Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Didn't take long - Olympics 2012 thread - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Didn't take long - Olympics 2012 thread

mayevora

• Gold FFM

Somebody 'on the make' for a quick buck again. (probably) :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-2012-Olympic-Torch-/270981379377?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item3f17bfb531#ht_500wt_922

Not got any problem if this individual wants to sell and donate all proceeds to a very worthwhile charity. I dont know if it just my thinking, but to gain financially and to this amount (£150000!!!!! so far) out of the honour of carrying this, to me seems particularly selfish. If this individual is selling this on so quickly just for financial reward, the act of carrying it obviously meant very little to them.

Poor show.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the 8000 torch bearers would each be given the opportunity to buy their torch for around £250

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nobody would pay that kind of money for an Olympic torch ( surely ) . I reckon others feel as you do and have just put bids in without any intention of ever paying up.

Too many Toys are never enough !

It would want to have been carried by Harold Abrahams for that sort of money. :shock:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Looks like another eBay pisstake...fake bids being used. In this case, possibly as a way of indicating people's feelings about selling the torch on....to give the seller their due, bids did start at £200.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

I took this pic today as I peered through the window of a support vehicle as it passed. Few £'s worth there then.

photo-168.jpg

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

It's been removed ?

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

I just went there as well Cliff and noticed that. There is pages of ads that come up and even some of them, you can't get to the second page of the ad.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

That one has been removed but I see others now on there as well - even from people who have not run yet, but selling in advance! Hope the organisers see this and substitute them before they run.

Makes me wonder if they are genuine ads or scams guess the next couple of days might tell the story .

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Another pic I took today. Anybody recognise the guys in white? (from the music world)

photo-169.jpg

BBC's picked up on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18142358

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

She was on BBC breakfast.

They also had a auctioneer/valuer who said that he would not value them more than £1500 - £2000. There were only around 1200 1948 torches and one recently went for around £3000.

She couldn't confirm whether the bid was genuine!!

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

• Gold FFM

I picked up from the article that the proceeds were to go to a charity, so from that point of view, good on her. Whether the bid is legit is another matter.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Another pic I took today. Anybody recognise the guys in white? (from the music world)

photo-169.jpg

Muse.

Don't see an issue with people selling the torches everyone else on the Olympic gravy train has lined there pockets and the money in that one case went to charity. The torch relay is a complete load of B0ll0cks, the torch procession was only introduced for the 1936 games, under the influence of the Nazi's. It went out today so they lit a new one from the "back up", it's like Triggers old broom. Nice jolly for the Police mind.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Don't see an issue with people selling the torches everyone else on the Olympic gravy train has lined there pockets

Does that make it OK then? If that's what you genuinely believe and how you genuinely feel, thats your opinion, your entitled to it, and your fully entitled to post it mate - Just didn't put you in that camp.

Like I said previously, if it's all for Charity, for selling on, then well done them. If its for personal gain, then ethically/morally, and especially for those quoted amounts, real or not, and although perfectly legal, that's a different matter, with the obvious exceptions like the blind chap running or the Royal Marine who lost 3 limbs, who's financial needs justifiably could warrant financial gains to improved lifestyles

Nazi's lol! - Crickey Chris, you've now got me regreting buying that VW Beatle I bought years ago! :D

Your missing the point re the Torch mate. Yeah it is a load of Bollocks, but it's a load of bollocks in nothing more than a fun way of trying to unite the Country to make them feel part of, or at the very least understand what the Olympics is about especially in an education capacity, not for us old gits, but for kids who haven't got the foggiest what it's all about, past, present or future. Both my kids were asking questions I wouldn't normally expect and to get them at all interested in any form of sport was, from my point of view, a successful event in itself. I don't know a single person who got granted tickets for any events at all so I guess this is the organisers token gesture of saying, if you can't come to the Olympics, then the Olympics will come to you. The atmosphere and build up was superb. My original thought of, well I can stay at home and light a swan vesta if I want to see naked flame, changed with the unexpected bit of the party feel/mood within the thousands. Can recommend to anybody if you get the chance, but be prepared to get there early and be ready for the wait.

Police Jolly. Yep, your probably right there, but again nice to see them having a bit of a smile on their faces, and a good bit of fun and interaction with the crowds as well.

Muse. Correct for 2 points.

Personally don't give a fig for the whole Olympics, Most of the so called winners are exposed as cheats a few years down the line, They even fiddle it so ex drugs cheats can compete again.

The Nazi reference, was in response to the way the torch relay is portrayed as being an ancient example of the Olympics, it was introduced by Carl Diem under the "influence" of his Nazi paymasters.

As for uniting the country, a decent education system and a reinsertion of morals and law and order would do that far better than this clown camp.

The Olympics is only about one thing MONEY. How the hell is morally/ethically unfair to sell the torch on? You can't take certain things into the Olympics if it's not the sponsors brand that is more corrupt.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I don't know a single person who got granted tickets for any events at all so I guess this is the organisers token gesture of saying, if you can't come to the Olympics,

Yes you do Ian :whistle:

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

• Gold FFM

Yes you do Ian :whistle:

Dave - you lucky bar steward! How did that happen? I am now assuming that you have an un-named contact on the inside within this corrupt Corporate Olympic Organisation. After all said and done, Chris actually could be correct - Who did you pay off and did it involve brown paper bags with crisp non sequential 20's? Nuff said! lol ;)

What are you seeing then Dave? Just a bit jealous this end!

We applied for athletics, cycling and basketball. We got basketball and athletics - not a bad percentage. One on Friday 3rd August and the other on Sunday 5th August.

Just got to sort out accommodation now!

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

• Gold FFM

Awesome indeed. Good on ya mate! Is that in date/event order?

5th August is Mens 100M final.

Accommodation - Nasty. I'd set off walking about now Dave. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Good. But probably a bit irrelevant as not many being sold for over the CGT threshold figure. They'll now probably keep them a year or two and then do a tax avoiding top-slicing exercise lol.

• 1 month later...

The title of this thread is even more appropriate knowing the HMRC want their slice :lol:

http://www.telegraph...rchbearers.html

That's rich coming from the HMRC. How about their sweetheart deal with Vodafone, letting them off many £bn..... Or BT... or many others....

Makes a few bob from these torch sales pale into insignificance