Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Giugiaro original equipment stereos/speakers thread - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Giugiaro original equipment stereos/speakers thread

After more research and suggestions that we should begin a thread devoted to original equipment that may have been delivered with our cars, here it is. Some cars may still have there's in tact, others may be trying to return theirs to stock.

Below is what I now believe my 1983 car should have and have been able to track down head unit and now speaker grilles from German eBay that will now return to the car. Now to find the speakers themselves which I am sure will only be a matter of time. ALternatively, can newer Blaupunkt speakers be mounted underneath these grilles? Interestingly my car has no dash speakers. Note that a lot of these models were used for a few years. The page of the catalogue is from '81/82 but the same units appear in the '83 version.

Please post what is in your car or any other information you can find on the topic.

My car is 1983 UK delivered Esprit Turbo:

Blaupunkt Bremen/Toronto SQR 32/34

Blaupunkt 25 Watt speakers

securedownloadbg.jpg

securedownloadvv.jpg

securedownloadmp.png

securedownloadusk.jpg

Edited by Lex Templar

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yep. Those are the grilles and speakers I have - dash and bulkhead.

My bulkhead speakers had totally perished but the dash ones still great. Sound much better

and clearer than the replacements I got for the back. I may still try and find some more Blaupunkts.

Stereo long gone.

1986 NA S3 UK spec.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Yes, the speakers screw onto the bulkhead directly but the grilles sit ontop of carpet and insulation. They also attach differently - rotated by 90 degrees.

so, provided the same diameter speakers are used, the fit is not an issue. You would need to avoid ones with very deep full range cone in the centre though.

Yes, the speakers screw onto the bulkhead directly but the grilles sit ontop of carpet and insulation. They also attach differently - rotated by 90 degrees.

so, provided the same diameter speakers are used, the fit is not an issue. You would need to avoid ones with very deep full range cone in the centre though.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Thanks slewthy, what size speakers are in the bulkhead? Also plenty of these blaupunkt head units showing up on eBay.de. Search for blaupunkt SQR and a host of similar units always seem to be a available.

Edited by Lex Templar

The Esprit has landed in Australia, as well as certificate from Lotus. My car was factory fitted with a Sparkomatic stereo. In fact it was the only white/red fitted with one that year. The sparkomatic will be difficult to find I imagine however the search begins.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what is installed in my US spec 1987:

DSCN1260.jpg

As far as I can see, I have the same blaupunkt speakers in the bulkhead but eurospec in the dash.

Hope more people will hop in and it end up as a kind of database.

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

I have a Panasonic roof console radio that needs total restoration. I can't wait to get it going. I always wanted a cassette player on the roof of my car!!!! :stuart:

Also have a Blaupunkt as fitted as standard equipment to Federal S1s, and photocopy of owner's manual.

Will have to take some pictures . . .

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Hi all

My S3 Turbo originally had the Motorola ‘Lotus’ radio. Lotus part number A089M6027F Apparently it was also availiable in excels. Looking for one.

Can anyone help in any way.

Much appreciated

Phil

• 1 month later...

On my '86 I've got these 4" 25watt Blaupunkt

IMG_7682.jpg

...and these 15watt on the dash

IMG_7680.jpg

feeding off this Montreal head unit

IMG_7683.jpg

All very dated now of course but seemed pretty good when I first got it 22 years ago!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

That's great then. I now have a NOS 4" det of Sparkomatic speakers and a NOS Sparkomatic head unit ready to go in the car, both found on ebay USA. I have no way of knowing what model speakers Sparkomatic used in the Esprits but I imagine there could not have been many variants in the 4" size and the speaker grills look very neat on these sK400s.

My dash speakers are under the perforrated dash with no covers. Does does anyone else have the same set-up? Most dash speakers I have seen have been like Mike's above. Thankfully they have been left alone in their 30 years and the dash is still in tact.

sparkomaticspkrshdr1.jpg

t2ec16jhjf0e9nmfqhddbqf.jpg

kgrhqzoez8otswwbp0hut7m.jpg

Edited by Lex Templar

BTW my Blaupunkt rear grilles (just like the one in Mike's picture) are now available. They're in great shape. Anybody who wants them PM me.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

• 1 year later...

OMG!

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

That's unbelievable.  Try a BMW scrapyard.  I am sure all these Blaupunkt versions were very common place on BMW.

I posted earlier about my radio being a Motorola "Lotus" radio.  Neither Motorola or Lotus could help me.  Not even a picture.

However I have found one although not yet fitted.  Paid £25.

Can post a picture if anyone is interested

That's unbelievable.  Try a BMW scrapyard.  I am sure all these Blaupunkt versions were very common place on BMW.

I posted earlier about my radio being a Motorola "Lotus" radio.  Neither Motorola or Lotus could help me.  Not even a picture.

However I have found one although not yet fitted.  Paid £25.

Can post a picture if anyone is interested

Yes please :-)

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

On my '83 NA I have speakers in the doors with perforated leather instead of grilles. How  should the speakers be attached to the doors as the rubbish bits of mecano currently used will never give a good enough anchor to sound at all good.

RLC

Pictures of my radio.  Motorola "Lotus" radio

Has the original label on the top with the correct Lotus part number

• Like 1