Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine work to be done - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine work to be done

Dave Freeman

Dave if you need a hand drop me a PM.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 4 weeks later...

Right, the "back" is now fully recovered and I am now getting excited about starting the project, I have put some posts on the Stainless manifold topic, but I am going to record the process on this topic.

So where do we start, well the header has arrived and it looks good. Just about to order the bits I need, so the list looks like this:-

1. Clutch, pressure plate and thrust race

2. Water pump, going to do a refurb, this is about

Dave,great to hear your back is ok again now doc.gif and that you are bursting with enthusiasm for the job ahead thumbsup.gif

I think you should have your engine out,both for ease with the planned tasks but also to tidy the rest of the engine bay construction.gif

Not convinced with your idea of painting the motor black though... shock.gif

Your car is obviously black so losing a lot of contrast there,and how are you going to spot any fluid leaks etc in the future...? no.gif

Only my humble opinion mate...! sofa.gif

Good point about the colour, I did think of that but I did not come up with another colour. It could be flame orange, or blue, what about white - need some ideas here.

What about RED, deep flame red.

Still some time to decide, any suggestions would be welcome

Dave

I'm not aware that the gearbox will come out from underneath on anything after an S2. I would personally not remove the engine and gearbox separately, unless you have a good reason to do so. (I have done a few engine/gearbox and gearbox single handed, its not such a bad job - just need a suitable crane, decent access and enough headroom!

Good Luck

Steve

Hi, no real reason to remove seperately, I thought it might be easier. I was told by others that the gearbox would come out underneath, this is the first time I have pulled the engine so its all new to me.

Thanks for the advise

The box can come out underneath the rear. You can even straddle it and do it manually. There's a lot of room then to access the various connections and manoeuvre the engine out. Also you won't be worrying about bumping and damaging the paint. As for the hatch, leave it on but remove the sunroof and unclip two gas rams. Have somebody hold the hatch up vertically while you're removing the engine.

This has become my preferred method

DanR

Well you live and learn - Surely you still need to remove the chassis brace which is still in situ on you photo? (definitely if turbo is still on, as you need to rotate the box before you can pull it back). Knowing the amount effort I have needed to refit the gearbox in situ single handed - I will stick to removing them as a single unit. I suppose you have the choice Dave, if you hava a 'team'. (Bear in mind there is no holding the tailgate vertical inside a normal garage). Wear gloves if you're working outside today!

cheers Steve

Why not just loop a rope around the engine?

Yasuo, that engine surround looks ace, more pics please! :)

DSC05353.jpg

DSC05360.jpg

p.s. I'd take the two out togeather as a unit, trying to refit the gearbox seperately was a pain in the ASS!!!

Chunky Lover

Having done this may times, I agree, pull the whole lump together. Personally I don't see any real benefit to pulling them separate, it just takes longer. Everything is so much easier to get to out of the car. I don't even remove any of the ancillaries except the charge cooler.

I also recommend removing the hatch as with two people it only takes 5-10 minutes. Put scribe marks where the hinge attaches to the hatch and refitting is a breeze as well.

1994LotusS4019.jpg

1995 S4s

• Gold FFM

I think you need to retire your ramps for this one, Dave. Whether to drop the box first (yes it will go downwards) or remove as a single unit depends on your hoist, and therefore your balance point. If space and physics permit, then as a single unit is preferable. As Jim says, definitely have the deck off in your workshop. And I agree with Simon - a rope sling is fine!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Sparky, I just wanted to use my ramps......sob, sob,sleeping.gif

I agree oh great one, use the force and pull it all out at once.

Going to use the ramps to remove and disconnect most of the bits then roll of ramp and pull it out. Going to pull the engine week end of the 23rd and 24th, anyone up for some fun that weekend, Paul, sparky, felix, chris, Colin, anyone else up for a bit of workshop on the saturday, Rum and singstar saturday night and what ever happens on the sunday, Megans agreed to do a "Megan Fry up"

band.gif + construction.gif = FUN

Dave

Edited by Dave Freeman

"Going to use the ramps to remove and disconnect most of the bits then roll of ramp and pull it out. Going to pull the engine week end of the 23rd and 24th, anyone up for some fun that weekend, Paul, sparky, felix, chris, Colin, anyone else up for a bit of workshop on the saturday, Rum and singstar saturday night and what ever happens on the sunday, Megans agreed to do a "Megan Fry up"

Any chance of putting it back a week, its Dawns birthday on the 21st so we'll probably be away that weekend

Colin

• Gold FFM

And it's my birthday on the 24th! That could be either a pro or a con...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Im committed to work that weekend Dave, I will see if I can get a swap with a colleague? Alternatively, I am good to go next weekend if your about? Let me know either way mate :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

30th / 31st is good for me, Im in, if this date is a go :)

Edited by rocket63

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg