Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
High idle after starting from cold se - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

High idle after starting from cold se

cbclotus

Hi Guys carrying on from my thread about cars problems.Can any body help. I know i need to get it to some body with freescan.The car starts from cold ok.Then decides to keep reving up 2 thousand then 3 thousand.Not good.i then turn off engine and restart idle is ok.I have disconected battery .no better.Taken out fuse for idle control valve.Can i clean the ic valve.Can any show me where its located.do you have to discnnect battery to do this.Doing my head in lol.Have not driven it since showing hot on temperature gauge.Is it possible to fit a mechanical temperature gauge as well to check how hot its getting.Takeing to a mates place monday to look over these faults.Thanks all Mike.Silver se turbo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Mike, there's a chance it's all related. It could do that if the temp sensor was misreporting. You're in the dark until Freescan - I presume that's Monday?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Hi Guys i am in Exeter.Sparky  no luck with the freescan yet.Just dont understand why it revs up so high.All the threads about idle problems are not revving that high.if i dont switch off it might keep revving..Could i try to clean the idle control valve with carb cleaner.Thanks for your help guys Mike

Hi Andy.Bit of a numpty.So the ecu could be at fault.But why would it run normal after turning off.As Sparky has said i need to check with freescan.Would this show a fault if it was ecu related.Thanks Andy Mike

Hi Andy.Bit of a numpty.So the ecu could be at fault.But why would it run normal after turning off.As Sparky has said i need to check with freescan.Would this show a fault if it was ecu related.Thanks Andy Mike

Not necessarily the ECU, more likely a sensor (If I had to guess which I'd say the Lamda/ O2 sensor). the sensor sends a response which is outside normal parameters, or no response at all, the ECU assumes the worst and so cannot be sure the car will not stall at normal levels so it defaults to a safe position and ups the IAC to get a high idle where it's unlikely to stall.

When you switch off and back on the ECU may get a decent reading form the sensor, so can set the IAC normally.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike/Chaps

This is almost exactly my symptoms as well (Esprit 89 SE). I just had the manifold replaced (engine out) so all cables were disonnected. Now what happens is the the car seems to run ok "MOSTLY" provided I dont thrash it. however after a long run when I come to idle the revs stay at 1800 ish, I can blip the throttle to no avail.... However , If I switch off / on then the idle is instantly correct. Did you get any resolution to this.. I put a new Lamda sensor on last year and it seemed to be cyclng correctly. BUT is not an original, its one specified in lotusworld. However I will re-check the connections to that sensor . Anyone with any ideas I would appreciate some guidance. I broke my ALDL connector (sat on it) so just soldered some new transisitors on it. Will try it out tonight and see what the sensor says..

Try pulling up on the throttle pedal.  It might be that after the engine was re-installed, the throttle cable was adjusted too tight, and as the engine warms it expands and the cable pulls the throttle open a bit.  I usually have to adjust the throttle cables on these cars when the engine is warm.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Phil.I was not told about the problem when i bought the car from the person who was on the forum......Not that pleased when i started the car after it had sat in my garage.Started engine kept reving up .Tell a lie he said if you blip the throtle its ok .Not so.It revs up to 3 thousand revs.if i turn the car over a couple of times it seems to idle fine.I am waiting to get it freescanned by a member near me.Thanks Rick.......Why cant people be 100 per cent honest....Hope you find the fault.Please post if you do.Thanks Mike

• Gold FFM

It is possible that a throttle blip did correct the issue when the PO had the car. It may be a simple fact that whatever was possibly failing, now has.

As Andy said, it is possible that stopping and restarting sends a different signal to the ECU and you get a different result.

Freescan or espritmon will help I would think.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thanks for the update.. just been away for the weekend. hense the delay. I've not got my ALDL woking yet. so am none the wiser .. also now it seems the ports (front and back) don't seem to be working.. does anyone know if there are any "inline" fuses or connectors to the ALDL which may have been dislogeded by having the engine out?? Can it have "blown up" ???

Yours

Mr grumpy