Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Battery connected up incorrectly - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Battery connected up incorrectly

I thought about naming the title 'what an idiot'. Not me, customer of a friend, has accidently wired up the battery the wrong way round on his 1998 Esprt GT3. Now it doesn't start. Any idea on what might have stopped working, what needs replacing, where to start.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd certainly check all the fuses first, particularly the ignition and ECM fuses in the rear and hope he got lucky. If not that, it probably fried the ECM.

1995 S4s

• Gold FFM

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Check the relays and large fuses I had this on a Honda, the large fuse blew first saving the ECU. I had to get an auto electrician to check it out. took him about 5 minutes.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi thanks everyone. Will keep the ECU spares in mind, and yes it is a Silver GT3, in V8 body kit. With twin x2 tail pipes. 1998 car with latest dash cluster. Is the car familiar to anyone? I tried the download, to post images, but it failed.

Cheers

Okay done the photobucket way. See here the cars. SE Turbo, the ex-Bibs machine, and the sad not going GT3 in V8 kit. From what my mate saw as he is a professional body repair/sprayer, this GT3 was built with V8 body kit from day 1.

http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/eddieboote/

Trevor,

Seen my mate tonight. Starter motor turns, He can smell fuel. He's had a quick check of relays and fuses, although not sure if he's really been thorough enough. He's saying it's the ECU that's gone. I must admit it can be easy just to say that. I've checked it wasn't a silly like forgot to link up the imobilizer key to the slot near where the key goes. Starter wouldn't turn anyway, and it does. I'll try and spend an afternoon when I have time and see with him. Just to know though, what are we talking for a replacement ECU? Would it need complete programming to suit GT3, and this very car, re imobilizer? Might be barking up the wrong tree, but could we just take out the ECU from either of the SE Turbos (Bibs old motor) or my mates, plonk in the GT3, and see? Don't want to see something else buggered up. Just a thought though.

I have base ECU's if he gets stuck.

Trevor.

I would have thought that you could take the ecu from Bibs old car and swap the chip out of the GT3 into it. Try that first. If it goes then yup know it's the ecu for sure.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

... Would it need complete programming to suit GT3, and this very car, re imobilizer? Might be barking up the wrong tree, but could we just take out the ECU from either of the SE Turbos (Bibs old motor) or my mates, plonk in the GT3, and see? ...

The ECU's are the same, when you remove the ECU you will see a flap which houses the memcal. This is the part you need to swap over as this is model dependant. I would hope the memcal is OK. If you try the GT3 ECU in your SE and visa versa.

I remember seeing your friends GT3 in the Lotus service department at Hethel back in 2006.

Memcal

memcal1.jpg

Memcal in ECU

post-1877-0-53432800-1344330472.jpg

Edited by internets

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

• 4 weeks later...