Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Laser Eye Surgery - Page 2 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Laser Eye Surgery

Bibs

• Gold FFM
Am I reading rightly that astigmatism can be corrected now?

This is what my Mother had done late last year. One eye at a time though. Going back later this year for the eye.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Hi All

Has anyone heard of the procedure which removes your eyes lense and replaces it with a plastic one? My eyes are terrible +525 left and +750, currently my glasses are being borrowed by the Hubble telescope.

I wear contacts during daylight hours (night vision is awfull) but i really cant see as well as i can wearing specs,i would truly love to get rid of specs ,cost for eye care is outrageous ,specs

Simplest things first.

• Gold FFM

yep - buddy of mine had both lenes replaced due to cataracts.

he does not even wear glasses now - amazing.

He said it was the weirdess thing during the operation - he is lying there awake, they are working on his eye, then bam - everything goes dark, then some pressure and the lights go on, he can see blury again, the doc turns the lens a little and everything comes into super sharp focus.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Hi All

Has anyone heard of the procedure which removes your eyes lense and replaces it with a plastic one? My eyes are terrible +525 left and +750, currently my glasses are being borrowed by the Hubble telescope.

I wear contacts during daylight hours (night vision is awfull) but i really cant see as well as i can wearing specs,i would truly love to get rid of specs ,cost for eye care is outrageous ,specs

• 2 years later...

I know this was discussed a few years ago but things move on.

I was wondering if anyone has done this recently and has any advice. In particular whether to get both eyes done at the same time or whether to do one at a time. Also what is the recovery period is like? How many days off work do you need etc.

I am thinking of having the more expensive wavefront treatment as it promises better night vision.

Thanks for any advice.

Alan

Worth considering, 1 in 4 people have Dry eyes syndrome. I have it and can't have laser surgery. I looked on an eye forum a few years ago and some people with dry eyes had had the procedure done and they said life had become a living nightmare as they had to re-hydrate their eyes every half an hour.

If you don't have this problem then you should be ok.

Edited by Mark Blanchard

Alan,

As Mat says, I had mine done about 3 years ago now.

Like you I had wavefront. Chose a highly recommended clinic in Harley street.

Excellent service and care.

Both eyes done at the same time.

Think I took a week off work but probably could have gone back earlier if pushed

Could see well enough immediately after surgery to walk to my hotel, although sun glasses were needed.

Artificial tears are necessary for a while.

My only problem was one eye being a little dry for longer than expected. Just meant using the artificial tears for a little longer.

I would recommend the op. My only regret is not having it done sooner

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

I am also interested in this question being reviewed as I have have just moved from using dual vision glasses for computer screen and keyboard distance to having to wear glasses even for driving and not just reading. So even sunglasses become a problem although had a set of Oakleys made up with driving prescription and for holidays. Pain in the backside having to change glasses all the time though as Varifocals & I just don't get on for some reason. Just scared of it all going horribly wrong I suppose is the only thing holding me back. Some real life stories would be good, as opposed to positive publicity only put out by Vision Express or whoever is selling it.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

I had wavefront PRK done on Dec 17th. Both eyes same time, took 10-15 seconds per eye, total time in the room was ~5min.

With the wavefront they can correct some astigmatism and refraction errors too. I had my company pay for it, I only had to pay $400 out of pocket :)

I chose PRK rather than LASIK since PRK leaves more of your cornea intact and does not weaken the structure...

I also chose PRK because I have large pupils and would have been able to see the edge of the flap from LASIK at night. I also had thin corneas, and a horizontal bow-tie astigmatism in the right eye. That type of astigmatism is rare and can cause problems after LASIK.... as in Keratectasia...

The PRK surgery involves them softening the outer layer of epithelium (living cell layer on top of the ey that can grow back) with alcohol and removing it. The laser reshapes the outside of the cornea, and no flap is cut. So you retain most of the cornea! The stroma portion (the bulk of the clear cornea) is permanent and will never grow back... Therefore the LASIK flap is permanent!

PRK takes a bit longer to heal from, about 3 days before you can drive, and a few months of steroid drops with a bunch of antibiotic drps before and after the surgery for a week or two. LASIK patients can drive the next day.

I had mine on a Thursday, so only had to take off the two days, but I had the next several weeks off work for Christmas vacation.

I do not have any dry eyes now, very comfortable, but then I do have my tear drains cauterized (years ago for contact use) so my eyes stay more moist than normal people (and I live in a very dry climate).

My night vision is very good, but sometimes I get a tear film on the right eye (more on that later) that causes some bluriness until I blink and refocus.

My main problem was that I had a sinus infection the week before I had my surgery, and despite the antibiotics I got a nasty eye infection a few days after the surgery!!! The epithelium takes 4 days to grow back, and it actually grew over the infection!!! :)

So the infection was really in there! And it was eating my cornea (mostly on the inside of the right eye, with a few spots on the left). The Surgeon was pretty concerned, he had never seen anything like it in 15years and over 20,000 surgeries! They put me on very strong antibiotic drops and a steroid drop (every other drop every half hour for a few weeks!). That part hurt! I also had to go in and see the surgeon and a doctor every day for a few weeks, including New Years and Christmas day.

myeyeyz.jpg

The infection finally cleared, and I have 20/15 vision, and the infection didn't hurt the cornea in the visual axis... So I am very lucky!

I think the other mistake I made was that I really didn't have any discomfort or dryness the first couple of days, so I wasn't using the tears drops, which might have helped flush the infection out.

I love my vision now, I'm 20/15 (better than average) and my night vision is still very good, and I have no dryness or discomfort. Using a computer all day is comfortable, snowboarding is great (I can see everything!), driving is better, sleeping without worrying about taking out the contacts, riding a bike, everything is better!

