Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Picture & Video Thread - Page 16 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Picture & Video Thread

Bibs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

OK all you photo lovers, we had the S4 out for a good run up over the Highlands today but sadly only had the Galaxy phone with me for snap shots but heyho here they are.

Sunshine and showers.

post-12149-0-49467100-1411936053.jpg

Never let the grass grow under your wheels, keep em rolling.

post-12149-0-16420800-1411936221.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

loving the red trim i think i have to many red cars but there again you can't have to many esprits what else have you to do, I mot tomorrow.

A very good year.

There were two 82 cars with colour coded bumpers and mirrors ordered from the factory - yours could be one of them (mine isn't). You would have to check with Andy Graham at Lotus.

Chris

A very good year.

There were two 82 cars with colour coded bumpers and mirrors ordered from the factory - yours could be one of them (mine isn't). You would have to check with Andy Graham at Lotus.

Chris

I will check but I dont think its one of these. The louvres are white also. I intend to put all back to original black. 

Someone has added a thin pinstripe at the top of the side and I will miss that if I remove it as I like it a lot. I also like the white mirrors. The "White Essex" I used to own also had white mirrors. I am tempted to leave them white.

Looks great.  How does it compare to your 328?

Interesting question. 

The 328 GTS has a rather structurally weak chassis and the Esprit chassis is rock solid by comparison. Handling is better. Steering lighter on the Esprit mainly owing to the large scrub radius on the geometry.

The Esprit has the lovely turbo "whoosh" and "thwunk" of the wastegate and the kick in the back which the 328 does not have. In fact the 328 is rather dull in respect of engine sound although the V8 is smoother of course.

The Ferrari transverse engine/gearbox is a delightful unit though, if only Lotus had the resource to design something like it. The gear linkage is one straight shaft which runs from the lever right into the gearbox so the shift is of course better.

Pedal positioning is better on the Ferrari and the Esprit does not have a LH footrest which I really miss. The 328 interior is just boring though compared to the Esprit.

When driving, the Esprit has an air of solidity which the Ferrari does not have, but unfortunately the reverse is the case in reality when you examine the cars. The quality of components used on the 328 is far better. The doors close with a thud rather than a crash. The shutlines and panel fit is awful on the Esprit compared to the 328.

For working on, the 328 is MUCH easier, there is no comparison. Changing the cam belts on the 328 is a total breeze compared to the Esprit and everything is accessible and easy to dismantle and reassemble.  

I feel more relaxed driving the Lotus because I am not constantly worried about how many miles I am putting on the car and whether I might hit a fly or something :), the 328 being a concours car which is rapidly appreciating, which is not totally a good thing.

Recently on Ferrarichat there was a discussion whether there was any car more head-turning for the cost than the 308/328. Of course there is. Everyone loves the Esprit and its probably a better kind of attention as Ferraris seem to have a "rich banker" cachet (which is nonsense of course in reality). The Esprit is worth less than a tenth of the 328 but is its equal or in some respects is a better car. In terms of "bang for the buck" there is no contest, the Esprit wins hands down.