Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Top Gear - New Series - Page 20 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Top Gear - New Series

Really? REALLY?

Oh dear what has this world come to.

It wasn't aired, another take was used, he mumbles the middle of it, I really don't see there being any issue at all.

My nephew has been taught this rhyme in school, he's been taught to use the word pirate.

Is that not offensive to pirates?

Seriously, whatever.......

Chunky Lover

Guest surferphil

Clarkson punched the (disgraced) Editor of the Daily mirror in the face - years ago.

Recently Clarkson made fun of him on top gear.

Daily mirror publish an 'exclusive' story of Clarkson not saying an offensive word but making him out to.

= A silly revenge tactic only the Daily Mirror would stoop so low to use.

Piers Morgan and the Mirror are the devils bitches.  :whistle:

Madness how the slip of a tongue can be turned into calling him a racist, isn't that slander by acusing him of being a racist? I couldnt count how many times I hum a tune with words that are now considered in appropriate now which made us chuckle as kids.

Interesting how the social mores change. Back when Moley was a lad, "Eeny Meeny Miney Mo" was part of everyday life. There existed a colour called "Nigger Brown". My mother would refer to it...it was simply the name of a colour. Swearing, on the other hand, especially by women and the young, was a total no-no. These days, we have the foulest of foul language being used by everyone from toddlers on up, and everyone throws up their hands in horror when they watch "The Dam Busters" because of Guy Gibson's dog. Autre temps, autre mores.....

I can't see that Clarkson did anything wrong at all. Whatever he said, it wasn't broadcast....he'd obviously learned the same childish rhyme as I had...and one also wonders at the horror being expressed, often by those who use the forbidden word all the time to refer to themselves...in the same way as my gay chum Rajesh calls himself a queer. Shock horror. The whole affair owes more to a media feeding frenzy than to reality. We shall be into Orwellian territory of thought control next.....

The correct appelation for those of us of a darker hue has changed over the years....I recall when they had to be referred to as "coloured"...calling them "black" was beyond the pale. There was a case of a Policeman being castigated for calling a miscreant he was arresting a "black bastard"....the point of contention was not the deadly insult "bastard"..referring to being born out of wedlock, and liable to elicit violence in my younger days...but the purely descriptive term "black".  Now it seems "black" is the preferred term....I suppose we will all end up using the Identification code and referring to "IC 3s". I wonder if there would have been the same outcry had the copper called his arrestee an "IC3 bastard"?

It seems it is simply human nature to pick on some obvious distinguishing feature...is there a spectacle wearing child who hasn't been called "four eyes"...or an overweight one who hasn't benefitted from the description "fatso"... or the follically challenged (like me) who hasn't been called "slaphead" or "baldy"?? I can assure all those who get het up about the N-word that these things can be dreadfully hurtful, and you simply have to put up with it as there is no band of liberal public opinion coming to YOUR aid. We don't seem to be able to simply call someone a bastard or an arsehole, without adding some other appelation as a prefix! Is this purely an English thing, or does it exist in other languages? My linguistic ability doesn't stretch that far. I shall have to ask my aforementioned polyglot woofter chum next time I see him!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I am certainly in favour of calling people bastards or whatever if that`s (especially) from direct evidence of how they behave, but  the moment you ascribe a "group" or generic / genetic trait to the abuse (black or bald or whatever), it takes on a different, more offensive meaning which appeals to the human brain`s suicidal  tendency to subsconciously "label" everything we see and then associate it with other unpleasant images. (look at her she`s got a black cat : Witch! Witch! Burn her ! - how far have we left those times of just 5 generations behind ?)

Its deeply obvious to say that there are good and bad in any arbitrary group you want to name-which is a good reason to leave behind the labelling individuals with a "group" appendage that serves to stereotype and dehumanise particularly for those whose emotional makeup leaves them susceptible to enjoying that "labelling" process as it lets them temporarily forget their own insecurities.

With Clarkson its more complex because this is a casual  rhyme from a different time (bit of rap there) the  Mirror are out to get him anyway-they have their own agenda-and his unaired "gaffe" is wholly characteristic of the man who thrives on saying "outrageous" things to get attention and /or (as here) having that public-school insouciance that makes the feelings of others just not matter very much. However the ritual condemnation we see arising from a species of political correctness (ie. don`t actually do anything about a problem , just tell people not to use certain words-is in itself  inadequate, but that`s not really for this thread).          

Guest Mutley00

Storm in a teacup.

However if he'd have said the word 'Jehovah' I'd have insisted he be stoned. Oh no, I've said it now......! 

• 4 months later...

The show could do with a bit of something new, but I'd hate to see any of the three guys leave.

Try watching Top Gear US, and you'll see how hard that kind of chemistry is to come by! 

Clarkson is a trained journalist, he is smarter than people like to think. I also thought that he owns the Top Gear setup?

Evans is a TV presenter. and no fool, but for gods sake don't let TG become a version of the one show, the only redeeming part of that is the welsh bint.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I've no idea who he is SV, I'll go google him and watch one of his vids if I can find one.

He's the singer with AC/DC, his show's called 'Cars that Rock'! 

One of the best shows I've ever seen, he just oozes enthusiasm, comes over as a really nice chap too, no airs and graces, just a true petrol head. He interviews, or rather engages with people really well too, a real natural.  

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

• Gold FFM

I'd settle for any of the above named as presenters but the whole Top Gear show needs new ideas and a shake up. The same format with new presenters would die on it's arse but with new blood and new ideas I'd happily take as a Clarkson alternative.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

It's a tough one to shake up for the best though isn't it.

I mean, it's gone far past a car review show and is very much now a light entertainment program.

Some of the adventures they do are still epic to watch. The stig introductions though have gone a little too far past long in the tooth funny...

Chunky Lover

• Gold FFM

Yeah largely agree, but items like rugby or football with cars, that's not entertainment just utter dross. The foreign trips or the car v plane type races are great or even each go spend £5k on a car ect ect, keep. It needs to be kept as an entertainment show as well to appeal to the masses but even the BBC are running out of ideas for it - ie, The series's run to a maxImum of about 6 episodes nowadays.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!