Just don't do it if you have a sinus infection, and use all of the drops they tell you, and use them religiously!

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I'm having laser surgery this week, unfortunately not the good kind but laser iridotomy to open up some drainage channels. I asked if they'd sort out my short sightedness on the sly but they didn't seem keen!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 3 years later...

Although the iridotomy didn't work and I'm still having problems with interocular hypertension I'm ready to push to the button finally on the corrective surgery.

Any recent recommendations? The Optimax half price deal (£2295 for both) appeals at the mo...

I can't speak for the services over there, but within the last year I have had both eyes done, going from not being able to find my way out of bed in the mornings without my glasses, to passing the sight test for driving without them.

Thoroughly check out the surgeon you intend to use, there are good ones and negligent ones.

I've had both lenses replaced, takes a few weeks to settle in, I've also had laser surgery to my right eye to clear up some debris.

I was at the stage where I avoided driving at night, to now being totally comfortable to do so. When I come back out of the water from a swim I can find my towel on the beach!

It seriously can improve your quality of life in ways you have not imagined yet.

Do it, but choose a good surgeon, we only have one pair of eyes. Good luck.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Haven't had the Lasik procedure done, my only laser experience being diabetic retinopathy laser surgery followed by a vitrectomy.

I had tried contacts back in the 80's but the soft contacts back then sucked my eyes dry. Thought I'd be a glasses person forever until having cataract surgery with implants inserted about a year ago. Amazing to see the LED clock clearly at night for the first time since LEDS were invented!!! :-P  (I started wearing glasses about age 12). After surgery It was many weeks before I stopped trying to reach up to take my now missing glasses off when stepping into the shower. Life is good wearing normal sunglasses.

I saw my eye doctor today and since I'm a glaucoma suspect with elevated pressures they've said they'd rather I didn't have this until the interocular pressure is lowered and stabilised :(

Kinda makes sense too since it would be a waste of lolly to have it done then lose vision anyway!

• 7 months later...

Turns out that the drops I'm taking have lowered my interocular pressure to below average and the hospital are happy for me to have laser eye surgery now. FYI pressure should be 10-20 mmHg, the average is 15-16 and mine made it up into the 40's but is now below average at 12-13. Nicey.

I've been for the consultation this morning which was good. Turns out that wearing contacts from morning to night isn't ideal and I've blood vessels encroaching on my corneas but these should be gone within a week or two of not wearing lenses. I've been given a couple of lots of eye drops to use to help with this. From 20+ years of lenses I've also got dry eyes which leads to a lot of the discomfort I experience when not wearing lenses, hence keeping them in a long time each day. The chap said it was like looking at an ice rink and professionally interesting to see from his side of the table, but not so much fun from mine. I've been given some more drops for that which should improve the tear film so that's 4 different chemicals I'm putting in my eyes each day now!

Funny that in all these years, even more recently under the care of a hospital eye clinic no-one has mentioned this before. Ho-hum, anyway it's easily reversible and doesn't stop the surgery so I'm booked in for the 28th Feb. I asked why it's not been pointed out and he said that since I've been at the clinic for high IOP that's all they check along with the retina by the optic nerve and visual fields. Despite peering into my eyes and seeing the other problem it's not their concern so they don't mention it. 

£4,290 for both eyes with Optical Express, and potential 20:10 vision and the end of the eye discomfort I've lived with for years. Woo-hoo! 

:thumbsup:

• Gold FFM

The more I think about this the more it makes sense. I have worn gas permeable lenses 18 hours a day for 28 years now (can't have done my eyes any good) Plus the really annoying thing is now I put lenses in 6.30am then (the older I get) struggle to read things anyway as the bifocal becomes more and more of a problem.

£4290 is a lot of beans - some would say 'thats nearly half a Lotus' and probably the only thing putting me off.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Good luck Bibs! And go re read my post from the previous page. Remember to use all the drops and antibiotics they give you, and don't have a sinus infection when you get it done!

I'm still really happy with mine :)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I was just reading through their website for more info and if I booked the consultation before the end of Jan (which I did) and have the treatment before the end of Feb (which I am) I get 20% off. Just called and they've dropped £858 off the bill :D

Hi Bibs, my Wife had this done probably about 10 or so years ago & it improved her eye sight no end but she does find her eyes are dry first thing in the morning & has to put drops in when she wakes & she is now finding some slight deterioration in her vision but they did say this would happen as she gets older & she can still read no problem. I, on the other hand had brilliant vision until about 2 years ago but now need reading glasses, I find them a right pain but I'm such a wimp when it comes to my eyes & don't think I could get them done. I just can't stand the thought of anyone going near them, I did once try to put some coloured lenses in for a fancy dress night & couldn't even get those in, my eyes refused to stay open ;-)

Phil.

I had the same blood vessels forming on my corneas BiBs.

They were reluctant to do my eyes as my corneas were thin. I had to have LASEK rather that LASIK. My vision was perfect for around a month then went severaly downhill and they said I'd need them redoing in three months. By the time the three months had passed my vision was better than 20/20. They've been fine since, although they are dry if I rub them.

I now need reading glasses (which laser surgery doesn't correct) and my left eye isn't quite as good as my right but still fine for driving.

The company I work for is the biggest supplier of ophthalmic lasers, although I'm nothing to do with that division.

I had Lasik treatment in October. I'm really happy with the results. I must say the procedure is the most unpleasant experience of my adult life, but well worth it!

I had a bad experience with my first consultation at Optical Express in Birmingham. The bastards closed up and went home half way through the consultation. Seriously unprofessional!

After complaining to their head office, they offered me another consultation at a different branch (Merry Hill), and dropped the price to £2020.