Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours? - Page 8 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours?

Loose Cannon

Last week I got 2 comments that where a long time coming less then half an hour apart. At first a nosy neighbor coming outside after hearing me park. "Is that a Ferrari?" I correct him and apologize for partly blocking his driveway, but explain I'm just dropping of my girlfriend. He says not to worry, comments it's a ice car and then just stands there watching as we want to kiss goodbye...  At that point, I really couldn't tell if he was looking at the 'Ferrari' or at her. :ph34r:

On the way back home I stopped for fuel, ad two blokes come over. It's quite late and not the best part of town. But again I get positive comments on the car, they think it's the one from Back to the Future. So I explain in my best French the difference between a DeLorean and an Esprit and reference the Bond movies and Pretty Woman. I don't think they understood or believed me, but they were very friendly waving me out of the petrol station.

On Friday I was part of a convoi of 5 Esprits, going through the center of a small historical town. Because of the nice weather all the tables outside the pubs are crowded and everyone seems to be looking at us while we set up the cars for some pictures. We even got screaming girls when driving off again.  

Lier2.JPG

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

14 hours ago, Escape said:

So I explain in my best French the difference between a DeLorean and an Esprit

14 hours ago, Escape said:

I don't think they understood or believed me

Was this around the time you asked them where the petrol station's Flux Capacitor pump was located?

• Like 1

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Times have changed around here with the surge in pickups and SUVs.  Back in the mid 90's when I had my Jim Clark Esprit, it would part seas with attention.  I would literally have women follow me in the car and signal to their ring finger to ask if I was married!   Good times!

Fast forward to now, my Esprit V8 barely gets glances around here.  A few old timers smile with admiration.  Most do think it's a Ferrari, mainly because it's Ferrari red with tan interior in their eyes.  They think it's a new model of Ferrari they haven't seen, but they aren't too excited about it.  No one ever follows me to learn more about the car or me.  It's like having a stealth exotic where no one bothers you or treats you any different than a Toyota Corolla, which can be nice at times.

But I did pick up a fly yellow Lamborghini Murcielago to be a stable mate to the Esprit.  Now, that's a different story!  It's back to the reactions the Esprit got in the 90's!  It's often too much attention for your mood.  People driving like maniacs to work their way up to the back or side of the Murci so they can snap cell phone pics while driving.  Most everyone is cool around the car, but there are few that clearly aren't too happy that their lives have not resulted in being able to afford such a car, and they make their displeasure known of their life by trying to cut off the Murci.  Parking it in a public area and leaving it unattended is not an option.  People will literally climb all over it like a swing set to take pics (they've done it when I am close by), and it would just be a matter of time before someone feels the need to key the irreparable pearl yellow paint.

So, it's sad to me that no one cares about the great Esprit, but at the same time, it's nice to enjoy it under the radar of the crazies out there!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lotusespritse said:

my Esprit V8 barely gets glances around here

I'm happy to report that's not the case in Austin, Philip. It's almost a given that, if anyone is within hailing distance when I park the car, they will smile and express interest...whether they know the car or not. 

But you're right, the "climb all over it" factor is subdued, which makes for a more forgiving environment if left unattended for short periods. 

And before you ask, my "Lambo" is 1/25th scale. Parking is not an issue.:)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I was going down the A1M today when what I believe to be a Ferrari 488 Spider  (£200K, 200MPH) spotted me from some distance back  (I was reasonably pressing on)  - he then arrived at immense speed - we then exchanged pleasantries from our respective drivers seats and then proceeded in convoy until we went out separate ways....   That's never happened with a Porsche.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Porsches can't arrive at immense speed, that's why...

I hate Porsches, but they can do 0-60 in under 3 secs and over 200mph.  That's a lot faster than the Esprit.

Porsche had the money to build nice cars back then as they do now, My 80s 911 sc in design wise was fantastic and is the only car i have sold and made money on without even touching it. !  Looked so good when it arrived i could not take the grinder to it for a v8 conversion. :P

Lotus although not the worlds wealthiest of companies has made up for the lack of cash with fantastic designers and engineers, quite simply the esprits chassis is a work of art in itself :) The look of the esprit well that is just  " perfection " no other words.

A

• Gold FFM

Oh come on lads - stop bashing the porsches - you'll get told off......

i loves porsches - oh look - here's my screensaver favourite porker picture

IMG_0892.JPG

• Like 2

Only here once

This got me thinking about 911's specifically and I remembered a period article from one of the mags on LEW, you know the old features before the journalism got dumbed down, when you still got proper comparisons and data like Cd figures et al. Well this particular one did the data sheet comparing the Esprit to all the rest in it's class; the 911, Ferrari 308, TVR, Lancia Monte Carlo, Merak and one or two others and at the end it concluded that there really wasn't anything to touch the Esprit as a drivers car, except the Porsche but that lost out because you had to deal with it rather than it becoming an extension of your driving. It's a great way to sum it up. So then I started thinking about another little tidbit I picked up somewhere; Porsche have sold 800k+ 911's in the models history (it may or may not be true), and I wondered; ok if this is such a great drivers car I want to see which notable drivers actually own a 911. So I did a search and I'll admit I got distracted so that's still TBA, but I found a list of 76 celebrities who own Porsches and I'll be damned if 60+ of those cars weren't Panameras and 100% of those owners weren't Americans. I've seen just one of those in the flesh here in Ireland, but they must be a hot little potato for Porsche in the states!

Oh you thought there was going to be a big punch line? No just bullshit as usual, but I'd love to know of notable drivers with 911's. LeBlanc, McQueen and Dean don't count, they're actors first.

PS: Esprit owners teasing Porsche for fires? We couldn't be accused of a lack of irony :D

My mate always says its an 'occasion' being over taken by an Esprit ,probably one of my most endearing moments with my S4s was parking up at Coop car park (yes i know not cool but i digress) when this lady of older years i'm thinking around mid seventies walks over and admires the car and knows exactly what it is ,who its made by etc, because her husband long since passed had an early S1  and how she lamented the time spent with him in it.

• Like 2

Simplest things first.

My Wife says she wants a 911 for her 50th.  A massive NO!  It's not going to happen!  It's not going on my drive!

Back to Esprits, I seem to be getting a lot more positive comments from people about the car, certainly in the last month or so.  Almost every time I've taken it out people are asking questions or giving the thumbs up.  Maybe the Esprit has turned the corner. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Blanchard said:

My Wife says she wants a 911 for her 50th.  A massive NO!  It's not going to happen!  It's not going on my drive!

Well now, if you can get the wife to agree to do some of the things that she's always given you a massive NO!, it might make sense to get her that 911!

Ever since I started being interested in cars it has always been a complete mystery to me as to why people like the 911. It has absolutely no redeeming features at all. 

Not only ugly but, as James May puts it, it is simply designed wrongly. What is the attraction, can anyone explain it? 

• Like 2