Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit GT3, tail or no tail ? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit GT3, tail or no tail ?

Hi

When I bought the car I thought the spoiler looked great. Now, after a short while and seeing some pictures of it without...... i'm not so sure.

The questions is, should I keep it or should it go ?

If it goes, how easy is it to disguise the fitting holes. I assume it has four bolts.post-14579-0-10603700-1339399568.jpgpost-14579-0-42871000-1339399723.jpg

I assume some grommets would have to cover the holes.

Any advice

Erik

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Take it off! I did, and the car looks far cleaner without it. I plugged the holes with nylon number plate fixings because mine's yellow and they matched. If you have a high-level brake light then it'll be 5 holes.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I vote to keep it as I think they look better with, also why go to the trouble when you'll be left with holes you'll never be able to properly hide. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

Sorry but this is where it belongs

skip.jpg

The V8 wing is just too big for the delicate shape of the GT3 without the wheel arch blisters, massive wheels and exhausts of the bigger engined car. Plonked on the arse of a little 4 pot it just looks like it's doing a wheelie.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Gold FFM

I've never been a fan of that style wing. I like the SE wing and am also a bit partial to the S4 wing. (Actually I think it's the gorgeousorest one :wub: )

I suppose what I'm saying is bin it as well.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Wow, strong feelings.

I think my only reservation is what to do with the holes then ?

Some sort of water feature ? :thumbsup:

If the holes can be tastefully sorted (with limited skill!) , I think this is the way to go.

Edited by Whirlybird

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

• Gold FFM

Get some of these and tie them into the holes. Awesome!

funny-car-fake-missiles.jpg

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Lose the wing. It's silly and doesn't work with narrow body car as someone said above.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Yeah, sorry but I thought it was the gorgeous S4s wing so I agree it's too big & if you don't want to replace it with the gorgeous one then bin it.

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

Was it Tiegan who actually said the wing would perform better if it was on the roof? You could move it there?

Nah. Don't do that. The guy was a pillock. :hrhr:

Thanks Alex

I think the grommets look better than the wing, may stand out a bit more on the orange though !

Erik

Remove it. the only wing that looks any good on a GT3 is the S300/S4s wing I have on my early car. As other have said the V8 wing just looks too big. However if you are determined to keep the car 100% original as it left the factory worth checking if the wing was ordered with the car from new.

• Gold FFM

You have to be able to get access to the underside of the tailgate to get to the bolts, put duct tap or similar over the holes from the underside, mix up some fibreglass gel, fill the holes with it, then touch it up with the orange afterward?

Good call Adrian

I know it was added recently, but not sure if it had one to start.

Is it possible to find out ? If so How ?

Thanks

I saw the car advertised as a one owner vehicle at HR Owen about 12 years ago and it had it then. Even if someone specced the wing from new it doesn't really matter about a "numbers matching", we don't own Ferrari 250 GTOs. Just as long as you put a jigsaw through it so it can't infect another car :devil:

IMHO the black plugs are less obtrusive than trying to paint or mask the resultant holes. Someone paid a LOT of money to respray the tailgate of mine when the wing was removed and you can still see the filler sinks and puddled paint. Chrome Orange is a b'stard to match (ask Adrian)

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

IMHO you must keep it! It's part of the beauty of the car. A little big for some I guess, but for me it just makes the profile.

I would more concerned with removing the graphics at the bottom. :) (so you can use that to gauge my taste level).

Either way beautiful car, simply love the color.

If you contact the archive at the factory for about £25 they will do you a heritage certificate which will detail when the car was built and what options were ordered. They will also try and find out any info they have on the car post build. They are really helpful and a great source of info.

Chrome Orange is a b'stard to match (ask Adrian)

Oh yes sir it is. I had the front of my car sprayed a few years ago and it took them 3 attempts to get it right finally mixing by eye, as the B25 paint they got was a shade too dark. Other thing with Chrome Orange is it's a 3 stage paint, base orange, flake, then laquer.

Edited by gasmangt3

I have a S300 wing on my carbed turbo, but on the GT3 I think it should go, they look good without a wing.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"