Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyres - Page 12 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres

After 6k miles my Pirelli rears are slicks but my fronts like new. Has anyone tried the ZZ5's on the back with Pirelli's on the front?

In the heat at LeMans the rears wore extra quickly, they. Got quite sticky, picking up grit like a slick.

If you look a couple of pages back on this thread you'll read about my experience of this set up.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Those who have gone to Avon ZZ5's have you done them all round?  My fronts are half worn Pirelli's so I have decided to try the ZZ5's on the back.  Only done 30 miles so far and tbh they are a bit slippery (probably a release agent) or something,  I haven't done any full heat cycles in them yet.

I need to run them in and will report back

I have now done 300 miles with the Avon ZZ5's on the rear and part worn Pirelli's on the front.

To my mind there is no doubt that the handling is compromised.  The rear of the car loses grip earlier when pressed but more importantly for me, under a constant cornering load the rear does not follow a constant line, you can feel the sidewalls moving meaning the car moves from feeling grippy to a feeling that its losing it and back to grippy.  Its similar to the way my Alpine GTA handles, it has the engine further back and doesn't run such low profile tyres.

There is a chance that the Avon's haven't had enough heat cycles yet and 50% of the 300 miles has been on the motorway, so I will keep monitoring them.  I may try higher tyre pressures at the rear to try and reduce the sidewall movement.

I think you may need to put a few more miles on them and/or adjust the pressures. As you can see from my comments I found they tramlined and suffered a bit from block movement but they seemed to have beaded in now, or possibly i've got used to them :) The cost saving isn't so great now, so I think I'll go back to Pirelli when they need replacing.

I am sure that you are right and I will give them more miles and pressure :)

The Avons worked out £100 cheaper for the pair.  If I stick with Pirellis I will need 3-4 sets of rears per annum, so the saving adds up to a decent service.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently put on a set of Dunlop Maxx RT boots, but held off posting until I had experienced them on track.

Cost, good (470 all inc), tick

Road manners, good (compliant and quiet), tick

Efficiency, (slightly better fuel economy), tick

Track performance (squirmy and howly), cross.

8 seconds, yep 8 seconds, slower round Goodwood than a two year old set of Pirelli's on their last legs.

Lesson learnt, stick to Manufacturers recommendations !

• 1 month later...

Update on the Avons

I have now had them on the car for 3000 miles, after increasing rear tyre pressures by 2 psi and driving about 1000 miles I have seen a marked improvement in handling.  I am able to take my local hills with tight hairpins as fast as I could with the Pirelli's and the confidence in the car and its chassis is back to levels it was with the PZero's

At this point my Pirelli's were half worn, the Avons still look pretty new and have circa 6mm of tread left.

My target is to get 12k miles out of the rears and I am looking to be on course, but will be swapping to winters in November.

So, it looks like the Avons need running in a bit.  I havent tried them properly on the track as it was pouring with rain when I did Prescott, but they were still grippy.  In fact when there is a lot of standing water etc I would suggest that they are better and more predictable than the Pirellis.

Struggling to get the correct yoko winters for the rear, can anyone recommend another brand?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I managed to get a set of new OEM wheels fitted with new Yoko winters off ebay. Paid about £1k which I thought was a reasonable price. I haven't seen them yet as my brother collected them. I am just wondering if 4 wheels with tyres will fit in the Evora?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've just had a full set delivered...... normal road tyres not winter tyres.....

18" and 19".......Pirelli pzero....as per m0 and m01

£468.72 delivered........

They were about £90 each for fronts...£145 rears......ordered and delivered within 4 days

Www.tyreleader.co.uk

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

The proper 20" rears for the S are currently on Camskill for £262.35 or £530.68 delivered a pair.   :thumbsup: Pirelli P Zero Asymmetrico 2.  275/30 R20 (97Y) XL (LO)

I've been watching the prices since putting the winters on the car after producing white stripes on the inner shoulder of my last set of summers at the end of October (er sorry officer :police: the canvas was showing. :huh: ) There was still 4mm of tread on the outside shoulder hence why I hadn't particularly noticed.  And yes, before you ask, that seems to be "normal" life and the geo was only checked on a full laser rig in the Spring/Summer.  I did get about 7K miles out of them so obviously wasn't trying hard enough!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Michelin claim to make a decent replacement (pilot super sport), is anyone running this tyre on the road who can report? I've used a Michelin replacement instead of Bridgestone OE on previous performance cars and been happy. But these prices are a bit rich to be gambling with. If it's Pirelli then so be it.

• 3 months later...

Michelin claim to make a decent replacement (pilot super sport), is anyone running this tyre on the road who can report? I've used a Michelin replacement instead of Bridgestone OE on previous performance cars and been happy. But these prices are a bit rich to be gambling with. If it's Pirelli then so be it.

It's a bit late to respond to this but my Evora S had Michelin PSS fitted when I collected it recently. I have had PSS on previous cars and they are, without a doubt, the best road tyres currently on the market. I can highly recommend them.

I bought the car off a member on here (brusselsangel) so I'm sure that Paul can also tell you why he fitted them originally.

• Like 1

They're OEM on the Evora 400. Epic tyres, my favourites too :)

Michelin PSS

and a reasonable price too......

looks like you can get a full set of 18"/19" for about £500

looks like the 19"/20" will cost you about another £200 on top

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

It's a bit late to respond to this but my Evora S had Michelin PSS fitted when I collected it recently. I have had PSS on previous cars and they are, without a doubt, the best road tyres currently on the market. I can highly recommend them.I bought the car off a member on here (brusselsangel) so I'm sure that Paul can also tell you why he fitted them originally.

Ah, so it was you I saw hooning it about last Friday with a Cayman in pursuit? ;) Edited by JAWS