Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Service time - oil, filter and Cambelt - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Service time - oil, filter and Cambelt

Hi folks, well it has been some time since the new engine went in, it's had 2 oil changes and now it could probably do with a Cambelt change, at our last meeting at the horn and horseshoes pub meet we thought it might be good to organise a Cambelt day, two of us need it to be done, thought it might be good to organise a day, say a Saturday, we could have a BBQ and or a good home cooked curry, and some whiskey.

Looking at doing this in late April, though also we would try to set up a live, watch from anywhere web cam link, all we need is someone who knows what they are doing, any one prepared to help, happy to pay someone to do the work just thought it would be good to try to do two cars, have some fun, let others see how it's done and have a good curry, it's been some time since I have organised any mechanical mayhem days at my house.

I have all the gear, a warm clean garage, compressed air and a four post lift to make life easy.

Anyone want to volunteer"...........

Who would be interested in attending, any welcome.

Best regards

Dave

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dave,

Mine is also due for a cambelt... I'm more than happy to lend a hand/tools etc...

May would be better for me with work etc

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Interesting.  internets & I have said we'll do ours side by side very soon.  What's the record for maximum number of belts in one location on one day?

I suggest we call it Beltfest 2013.  Wikkid!   :smoke:

Oh, and May for me too if poss.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

It's not the Krikit that's wrong matey!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I would be interested in watching how its done as its the one job that scares me a bit!!

• Gold FFM

Let's do it!  I reckon if we project plan it properly, everyone with set tasks, we could nail maybe 6 in a day.  Or more...

• Gold FFM

Can you get them for me Trev?  I'll give you £30 a piece.  Cheers.

looks like we are on for a cam belt extravagansa, whats the best time for everyone, is May better than April, sparky give me a call to discuss and we can set a date and plan which cars we do and how we use Martyn to set up the web cam etc, he's clever at that stuff, i am in all weekend.

Looking forward to this.................

Still have some of that fine whisky stuff, megans happy to do the Curry, the beers are chilling already.

best regards

Dave

We have a 6 berth campervan and 3 / 4 spare bedrooms, we could make a weekend of it, start early saturday finishing some time sunday.

BELTFEST 2013

Kind words Mr Sparky. The Krikit isnt really the correct instrument to use particularly as you can only use it to take a reading at the edge of the belt which is likely to give a reading on the higher side. 

However I appreciate Sparky can change belts with the lights out so would very much appreciate being able to check and adjust the tension on mine if there is time particularly as I think Dave has the Burroughs guage.

Dave - staying overnight sounds a good bet. Count me in for bringing some booze

• Gold FFM

Wooohooooo!  I'll be back with suggested dates...

"I think Dave has the Burroughs guage"   yes I do have it. Look forward to a discussion Mr Sparky, should be a hoot.

After a very spirited drive (race) in the sunshine today..................major issue with header (the stainless steel one) I have melted it, the bracket that holds the turbo has all but disappeared ( i can hear everyone saying, I told you so). see my new topic and pics, should be easy enouh to fix, famous last words.

Dave

Mike, a bedroom has your name on the door.

I think you'd be best to have a stainless steel plate made to go round the header , welt that to the header then the support to the plate.  I don't do welding, when I do, it looks like the chickens have had issues.

Don't use the Krikit or the Burroughs gauges...

cell phone acoustic frequency tensioning is much better wink.png

I use the app called "Speedy Spectrum" on my Android phone. Works great for finding the first fundamental frequency of the belt.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2nifoCpaFSfOGJkMjQxMDUtNzk1YS00YjEyLTgyZTAtYmI5NjE4MjgxMmRm&authkey=CO_S1NoE

Engine is cold and at 30deg before top dead center (30 BTDC).

Microphone is placed close to the belt, as close as possible. Reach around the front of the engine and strum the belt in the middle between the intake cam pulley and the oil pump pulley. Strum it like a guitar string, do not let the finger touch the belt after the strum, slip the thumb off quickly with one motion.

This is for cars with the round tooth HTD belts only.

Standard software settings, though make sure to turn on peak hold and enable peak hold overlay. you can zoom in on the screen near 100Hz, but I look at the peak hold number in the upper right of the screen.
speedyspectrum.jpg

30 BTDC
IMG_4855.JPG

Note CAM dots are slightly mis-aligned and not centered on the axis at 30BTDC
IMG_4856.JPG

Speedy Spectrum at 103Hz on my HTC EVO 3D Android phone
IMG_4859.JPG

Thumb technique
IMG_4861.JPG
IMG_4860.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

I hear ya, Travis.  About time I sorted this out.

Ok so thus far we have those who want to Watch, those who want to test and those who need a new belt.

Attending and or watching

1. Gary - Sparky    -                    Belt Change, Doing some of the work.

2. Dave Freeman   -                   Belt Change, Host, supplying curry, workshop. Food for Pete (does not eat curry)

3. Chris -                   Internets   Belt Change,

4. Paul Sparrow....Spadger27    Belt Change

5. Chris -               Red Vtec       Belt Change

6. Mike Dryburgh - Mike6          Tension only,room allocated

7. Malcom Warner - MDW         Watch and learn only

8. Andy Clements                      Watch and drink

9. Martyn                                    Watch, webcast

We need to agree on possible dates Mr Sparky and plan the campaign, so far 5 for belts please add names etc once we have agreed the dates etc.

This could be the good one to attend.

best regards, Dave

May be a silly question but, is there any way of checking the age of the belt ?

I have loads of paperwork which came with my car, but nothing about the belt for a long time.

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !