Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
From S3 Turbo look a like back to a S2 - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

From S3 Turbo look a like back to a S2

Back to engine mounts.. I´ve installed them many different ways and the engine still sits too high. My engine mount bushings do not have the locating tabs. Before starting to drill them I would like to know have I positined the bushings correctly. Can anyone help?

post-6471-0-07613400-1396779007.jpg

post-6471-0-75360700-1396779022.jpg

post-6471-0-35829800-1396779036.jpg

post-6471-0-94382100-1396779046.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pretty much ready to slash my wrists.. Got the mounts fixed. The number 3 manifold still doesn´t fit!!!! F***, **"#?/%%&%&/&%¤&¤&%!!!!!!

Measured the engine height and now the engine oil pan is 15 mm instead of the 22 mm from the reference level. Mike says it should be 10mm.

Just cracked open the Scotch...

post-6471-0-70686100-1396793497.jpg

Edited by Finlandese

Progress!

I did an unconventional solution to the proble, and there is a distinct possibility that I can get the exhaust to fit. I do have question again, though. Hope I get a better response than the last time. Can you adjust the engine location longitudinally? It would help, if could get a bit forward.. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you can move the engine 1/2"-1.5" ahead.. but it would be unbelievably difficult.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 6 months later...

Managed to get something done for a change. The gear selector rod has been rehaped to clear both the engine and the new exhaust. The exhaus fits (finally), and need only the springs and the muffler tightening.

post-6471-0-26992300-1414181371.jpg

That looks complex with it running outside the chassis and in the suspension area. My hc na alunox system all goes inside the chassis following the normal route for my 88 car. No wonder it was tricky for you to fit. Does the factory system on early cars go in the suspension area?

Yes that does look complicated. The original and SJ SS manifold fit inside the chassis bars and then comes up and around the outside of the rear spring.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

The gear selector rod has been rehaped to clear both the engine and the new exhaust. 

Probably why S3 cars had the rod running on the intake side, might have been easier to convert to the later system.  :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Long break, as wife and I decided to have an amicable divorce at 2015. This led to a little project called "renovating a house made in 1949". This combined with a little side project (1974 Alfa Spider), meant no time for Esprit. Now the plan is to start cracking again, with the target of being finished by the summer. 

good luck with the esprit, be careful for a little project called "new girlfriend"  as it is a known to take away all resources (money and time) :lol:

love the exhaust btw,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27 December 2017 at 08:22, johnpwalsh said:

Change them out for stainless steel while you have the chance.

Absolutely. I replaced a lot with stainless. Will pay in the future

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Mike and Scott.

A productive day for a change. Installed the brake booster, clutch master cylinder, and the heater. Managed to remove the handbrake cables. That was a bit tricker than I thought. Had to move the fuel tank a bit to get them off! Finished the day with some plastic padding to smooth the bit bitween the windshield and the dash. I blocked the heater vent and instrument holes earlier, now I have to mirror image them to the opposite sides.

Tomorrow is just some sanding with Esprit, and off to another side project (yet another Alfa Spider)... Some people never learn! :-D

Edited by Finlandese

6 hours ago, Finlandese said:

Thank you, Mike and Scott.

A productive day for a change. Installed the brake booster, clutch master cylinder, and the heater. Managed to remove the handbrake cables. That was a bit tricker than I thought. Had to move the fuel tank a bit to get them off! Finished the day with some plastic padding to smooth the bit bitween the windshield and the dash. I blocked the heater vent and instrument holes earlier, now I have to mirror image them to the opposite sides.

Tomorrow is just some sanding with Esprit, and off to another side project (yet another Alfa Spider)... Some people never learn! :-D

Any pics?

1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

I think plated bolts are better than stainless. Stainless doesnt corrode but they do bind like a bitch and usually need to be drilled out. My car was standing for 15 years and all the bolts were rusty but were easy to remove. The number of stainless bolts I have to drill out for people. 

buddsy

Just about every plated bolt on my car was rusted to absolute buggery and very difficult to remove, a lot had to be drilled out. This annoyed me so much that I have now replaced everything with titanium. According to what I've read greasing with a good quality molybdenum disulfide should prevent any galling issues.

• Like 1