Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Knighthoods - who would you choose? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Knighthoods - who would you choose?

mayevora

• Gold FFM

Arise Sir Waste of Space. New years honours list just announced.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/honours-list/10542899/New-Year-Honours-2014-Three-MPs-criticised-over-expenses-given-knighthoods.html

Is it just my imagination or does seem to be alot of the 'old school' 'jobs for the boy's' 'secret squirrel handshake club' type honours given out each year? I can think of a few more imo deserving 'Sirs' (who aren't) that have also spent a lifetime in their chosen field displaying unending devotion and passion and service in their field and year after year get overlooked. It was only last month David Beckham was rumoured to be getting one nominated by Number 10! - yeah, ok player, ok face of football/sport, ok good bloke but Knighthood? Aahh No. I even read that this year even the Queen’s long serving official gynaecologist, becomes a Sir! - now that really is services to Her Majesty lol.

I would (for my 2p) put somebody like Murray Walker who is only an OBE on the Knighthood list and even, and maybe in another 30 years time, Andy Murray for that elusive Wimbledon title.

I'm sure every MP will at some point in their career be thinking, will I get OBE, MBE or Knighthood. Or is this my cynical side coming out.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

We had a Norfolk bellringer get a gong for her services to bell ringing. Wtf? I'd like my old man to get one for services to the motor industry and car safety design.

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Pete Tong's biggest contribution to society is to the English language for when things don't go your way - although I do remember him "largeing it up" on a Friday night.

You would have to say Andy Murray should have been knighted based on past experience with sports people (Chris Hoy, Steve Redgrave etc).

I've been suggesting a knighthood for Richard Noble for years....he's done more for the reputation of British engineering and achievement than anyone else in decades. First with his own World Land Speed record in Thrust 2; then with Thrust SSC setting the world's first supersonic land speed record, and now with the "Bloodhound" project which is going for 1000mph. The Bloodhound effort includes a large educational subset, trying to get young people enthused with the possibilities of engineering and science. I'm quite hopeful that, once he achieves the 1000mph target in 2015 or 2016, proper recognition of his work may follow.

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/ refers.

A far better candidate, I would suggest, than the tribe of dopefreak superannuated rock'n'rollers they generally go for.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Well, the deal where a group of MPs decide which MPs get knighthoods sounds like something easily open to corruption and there always seems to be a load of entertainment types undeservedly getting gongs as an attempt by the government to gain popularity with their fans.

I don't see that Andy Murray should become a knight for winning Wimbledon once when Anne Hayden Jones and Virginia Wade who also won Wimbledon have only a CBE and OBE respectively to their names.

For me, a knighthood for Ken Dodd for services to Jam Butty mines is well overdue.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

In my pursuit of a knighthood for Richard Noble, OBE,  I emailed the Cabinet Office...they emailed me back! It seems that anyone can recommend anyone else for an Honour...but not for any particular Honour. Thus a person cannot be recommended for a knighthood, just "an honour" in general. Exactly who decides what honour goes where, I'm not sure...but the Cabinet Office did email me the relevant forms!

So here they are, for anyone who fancies having a go officially...

honour nomination.doc

Edited by molemot

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

What about the Lotus owners.

OBE.  Owner of a Bloody Esprit.

MBE. Mechanic of a Bloody Esprit.

Knighthood. Awarded to those who manage to keep the former Bloody Esprit on the road.

post-12149-0-41479200-1388853044.jpg

Edited by johnpwalsh
  • Like 1

Wish I'd known there was a petition running..too late now, it's closed, only got 1000 signatures. Needed more publicity, I reckon.

As does Ron Ayres, the aerodynamicist on Thrust SSC and Bloodhound.....nice to know that a lifetime of engineering and scientific endeavour in the aircraft industry and two successful world landspeed records counts the same as a bit of scissoring.

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/news/mbe-bloodhound-aerodynamicist-ron-ayers

Edited by molemot