Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Elite and Eclat Register - Page 4 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Elite and Eclat Register

Dunc

• 2 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Dunc

Is this register still live? 

Where can it be viewed. Pretty sure I gave you details for my car a couple of years ago, but interested to see fuller picture. 

Tony

• 1 month later...

Good day to everyone. I am a new owner of a 1978 Eclat. The car was on Bring a Trailer about three years ago and I just purchased it from the gentleman who won the auction. The bumpers have lost their exterior molding. Thinking of redoing them with a Rinoliner type product as used in truck beds. Anyone try this? 

EA34CA46-6178-455E-8E5F-A03038C62F4B.jpeg

• Like 2

Beautiful-looking car Mark 😎.  Do you have to retain the "federal" bumpers over there?  Could you just replace them with UK-spec items?  Maybe use the original to create a mould to have a new one made in fibreglass.

Pete

It isn’t required that we have to maintain the Federal spec bumpers. My first intention was to source euro bumpers from Lotusbits. Looks like for now I will see how the truck liner method will look. There are a number of different finishes and I think I can just tidy it up. 

Otherwise the car is quite stunning. The previous owner maintained a meticulous log of all the work done. I feel really lucky that I found one in such condition as most of these models died horrible deaths here in the states.

When making "bucks" to make fibreglass moulds I've used a product called "Pattern Coat" from Easy Composites (something similar will be available over there).  It's available as a "primer" and "High Gloss".  It's basically an easy-sanding resin system for creating a really smooth, glossy surface on patterns - often made from polyurethane block - which looks similar to the front of your bumper?  Just a thought.  You could then paint it or just leave it polished.

I think the only problem with using the Rhino paint will be splits in it from any minor contact.  How hard is the material on the front of the bumper?

Pete

That sounds an excellent idea. What is present currently is the expose polyurethane material. My understanding with the Rhino liner is that it can be applied in varying thicknesses, perhaps thick enough to create a hardened layer. This is merely hypothetical at the moment, will know more after meeting with the providers.

Your solution is a much better permanent one. I would still like to have the look of the UK cars. I wonder if the material on this car could be cut down to a similar size. 

Mark

It appears that the hardened foam material is simply bonded on top of the molded end. The turn signal indicators are recessed into the molding and the foam extends from there creating a 4 1/2” deep recess. The only way you can see the indicators working is from straight on! I now am thinking that I may try to remove the foam material and refinish the molding. It looks to be very similar to the UK size bumper, especially in the rear, with the shape modified to fit US style license plates. 

I recall seeing an Elite Riviera here a couple of years ago at the English car meet we have each September. I have reached out to the local club to see if they have contact info as I don’t see the car listed in the roster. It would be nice to see another example. 

Removing the bonded-on foam sounds like a good plan!  You may even find that the fibreglass underneath is OK just to sand and paint.  Let us know how you get on.  If you need any photos of an original bumper mine is off the car up in the loft at the moment - wouldn't take long to get it down.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

It looks a bit slab-like as it doesn't have the aperture for airflow to the radiator like the "domestic" version.  You could fit a number plate to the front.   Does it have a "lip" spoiler at the bottom of the car as well?.  Does it cool OK?  It would be interesting to see a front photo from road level.  He's made a good job of it!

Pete

The temperature has been spot on, no issues there but I did notice that it is missing the lip spoiler below. Was that for airflow for cooling then? I assumed it was for aerodynamics. I have only had the car up to about 80mph so haven’t noticed any lift at speed. 

It helps guide air in towards the radiator.  The series 2 design is supposed to be more effective, but your car seems OK without either a lip spoiler or front "hole" in the bumper, so maybe people who have had problems with cooling in the past have had other unknown issues with the cooling system.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Just had new tyres fitted with the elusive V speed rating. 
I got them from Longstone tyres in the U.K. £82.97 Inc VAT

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/205-60-14/205-60r14-galaxy-formula-x.html

IMG_4909.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

New here 😊

Where can the register be viewed please?

Steve