Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil stat? - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil stat?

Rich H

Yep, oil coolers aren't fussy about flow direction.

That solution seems a little overengineered when taking the one corner off each of the adaptors would do it...

Will it still fit in with all that sticking out?

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• 2 months later...

BF Spanners did mine - very very tight!

I ended up arranging the spanners so I could put a lever between them to get more leverage!

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• 2 months later...

Oil Hose fittings are 1-1/8". Fittings which screw into the sandwich plate are 28mm. Rich, I used your method=levers and crow bars.

There is an evidence of white paste thread sealer. I'm planning to use Permatex 56521.

MrDangerUS

• 6 months later...

Word of advice for all brave souls trying to do this right. It is much easier to do it in the following order:

Install only the "inboard" fitting into the plate, install the sandwich plate,(tighten the collar with the brute force). Next, connect the inboard hose end to the fitting using 1-1/8" crowfoot wrench. THEN, install the outboard fitting into the sandwich plate and the outboard hose end to the fitting. Use Loctite on all threads.

Removal of the OE plate is much easier if you follow above instructions, but in reverse order. Start from removing outboard hose end , then outboard fitting (28mm socket). This will allow you a convenient access to the inboard hose and fitting.

Use 1/2" extensions, 21" flex ratchet and couple of oak 1.5"x1.5" sticks as a levers/crowbars. Lotus used some kind of a Gorilla thread-locker on those threads and fittings.

Access is much easier if you disconnect and remove pivoting shifter arm located below.

Edited by MrDangerUS
  • Like 1

MrDangerUS

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

When you try to slacken the OE oil hose fittings you have to use a really long breaker bar and a sturdy (Stahlwille) crow foot wrench.

They are glued with some kind of ”Gorilla" glue!

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys. Just had a crack at this today. Getting the old one out proved to be easy. Getting the new one in though! How do you tighten the central nut? I'm completely unable to get a spanner on there due to the shape of the sandwich plate. It looks like it's 1" but no one seems to sell sae tools anymore!

Can anyone confirm that a socket will fit on it without fouling the sandwich plate?

Edited by cammmy

Box spanner?

Just a tiny diversion......Would this push on thermostat be a viable alternative to the Mocal, spliced into the oil lines? If so it sounds like it would save a lot of spannerwork swapping the sandwich plate. I'm assuming hose clips can keep the oil pressure at bay?

http://www.burtonpower.com/mocal-in-line-oil-thermostat-5-8-push-on-mocot2.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=prodlistad&utm_campaign=gb_feed?WbRf=ProdListAd&gclid=CL_34vajzMQCFUzKtAodlA4Alg

MOCOT1_Oil_Stat_3.jpg

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Sure, probably would but, you'd be adding several points of failure, and you'd still need the sandwich plate.

Some people have do that, along with a remote oil filter, since on the BOSCH injected cars, it is quite difficult to access the oil filter.

Hi Guys. Just had a crack at this today. Getting the old one out proved to be easy. Getting the new one in though! How do you tighten the central nut? I'm completely unable to get a spanner on there due to the shape of the sandwich plate. It looks like it's 1" but no one seems to sell sae tools anymore!

Can anyone confirm that a socket will fit on it without fouling the sandwich plate?

If you look at my photos on page 2, it looks like there is enough room for a socket, no problem...  Needs to be a deep one. I believe I used a socket, it is not torqued a huge amount...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

I remember those oil fittings as well when I had a leak from the engine. I have yet to undo them. They are incredibly tight. :shock:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I bought a 1" spanner and it seems the right size (it's either that or 26mm. I can only get the open end of the spanner on due to the shape of the plate and the fact the engine is in the car)

I've tracked down and ordered a 1" socket as well as a 26mm deep socket. Hopefully I'll be able to get one of them on.

Looking at the Mocal MOCTB3 which Travis has fitted, what unions are needed which don't come with the plate? Does it come with the central fitting to tighten it to the main housing? and what size are the fittings connecting between the thermostat housing and the flexy pipes? oh and are the Dowty type washers included?

Thanks

Glyn