Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Can anyone identify this plug? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Can anyone identify this plug?

cazna52

After doing a clutch change and putting everything back together my car has no spark. I must have missed a plug when I was putting the boot floor electrics back in.

I think this plug is the culprit, does anyone know what it is or where I can find his mate?

img0213jb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On mine - an '86, that looks like the plug that links the rear electrics with the speed limiter and fuel sender - so near the wheel arch and under near the tank.

But thats on an '86 of course....

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

It comes out of the boot electronics on the left side of the electronics box, so in the middle of the boot tray. In the photo the blue cable above it is the HT cable going from the coil to the distributor.

Hopefully it does have a matching plug to go into and it is the problem but it wouldn't be the first time on this car that I have found a plug that just doesn't go anywhere.

Steve checked on his car and it looks like that plug is unused. Maybe one of the plugs that is plugged in is loose or I knocked some other connector off. I will keep looking.

• Gold FFM

I can identify it.

It's a white 5 pin female plug.

Does that help? :sofa:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

According to the test below from the service notes the problem is the distributor pickup. It is supposed to read 2-5k ohms but it is reading about 60M ohms. It baffles me though why this problem would have occurred when I was changing a clutch. The closest I went to the distributor was taking off the starter motor but I can't imagine knocking the distributor with the starter would kill the pickup.

pickupk.jpg

To make things worse a little later in the service notes it says this.

26267197.jpg

I am beginning to think I am not going to have my car back on the road for quite a while.

60 Meg is a complete open circuit, sounds like a plug off somewhere and is to much of a co-incidence to be a dizzy failure. I bet it's a loose/missing connection or a bad earth somewhere which may have been disturbed during the gearbox work.

Too many Toys are never enough !

I was suspecting that it could have been a fractured wire. The only thing I can think of that I could have done to brake it was to pull the plug out when I was taking the boot floor out. I could have put too much pressure on it. Maybe if I take everything apart I can cut the wires inside the dizzy and splice new wire in. It is at least worth a try as it would mean not having to source and wait for parts.

If I cut and splice where the crosses are in this photo it would eliminate most of the length where a fracture may exist.

distributor.jpg

Unfortunately that is not a photo of my dizzy, I still have to take mine out.

The deadline for the job is this Saturday. I am meeting my girlfriend in person for the first time and taking 3 weeks off work. If I don't have my car fixed I will have to borrow my grandmothers car which will be a lot less impressive than my Esprit, lol.

Edited by cazna52

Agreed, do you have a multimeter to check continuity ?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)