Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Essex Esprit - Page 16 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Essex Esprit

nello

3 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Interesting that the gearknob is a different shape. I quite like it - looks like it is the one used in JPS S2 

Could be the same Esprit interior which is in one of my Jeremy Walton books. It doesn't look out of place either.

IMG_4448.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I do have a number of pics of 10897, the RHD white Essex car which went to France. These have been shot in 1999 when the car still had its UK reg NHN 759W.  Note it has no Essex Number sticker, as it was a pre-prod Car.

P1010001b.JPG

P1010002b.JPG

P1010007b.JPG

P1010008b.JPG

P1010044a.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpgp79 said:

Hello all,

I do have a number of pics of 10897, the RHD white Essex car which went to France. These have been shot in 1999 when the car still had its UK reg NHN 759W.  Note it has no Essex Number sticker, as it was a pre-prod Car.

P1010001b.JPG

P1010002b.JPG

P1010007b.JPG

P1010008b.JPG

P1010044a.JPG

Interesting to see an Essex spec Turbo with half leather seats (that look like the American sized version - smaller bolsters) also an original early......very early gearknob (as pic in previous post) style but with later rear bumper that has Lotus embossed into it. It's also got later style door mirrors.......so I think it's safe to say, it's not as it left the factory.

But are you sure it's 10897 and pre-production as it would be on a V suffix surely if that was the case.....and 10897 is supposed to be Copper Fire according the list on this link -

Pre production Essex are not Essex cars ,  They are  dry sump turbo Esprits,  as Hethal will not acknowledge them as such, hench no essex number :no

• Like 1

A

Registration number: NHN 759W

Tax due: 01 November 1995

MOT -  No details held by DVLA

Vehicle details

• Vehicle make LOTUS
  • Date of first registration May 1981
  • Year of manufacture 1981
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 2174 cc
  • CO₂Emissions Not available
  • Fuel type PETROL
  • Export marker No
  • Vehicle status Not taxed
  • Vehicle colour WHITE
  • Vehicle type approval Not available
  • Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight Not available

I tried finding the chassis number for this car while investigating with the dry sump register without luck, 

NHN759W

Engine number CD#####1018801

12 owners 

SCC###A7###10897 does not seem to fit and I did try HPI of that chassis number without match but may have the early digits wrong? The original Reg number for that car was HHV491W registered 07/80 but could have been re-registered again later being a development/pre production car like the Active car did?

Still nice photos and very smart looking car, I suspect the seats have been retrimmed with a suede looking centre?

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

The seats look to be a US half leather version. Apart from the extra width of the centre section the trim/material looks identical to my red 1/2 leather seats. 

Nice that it still exists.

God would i love to get a time machine to go back and have a look round the factory when that photograph was taken, you can also see the elites, s2 esprits in the picture also :) 

A

Yes an amazing time to be in and around Lotus. I think my enthusiasm for the marque really stemmed from this period late 70s/early80s.

Had I been growing up 20 years later would I have known or even cared about Lotus?

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Hard one to call Mark, from my own personal point i would probably said not for me, as it was the esprit that drew me into the lotus brand, its only recently i have started to love the Elite design, but i think that has happened to a lot of folk on here recently imo.  like a fine wine they get better with age :)

• Like 1

A

Like Dave says I had 10897 down with its original number of HHV 491W (or at least a white 'Essex!' I saw that car in the mid-90's at a day out at The Shuttleworth Collection. I'm sure I have a photo of it somewhere - must dig-out.......   

Alireza posted this image (I'm sure its the same car) in the US Esprits thread on here a good few years ago (Hope its OK to share Alireza!?!)

IMG_0379.JPG

Edited by nello
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nello said:

Like Dave says I had 10897 down with its original number of HHV 491W (or at least a white 'Essex!' I saw that car in the mid-90's at a day out at The Shuttleworth Collection. I'm sure I have a photo of it somewhere - must dig-out.......  

The landlord of our local pub had a white dry sump "Essex spec" in about 1987. Wish I had taken a picture now to see what the Reg plate was. Pretty sure it was a W.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Hope you find this information usefull, I have copied and pasted part of my COP and according to Andy Graham there were only 4 Essex Spec Monaco white cars built with full red leather a/c roof stereo, these were production cars and did not have the Essex cam covers.

The first production Turbo Esprit was serial number 0899 in August 1980, originally available as

an Essex commemorative model or as a standard colour with air conditioning, leather trim and

roof mounted radio as standard. Between May and October 1980 the roof mounted radio became

an option costing £482 and around March 1981 full leather, air conditioning and any audio

equipment were also cost options. The 1981 model year Turbo Esprit for the domestic market ran

from January 1981 serial number 0966 to December 1981 serial number 1185, but the serial

number sequence was shared with the S3 and RHD export models. The following is based on

data available to date and unit number sequence for the UK 1981 model year Turbo Esprit only;

Your car was the 8th out of 74 cars,

Your car was the 3rd out of 18 cars in Monaco White,

Your car was the 2nd out of 6 cars in Monaco White with full red leather,

Your car was the 2nd out of 3 cars in Monaco White with full red leather and the same options.

For the 1980 model year there was 16 other standard Turbo Esprit built before your car, 7 of

them were Monaco White, but only 1 of these had full red leather and was the same specification

as your car (most of the 1980 cars in white had brown leather).

I hope you find this information of interest and you enjoy your Esprit ownership.

Regards,

Andy Graham

Lotus Archives

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gotti, do you dont want a black orginal steering wheel? i still have one in stock,

car looks as new!!! i really love this car, but i love every essex! great looking!

i wait for my gearbox and then my dry sump goes in back again also, so i could drive it soon,