Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus - Future cars? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus - Future cars?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we didn't know where Lotus stood now from the recent updates, I think we do now.

I must say I liked the Bahar plan, and the cars, but its a shame it was done in such a gung-ho fashion. If the finances are as dire as we are led to believe I think the annoucements of late have been solid and encouraging and its maybe no surprise such ambition has been halted.

I am just glad it looks as though the Esprit got far enough down the line not to be cancelled - that would have been really bad.

So, being relaistic rules at Lotus at the present. Good thing too. There has been far too much pie-in-the-sky during the Bahar times.

No point in publicising cars that won't be built. Just show cars that are about to be released or are actually available to buy/order.

Esprit? We aren't going to see that I guess for at least a year - so let them tell us when it is ready and not have everyone speculating and second guessing.

As I said being sensible and realistic rules at Lotus now - so good luck to them and let's hope for a more reasoned future.

I wouldn't worry that its gone from the website, makes sense to focus on what you can sell. However, it would really be a bad signal if the do cancel the Esprit. But then, that would mean drowning a few 100 million pounds!

At least the GTE is still on - does that quench the rumours of its cancellation?

BTW: You can still confgure he future cars!

Edited by TBD

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• Gold FFM

http://www.lotuscars.com.au/

The GTE was on here only an hour ago when I looked. It's not there now. :(

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Without the new cars Lotus won't have anything they can sell in the US other than stickers and tee shirts. So it's either off to Beijing or flounder along for a few more years before being piecemealed off by DRB. Sad, very sad ...

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

The GTE is very much in evidence on the main site. With the clear out of future cars as well as the management pages one would have expected the GTE to have disappeared if they have no intention of producing it. Given that the development and homologation is almost complete - witness the motoring press test drives, not least Top Gear's which was very complementary - and a few hundred orders in the pipeline, they would be daft not to build them. I assume @ £120k ish there is a significant margin in there. And Lotus does need the money....

Speaking of the management pages, why no Aslam F profile. Is his approach that low key he doesn't even want to appear on the website?

Was the Exige S Roaster on there before? I don't remember. The GTE is now very prominen on dispay, so that would be a confirmation!

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Actually I think it is positive that there is an update to the website putting the current range (including the GTE and Exige S Roadster) in focus. DRB have confirmed the Esprit, so I wouldn't worry about this.

what really p**sses me of is the way they are doing it. Why not make some clear statements about what you're doing? This thread is the best evidence that what Lotus is doing currently is the best way to destroy trust in the company.

Edited by TBD

No real surprise TBH. Lets hope that now that interest in Lotus is higher than before that current models will sell enough enabling any future cars to be put into production - especially the Esprit!!!

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

The article has been updated.

As part of a number of recent changes to the Group Lotus website the 'Future Cars' section has been removed. The website now only list currently available cars; Exige, Evora and Elise along with the a link to the Evora/Exige derived race cars and Evora GTE/Mansory concept cars. The 'Management' pages have also been updated with various senior members of staff no longer listed.

This follows news yesterday that the company have pulled out of the Paris motorshow in order to re-focus.

The Lotus Forums understands the pictures have been removed from the website to wipe the slate clean for when new COO Aslam Farrikulah announces his vision for the company. Insiders say he has been meeting with senior personnel before formulating a plan, which is nearing completion. The company should be ready to unveil their vision in a matter of days, rather than weeks.

Those in the know sense the new Lotus boss will be taking the company back to its roots and focusing on engineering, but we will have to wait and see. Watch this space!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Well if there's a new plan and that new plan maintains a nucleus of cars at least we'll still have that.

I wonder where the company will go could they just refocus on engineering and let the current range of cars die a slow death?

As for the DB's grand plan, it will remain as one of the biggest let down in recent car history!

Without the new cars Lotus won't have anything they can sell in the US other than stickers and tee shirts. So it's either off to Beijing or flounder along for a few more years before being piecemealed off by DRB. Sad, very sad ...

You are exactly right FMXA!

The guys I have spoken with said they had been told to stop showing things they couldn't yet sell. Makes perfect sense. The Esprit is still in development for a 2014 launch and is further down the line than most people think.

If they are clever and using Reverse Phsychology then i would like to see the plan .

In terms of marketing ,pulling the cars is pulling the plug !!

And if Aslam had /has something up his sleeve ,best he play that ace quickly ........Without progression ,the aspirations are limited.

So you bring an Evora GTE great ........and then what ,can you trade up with an Exige s or a GTE ...not now

Or so we are led to believe.

Aslam ....i think be quick or your name will be remembered for a very long time .....not the way you want it to be !

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

There seems to be a steady stream of good news, grounded in the facts, coming out of the new management team and by all accounts Aslam is pretty much grounded in the reality of Lotus' situation. He seems to be backing a number of things DB initiated whilst scaling back the plans to something more achievable on the limited funds available. And a return to Lotus' engineering roots is positive.

This is quite an upbeat piece on the official opening of the Regent Street store -

http://www.edp24.co....visit_1_1451190

Maybe Cable will release the £10m Regional Development Funding if Aslam delivers a credible plan, which sounds like its not far away. As always, fingers crossed.

Mark

I genuinely love your glass is 'half full' enthusiasm. I've no idea how things will pan out and let's be honest it's been easy to knock Lotus after all that's gone on but, to your credit, you've remained hugely positive and supportive throughout. :respect:

The Paris cars were concept cars & there's only so long you want to keep publicising them on the website, especially if the plans change. The world is a very different place to where it was 2 years ago and Lotus now have different owners and a lot of partners it needs to rebuild trust.

In the meantime some of the niche's look less attractive than they had done. Aston have had to move the Rapide production back to the UK & I'm not sure it is quite the sales success than it was expected to be (my dealer says it's 25% of worldwide sales but he's trying to sell me one of his stock). Hence I'm not sure the Eterne isn't a bit too much of a stretch of the brand at this stage.

The Elite, possibly the car I liked the most, was obviously designed to be Lotus's California, a car which has been a big sales success for Ferrari.

I think we're all going to be surprised if the Esprit doesn't come about. If I was in the planning department I'd be thinking that an Elan-type car should be earlier. The poor Evora had a tough start in life; badly positioned in early marketing and lacking in original quality. I love the car but I think in the general car-enthusiast's mind it's tarnished.

For me a range of mid-engined cars from Esprit - Elise makes sense from a marketing perspective. It makes Lotus easy to understand. It's too early to stretch the brand.

(Wouldn't surprise me if Engineering wasn't given a boost. DRB being a one-stop-shop to help engineer then build cars for other manufacturers seems to make a lot of sense).

As for the website, I thought that they had an engineering centre outside Stuttgart, but there's nothing on the new site.

The problem is that the Elise and Exige are just not available on a key market which was/is still the biggest market of Lotus...

They really need to sell hard in China and Europe to compensate for it!

As for the website, I thought that they had an engineering centre outside Stuttgart, but there's nothing on the new site.

Over there is HWA AG they were contacted to deliver new V8 engine i believe that idea is scrapped now . This "engineering centre" was another "marketing lie" along many other...