaps?

"Also, I am using the OBD port by the battery, as I can't find the OBD port in the car. can someone please let me know where it is? I've seen reference to it being in the passenger footwell-but is that  a UK or a US/LHD car? and if it is in the footwell-where is it! I'm lying on the floor upside down with a torch and no space, so exact location would be VERY much appreciated!"

Thanks @march Marc. Gendan presumably understands or ignores the extra outputs on the rear one then, which is cool. You couldn't possibly take a pic of the connector under the dash for Stuart could you please? It might just save his sanity...

RIght. Got the cable. Similar to Alan's but doesn't mention v1.5a

seems to work ok though, and I've taken various readings to confirm. 

The ones I have as really after are shown in the V8 data section in the Wheel Count area. I was hoping it would populate after driving with 3 readings high and one low. Which would tell me the sensor on that wheel isnt picking up all the rotations-or is totally Fubar. 

Sadly I can't get to see any readings. Perhaps it's a "live" section only which shows count as it happens then goes to zero when stopped. That's fine if you have an odb port inside the car....but I haven't. 

Any other v8 owners able to shed light on this wheel count section please?

otherwise I'll have to link several USB cables together and see if I can have the laptop in the car while plugged in at the battery OBD....

IMG_3126.JPG

Oh dear Stuart. You are back to your previous problem of not being able to find the DLC (OBD) connector under the dash I think my friend. The boot connector does not present any ABS data:

image.png.ab6e5bb667c9bf4387d0a6590d62815f.png

image.png.dcde3261cf73fb71d26257080983e4a4.png

Sob sob sob. 

But I don't HAVE an inside OBD!

Has anyone with a 2001/2 MY found an inside OBD ??

alan-does your v8scan populate the wheel count boxes? When? After a run, during a run?

on the upside, a front wheel will fit in the rear boot if you get a puncture and have to fit the space saver. I'll try fitting a rear one in on due course. 

I might try getting the sunroof in as well. 

(Separately of course!)

Edited by LotuStuart

I'm about to take it out for a spin with v8scan attached. Will report back re wheel count. 

In the meantime, Alan-can you please let me know the colours of the wires for the front OBD port? Maybe mine had one which has been cut off. If I can find the wires bundled up somewhere I'll fit one back to it. Thanks!

Hello Stuart. As I said previously, I don't think you will get the ABS wheel data from the rear OBD connector but good luck!

Front and rear wires:

image.png.d2516b0e1a42a7f62e3b4e9ad676bce9.png

image.png.e992907d5782d66830e7c78f15dd0fd9.png

The rear OBD has three extra "manufacturer discretion" wires by the way, I still haven't figured out what they are for. I will know when I have finally completed the circuit diagram for the ECM though!

PS just noticed the rear OBD drawing is missing pins 6 and 14...draughtsman fail!

Cheers Alan!

i took the front vent, front speaker and vent pipes out today and found the front OBD cable tied up behind the speaker!!

bastard!!

anyway. Much swearing later and I had it at foot level. Connected v8scan and still no WheelCount data. Has anyone seen those fields populated? How did you manage that?

fixed the bonnet catch mechanism while that kit was out of the way too. 

Edited by LotuStuart

• 1 month later...

anyone able to email me the windows drivers as the website is not allowing them to be downloaded.

lotus@frog.co.uk

Thx