Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Service time - oil, filter and Cambelt - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Service time - oil, filter and Cambelt

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may have to get my car over on a trailor, as it's not MOt etc and i'm running out of time.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi Dave,

My car is not road legal at the moment, And I'd like to get the cam belt done before MOT as I need to sort a sidelight out etc. My friend has a car trailor, that I can get it over to yours on.

i'm doing up my girl friends flat up as well so i'm rushing around at the mo, with not enough hours to get it all done.

chris

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Mine has a slight weep from the water pump which I'd love to try and replace myself under supervision at the same time as changing the belt. Would that make it a bit too much to fit into this session?

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

We could consider that Colin, not sure how long it takes, Sparky and I need to talk to set a date and understand what is possible, it could be a long weekend. I will come back to you once I have had a chat with Sparky.

Colin red vtec - do not see why not, again I do need to speak with Sparky and get everyones agreement.

Martyn, 18th and 19th May is out for me, Catherine is getting married, so I suppose I should not play with the car that weekend.

Dave

• Gold FFM

Today's weather is just too good to pass up, so Chris & I have decided to carry out side-by-side cambelt changes today.

Won't stop me coming to Beltfest 2013, so room for a couple more appointments now!

Dave - sorry mate, been soooo busy.  Will definitely call later today.  But it looks like 11-12 May or 18-19 May.  Busy up to then, and definitely doing Combe on 25 May.

Oh, and if anybody fancies a ride out on this glorious day, pop by for a cuppa!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Can't really do either of those dates, that's the weekend before and the weekend of Catherine getting married.

It will have to be either 4 or 5 of May, or 25/26th or 1/2 of June.

Or we will have to much later in June.

Dave

"May be a silly question but, is there any way of checking the age of the belt ?

I have loads of paperwork which came with my car, but nothing about the belt for a long time".

Whirlybird,

I noticed this when your car was auctioned last year and one reason I told my mate to limit his bid as it would need doing. I would check with Paul Matty to see if he changed it before he sold the car on, bit naughty if he didn't as i thought he would have given it a full C service as there was no record of one in the recent past i.e. last three years.

Adrian,

Exactly what I did !

I checked with John (Paul Matty's), and it was done last year but they obviously don't do an 'invoice' for internal work (prior to sale) but did have records that it was done.

Peace of mind..... it's a wonderful thing.

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

Ok so we have booked the 1st and 2nd of June, sorry for those who need it sooner but it's difficult to set dates with everyone.

Sparky is cool with that date, so can you please add your name and what needs doing below

1. Dave new belt - curry provider and host

2. Sparky - the expert in all things esprit and Captin Morgan's rum.

The format is

Friday night, welcome for anyone to stay over for an early start on Saturday.

Early start Saturday, do as many belt changes as possible (belt purchase will be arranged sooner to the day.

Saturday night, Captin Morgans, curry, and other food, rooms available first come first serve.

Sunday last minute belts, following a cooked breakfast.

12.00 ish finish.

Dave

Dave

Hi I would like to change all my belts and a room would be great if available.

As I think you may be aware I was a VW mechanic 20 odd years ago but have not done much work on Lotus but am not affraid to get my hands dirty

Thanks

Paul

I will put address up and further details over the next few days, the venue will be in sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire on the M11

I am also looking at talking to a friend of mine to arrange a short run to a custom paint spraying business to look at some cars, I have not asked him yet but I will see if I can arrange a short HOON after the event..

Dave

Edited by Dave Freeman

• Gold FFM

I think you'll find Clements is more of a guru than yours truly!

If anyone wants a Gates Powergrip 5206 or 5146 belt I can provide them at £25 a pop.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Dates ok with me. I will arrive early Sat morning and stay over in the booked room. I just need the cambelt tension checked but god knows what might have dropped off the car by then (much the same as everyone else I imagine)

Can I suggest that with the cambelt changes, all other belts are changed plus the tensioner bearing (not worth stripping down only to find the bearing is knackered)

I notice a request to change water pump. In theory possible but the pump is secured using half a dozen small diameter bolts of varying lengths. Fiddly to remove, particularly one of them but real problems can occur if a bolt decides to shear and then I believe it is an engine out job so I think there has to be a question mark over this job.