Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyres - Page 7 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres

12,700 miles, 3rd set of rears about to be replaced! is it my right foot? help.gif

Maybe invest in a pair of motorsport shoes rather than the platform boots you must be driving in!!!

I am sure that "Swiss Toni" said - a throttle should be carressed like you are kissing a beatifull womans neck with your lips. You must be giving her the biggest hickie ever if you are getting through that many sets.

Only joking but that amount of tyres/miles must be a record !!

I got 9000 miles on my originals, and that was including a few track days

+1, swapped mine to winter tires after c 6,500 miles and they still have 4.5mm front to 5mm back left, which should be good for another 3,000 miles. First year included one trackday and some kilometers in the alps.

• 4 months later...

For those of you that are interested, I've noticed that mytyres.co.uk have got PZero MO1 19" rears in stock for £230 each.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=22963505.110.26807&typ=R-158179&ranzahl=4&Breite=255&Herst=Pirelli&Quer=35&Felge=19&Speed=W&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So

Also, as per a previous post I've been running Yokohama Advan Sport LTS (which were the tyres originally specified for the Evora) for 2.5k miles now and have noticed the wear rate seems better (they still look new) than I got with the PZeros and I haven't really noticed any reduction in dry road use grip etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Would you recommend the Yokos instead of the Pirellis? I am near 55.000 KM and the 4th set is to be bought. These Pirellis are fantastic, but real buttertires with melteffect.

Yes I would, for road use I haven't notice any discernible difference in grip levels although I haven't been on track with them and I only have them on the rear. There's still 6-7mm of tread left after 2,500miles, assuming they started with ~8mm. So should get over 10k miles out of them compared to 8k miles with the Pirellis which were borderline legal when changed.

Just considering the standard Pirelli rear tyres, I'm struck by the wide variation in reported life. (Reports on other threads too.) From well under 5K miles to up 10K miles. I've not done a detailed survey but some of the longer life people refer to serious use, including some on track, and some shorter life people - and I can speak for myself on that - don't suggest they always aim to beat their previous times to the supermarket etc. Certainly my use is generally "sensible Lotus" with just occasional - and necessarily brief, not living near Scottish roads and needing to avoid arrest - high power.

There are the obvious possible reasons that we all know, but I'm wondering whether there may be some variation in the chassis set-up geometry - hopefully all within tolerance, but still differing - that could be relevant. Evora handling is so just good that even with some variations in production set-up, the result would still be "marvellous" for most people, because they don't take it to the limits where a real track expert could detect handling differences; and in any case they don't have the chance to try different cars - certainly not at the handling limit.

It's just a thought. Might it be worth asking for an opinion from Lotus? I know that tyre wear was not taken lightly during development.

I have wondered exactly that myself. I am one of the ones that has never tracked but does fequently use our quieter roads to their full and am only getting around 8K miles I think. Now further confused by having two sets and I really should record different mileages on each Summer & Winter set. (Soon to be Winter all year by the feel of the weather. Snow in bloody mid May! We have a family wedding today and it is in a marquee in the grounds of a house!)

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Could it be, that the Pirellis are just as unpredictable as their 2012 F1 tyres?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

:hrhr:

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Just a thought, but I seem to remember that the early cars didn't have the traction control system as standard - might that have an impact on tyre life?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Interested to know if anyone has experienced differential wear across their rear tyre's width (moderators feel free to move to a new thread but this seemed an obvious place to discuss it).

I picked up my used 7,500 mile Evora S last weekend and noticed that whilst there's a decent 5mm on the outer three quarters of the tyre (the bit I checked on my previous test drive) the inner quarter is at about 3mm - visibly different on the first groove with wear indicators compared to the rest. It's the same effect on both rears. I'd be questioning the geo if I saw this on another car - do I need to get that checked or is this a "they all do that" or possibly down to the previous owner's driving style?

Is it worth swapping the tyres left to right? I know they're directional but are they handed?

You rub it in Antony! ;)

Tom, the rear tyres are asymmetric so swapping them over won't be adventageous (the fronts are directional). Probably best to check the geo and also the tyre pressures. It could just be the previous owner gave it some hell. :D

Edited by JAWS

• Gold FFM

Checked the pressures and they were way off - 31 front instead of 35 and 33 rear instead of 38. Why don't owners (and dealers prepping a used car) check these things?!

I'll see how it goes for a bit and get the geo done before my trackday in September.

FWIW, and not that much, as mine is an NA (different geo, wheel size, tyre width to the S), I'm finishing off second lot of rears at 12k miles. Normal pressures except occasional +2/3 psi for long fast trips, and always even wear across tread, front and rear. A check would seem worth it, given the small cost compared with rubber. I've found Micheldever Tyres good.

• 2 weeks later...

My original rears did 10,500 and still had 2.5mm. Fitted a set of the original factory fit again as I didn't want different to the front. I used to get around 5,000 out of 888s on the Elise.

• 1 month later...

I need a pair of rears and have found some Pirelli MO1 online for £216 supply only inc. delivery via oponeo

Sounds like a keen price? Anyone know any issues with these as a supplier?

• 2 weeks later...