Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made you UNHAPPY today! - Page 83 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you UNHAPPY today!

rocket63

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, Colin P said:

I don’t however agree with complaints about whether the fence is suitable for OP dogs. if it is the neighbours fence then I’m sorry, but it is their choice as to what they have. If the fence they instal doesn’t meet your needs the only thing you can do is to install an entire second fence your side.

Half the reason for extending the height of that section of fence was to keep their 3 spaniels from coming into our garden, leaving their deposits and generally winding-up our guys. The neighbours apparently hadn't been aware that this was happening and so readily agreed that I could put my panels up against their fence, in fact they suggested attaching them to the existing posts rather than me having to install new ones. Now those panels have gone along with their old fence, so a second fence will definitely be going in firmly on my side of the dividing line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alfa2Evora said:

, in fact they suggested attaching them to the existing posts rather than me having to install new ones. Now those panels have gone along with their old fence, so a second fence will definitely be going in firmly on my side of the dividing line.

Hi Dave, I'm not disputing that this probably all could have been avoided if your neighbours had actually talked to you, or even whether the fence is suitable for their (dogs) needs. Really just making the point that it is their fence and therefore they can pretty much do what they like with it, indeed if they wanted they could simply remove it. (Controlling their dogs is a separate issue). Certainly unless I was replacing like for like I'd discuss my plans with my neighbours first (it's what good neighbours do) and if I knew that they had dogs (or wild kids) I'd let them know when I was doing it.

Clearly from your comments here, your bit of fence was free standing, on your side and belonged to you. Removal of this together with cutting/trampling plants beyond the boundary is unacceptable, but this is one reason I don't use contractors for anything I can do myself, because all they are interested in is getting the job done as quickly and easily as possible and to hell with any consequences for anyone else. I always consider my neighbours when doing work. On the odd occasion (funnily enough also fencing contractors) where I have had an issue with contractors my neighbours have been as annoyed with the contractors as I have. Generally speaking people wouldn't want their contractors upsetting their neighbours.

Upshot is that your neighbours will now be looking at 2 fences - you'll only see yours and moving on you'll have full control over it, just make sure that the boundary remains clearly marked, or you may find them, or subsequent owners, claiming 12 inches of your garden further down the line. 

In fact if you are feeling particularly mischevious, get some nice bright signs made up saying "This fence belongs to No XX and has been installed 12 inches to the south of the property line, do not interfere with, or attach things to this fence". Then screw them to each fence panel above the height of their fence, so that they can see each and every one of them.

• Haha 2

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

when youve left your Lotus Elite at the garage in Whaley Bridge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49231384

and the owner sends you a message saying the garage has been flooded out........

but he's not been allowed back in to have a look at the damage yet......

• Sad 8

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Oh No! Hope its ok mate!

Mine is:

When you leave your newly painted car with newly powder coated wheels at the tyre place for 2 new tyres and they use brake cleaner on the weight glue to remove it. Brake cleaner.....the only thing that would effect powder coated gloss wheels.......Absolute fucktards!

• Sad 5

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2019 at 00:22, Bibs said:

Whole house is flooded inside under 2 inches of very suspect water. Not ideal. 

11 weeks to the day and zero has happened in real terms on both the buildings and contents insurance. I've been told by the contents people that 6 weeks of the delay is due to the loss adjuster being on holiday so I've begun their official complaints procedure and the buildings have said that work will start on the strip out at the end of this week. 

My first insurance claim ever and hasn't painted the industry in a wonderful light. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

@Bibsthats crap.......that 3 months almost..........disgusting.......

and theyve only got one person doing loss adjusting?.........b?&^$&^$..........Its not bleedin 'highlander'

especially if they're deciding to take a 6 week holiday..........ggggrrrrrrr

:wallbash:

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

The buildings sent a chap on Friday to assess the damp and in many places the floors and walls are still off the scale on his machine despite the weather we've had and time that's passed.

One of the wardrobes collapsed as the side had bowed and the hanging rail fell taking the shelf out too! The sofas are still damp in the hardwood frames and are on a 10-12 week lead time with the company I bought them from. 

It's pretty shit really. 

Bibs, have you not had a professional drying company in?  If they are waiting for things to dry naturally there will be a bloody long wait, even in good weather. Can’t repair until it’s dry but they should be actively drying the property. 

Are you still living there?

• Like 2

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

5 hours ago, Colin P said:

Bibs, have you not had a professional drying company in?

The guy who came last Friday left 2 x dehums. In the meantime, I've been running my own since the flood and my ac/drier unit. I'll be making a claim for the running costs of these. He did say that they will just be drying between the oak engineered floorboards and the screed beneath is still wet. 

The plan is that once they strip out the floors, walls, skirts, architraves and doors later this week they drying will be more effective. He said that this will take 2-6 weeks of me living with no walls/doors/plaster so I might request alternative accommodation while this is being done although in truth I'd rather not move out. 

8 hours ago, Bibs said:

The plan is that once they strip out the floors, walls, skirts, architraves and doors later this week they drying will be more effective. He said that this will take 2-6 weeks of me living with no walls/doors/plaster so I might request alternative accommodation while this is being done although in truth I'd rather not move out. 

