Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Horn and horseshoes pub meet - UK - Bucks/Essex/Herts/Cambs Group - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Horn and horseshoes pub meet

Well Christmas is over and we are already in the second week of Jan. pub meet for beer and food is this Thursday, I will be there from 7.30 ish.

Look forward to seeing you there

Happy new year, Dave

See Calender for details.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should be there for the first time - so long as it isn't snowing or Icy

Chris

I may come along as my dancing shoes are taking a rest this week

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

It's ok Pete I won't wear the chain of office and you don't need to address me as Sir.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Jeez Dave, there's no point having her look classy if she can't go anywhere!  Buy some real wheels and drive the bloody thing.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

These are new real wheels, same size and offset as before, OZ Allegrettas, one piece, and new tyres, but the car wanders badly, almost undriveable. So on Monday it's back to the suppliers to find out why. Thinking aloud, I can understand greater offset would exaggerate any wear in the steering and show up as wander, but the offset is slightly less than the old chrome wheels. Assuming nothing has change in the suspension the only other change is the style of wheel, ie the point at which the load on the wheel is transferred to the rim. There is little or no dish on the front, ie the load goes to the outside of the rim, effectively changing the apparent offset. Perhaps I will put this up as a new thread. Gary, any thoughts oh great one, Dave

Dave,

My opinion. The offset is fixed and i can't see that the different style of wheel would have a different offset effect. In my experience however when changeing a style of wheel from one with a dish to more of a flat face means the balance of weight is moved to the outside of the wheel therefore altering the feel through the steering and suspension. Perhaps this is what you are experiencing?

If Lorraine is not out on Thursday I'll come along for about 8pm.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Bibs, the latest Goodyear F 1 acymtric tyre is fitted.. Had a good look under the front this pm, all bushes are new, nuts tight, no apparent play in the rack, roll bar bushes are new. Threads on each track rod end are equal and tight. I need to drive or feel the play in another esprit to see if there is any difference. Tyres have only done 50. Miles or so, not bedded in yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Dave

Trevor, be good to see you if you can make it. If Martyn brings his Esprit I can check the play in the steering. Cheers

• Gold FFM

Like Trev, can't see it'd make that much difference.  When was geometry last done?  You got adjustable top links on the back?  And is it really, really bad, or just tramlining/bump steering?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Geo done (full) rear toe and camber within spec, yes adjustable top links. Not check tyre pressures, when I was on full chat overtaking and hit the crown of the road the car jumped around 2feet either side of the centre of the road. Going out again tomorrow to retrace journey and make closer observations.. I have, just remembered, softened the front suspension, only 2 clicks, so I am going to put this back where it was, Gould only ever make one change at a time.. Dave

I just had a thought, not that it should make a difference at low speeds, the front splitter was giving lift, it pointing upwards, now it's about 3 degrees down.

Front geo is spot on.

Also the toe in on the rear is 1.5 degrees, could not get it to zero as the swing arm bolts were not long enough

Dave - I use photobucket to store pictures.

Upload to there, and then use the Image button on the editor toolbar to enter the location.

Chris

What spec was the geo done to? You're on non-standard wheels and ride height so an SE geo setting will be way out. An esprit with similar size wheels would be a good starting point, mine was set up eventually like an S4s.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Std SE spec, but set for fast road, the guys that set it up also did Trevor's car. Hi Felix, nice to hear from you, how are you settling in, hope all is well with your family. Is it nice to be back in cold. Dave

I'll dig out the setting report tomorrow and post up the data.

SE spec will be set for 15 & 16 inch wheels so your will be way out... I'd guess that moving to a spec closer to your wheel size will help enormously...

This is what Travis used on his SE with V8 AWI monoblocs (17" front, 18" rear)

For the V8 FRONT

Camber - 0.25”; f 0.25” (- O”15’; f 15’)
within 0.2” (0’12’) side to side

Castor + 3.2”; +/- 0.2” (+ 3°12’; +/- 12’)
within 0.2” (0°12’) side to side

Toe 1.5 mm toe out overall; +/- 0.5 mm
(0.2° toe out overall; +/- 0.07”)
(0°12’ toe out overall; +/- 4’)

For the V8 REAR

Camber - 1.5”; +/- 0.25” (- 1°30’; +/- 15’)
within 0.2° (0°12’) side to side

1.0 mm toe in each side; - 0, + 0.3 mm
(0.13” toe in each side; - 0, + 0.04”)
(0°8’ toe in each side; - 0, + 2’)
within 0.2 mm (0.1°)(0°4’) side to side

from here - http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/47517-suspension-help-for-2002-esprit/#entry387201

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.