The threat may assist in jigging things along a bit. You could also try the threat of moving out to push for a daily hardship payment to "persuade you to stay". Either way an ongoing daily bill may help them make decisions on how much they spend drying the place. Clearly no strip out and no drying in 3 months is piss poor.

Concrete floor under timber floor = removal of timber floor unless it is raised, there is no way that'll dry otherwise and you'll likely end up with mould.

I must say @Bibs you do seem to be being messed around.

I came home from holiday 2 years ago to find the whole upstairs of the house soaking, floor to ceilings, and practically everything had mould on it.

That night insurers ( MoreThan) agreed to put the three of us in a hotel. 2 days later the assessor arrived, 4 days after that the whole upstairs was emptied and drying equipment installed in each room for 3 weeks.

We moved to a local holiday cottage and all the bills were picked up by the Insurance Company. Within 4 weeks we had a list of all removed furnishing and belongings and whether they were condemned or salvagable (this included a wedding dress, silk ball gowns etc - I know, but I used to like doing the hoovering in them).

Not trying to piss you off, but your Insurance Company really does need to step up their pace.

We were out of the house for 10 months in the end. A huge pita but, our insurance company were faultless in their response and they do need praise for that.

The 3rd party Assessor, the 3rd party works coordinator and the 3rd party decorator where shockingly poor and shoddy. But I can't blame the insurance company for that.

Get a rocket (or a drone) up their arse mate. You pay for insurance for them to deal with this stuff.

Good luck!

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Another Loss Adjuster just called. He said he's going to pick up on the contents claim and see what he can do. He discouraged me from appointing a Loss Assessor (red flag) and asked if I would like to give him a chance to sort this and cancel my complaint (red flag). I said he's got 48 hours to settle the claim or I'm proceeding with the complaint. 

VOE, Loss Assessors more often than not just get in the way. The only time I have seen them benefit an insured is where the claim is dodgy and they are looking to exploit any gray areas. Personally I'd steer well clear - no better than credit hire companies in my book. 

I see no reason to withdraw a complaint however, if it has been earned then I'd keep it live. Problem is that if you push too hard (which the Loss Assessor will if only to prove to you that they are earning their fee) you'll end up with the insurer becoming defensive and therefore second guessing themselves at every step = more delays.

Careful of pushing for "settlement" if you take an early cash settlement then that is it. In cases with severe flood damage like this you often see the costs escalating as the strip out takes place. I assume you actually mean you want to see appropriate progress taking place and expedition of strip out, drying and ultimately repairs and if it were me this is what I'd be specifying.

That's exactly it. The contents is new for old with no depreciation, that's clear cut and the only settlement I'll accept is to replace everything that has been damaged. The buildings did say that if they find more damage as they go, it's covered as opposed to a cash settlement which once you take you're on your own so we're going ahead with their builders on it and come what may, it'll be back to how it was before the flood on their ticket.

I take on board regarding the complaint, he's got 'til lunchtime on Thursday and I'll re-open it if the claim isn't settled, which I see there being zero chance of based on my current experience. 

• Gold FFM

Baring in mind I worked for Insurance Companies for over a decade - I hate them all with a passion. So keen to take your money and not so keen to settle. I have only ever had one household claim in 25 years that was around 5 years back. Even before they had settled the claim, the renewal documents arrived for the next 12 months and the premium had now risen to more than my claim amount.

Legalised theft Companies. 

• Sad 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Had a settlement offer from the contents people today. £4k shy of the cost of replacement so that argument is now happening. "New for Old", there's no much wiggle room in my opinion! 

7 hours ago, Bibs said:

Had a settlement offer from the contents people today. £4k shy of the cost of replacement so that argument is now happening. "New for Old", there's no much wiggle room in my opinion! 

New for old is a misleading description perhaps this description will help:-

https://swpp.co.uk/insurance/new-for-old.htm

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Washing the cars today and trying to clean off the hundreds of little bird poos. 3 years ago we never had a problem, but it’s been getting worse and worse. The cars are washed weekly (usually) but now they quite litterally get hundreds of these little yellow poos all over them within days. 

Anyone come up with and ingenious ways to pusuade the little buggers to go elsewhere?

• Gold FFM

So I pull into a carpark and see a spot to my left that I decide to reverse into. Swing right to line rear of car with the parking spot, stop, select reverse, look in mirrors, no problem, start to reverse, crunch, car behind me kept coming and ended up behind me. By this time I was watching my left mirror lining up a kerb in the carpark with the passenger side of my car.

Call insurer. Have to make a claim as apparently since I was reversing, I am at fault. No matter that the car behind me kept coming thinking that I was turning into the centre section of the carpark.

My car? RHS taillight and a little kink in the quarter panel. Her Volvo SUV? Crease to the bonnet, broken headlight, paint scuffs to the right hand side of the front bumper. Probably damaged the little crush brackets behind the bumper as well.

Premium will now go up next year.

Not a happy camper.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Oooops. I'd challenge it was your fault as surely your reversing lights were on and she should have stopped. But hey ho...

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!