Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Picture & Video Thread - Page 17 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Picture & Video Thread

Bibs

Great post, thanks.

I want to get hold of a 1981 308 one day to compare it to my Esprit. Best do it before values rise even further! I've sat in a 328 but didn't fit very well, it was tiny inside. I'm much more comfortable in the Esprit.

Great post, thanks.

I want to get hold of a 1981 308 one day to compare it to my Esprit. Best do it before values rise even further! I've sat in a 328 but didn't fit very well, it was tiny inside. I'm much more comfortable in the Esprit.

The 328 is a later car than my Esprit but if you were to directly compare a 1981 308 with a 1981 Esprit the Esprit would win on more counts. Yes the Esprit has at least 5cm more headroom and is wider. Some of the 308s equipment (updated in the 328) is dated compared to the Esprit, for example the 308 uses the same window mechanism as the Elan, driven by wires, and a similar crappy handbrake to the Elan. 308s rust unlike the Esprit. The heater/ AC in the Esprit is worlds better than the 308. The electrics in a 308 are poor, with fuseboxes which burn out.

In many ways when they moved to the 328 Ferrari were playing catch-up with the Esprit.

Great read i have always wanted a ferrari dino but i know it would disappoint me so i think i will just always want one but will not get one as the letdown would kill the i wish factor.

andy b

I will check but I dont think its one of these. The louvres are white also. I intend to put all back to original black. 

Someone has added a thin pinstripe at the top of the side and I will miss that if I remove it as I like it a lot. I also like the white mirrors. The "White Essex" I used to own also had white mirrors. I am tempted to leave them white.

I would be tempted to go plasti-dip on the bumpers, louvers, and mirrors.  If done properly, it would look pretty close to original and you could always peal it off anytime you wanted to go back to white.

Well, you can see every bit of dirt if you look but the overall looks of the car keep you distracted!!

Perhaps I should have black wheels and make some badges - "Blackout No 001"

• Like 2

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Very nice car!  Would take it to the next level if you refinished the wheels.

Aww - now thats all I can see! And that though is likely to stay until I do something about it!! I'l send you the bill!

However, by 'refinishing' what exactly do you mean? Renovating or polishing? Black wheel centres?

I think when taking a pic of the Turbo taken in that pose the spoiler at the rear kinda becomes one with the body making it look a bit odd. Here are a few example. I think the N/A cars look better from this angle.

Think I know what you mean - its a subtle thing though. I chose the NA for its simplicity for a noob like me but I would dearly like a turbo. It has to get inline behind the other cars I need to own though.....DS23....Messerschmitt.....Countach.....

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I'm not a fan of the black centred BBS wheels, personally, gold centred with diamond cut outer rim would really set your black car off well and tie in nicely with your gold pin striping and lettering.

If diamond cutting is not an option, cost wise, then a hand polished outer lip. That way you can complete the refurb yourself for no more cost than some wet n dry, a rattle can of gold paint and some hard labour with the polishing compound! :D

Chunky Lover

I'm not a fan of the black centred BBS wheels, personally, gold centred with diamond cut outer rim would really set your black car off well and tie in nicely with your gold pin striping and lettering.

If diamond cutting is not an option, cost wise, then a hand polished outer lip. That way you can complete the refurb yourself for no more cost than some wet n dry, a rattle can of gold paint and some hard labour with the polishing compound! :D

I agree gold centres and polished rims will always tick my box, thinking of doing my centres gold when I get some spare time

Simon I agree, get those wheels done and the car will look immaculate. on my Na it had painted centres and polished outer rims, a bit of Purple metal polish or autosol every so often really brought them up...

IMG_3050-1.jpg

.. quick photo I found rummaging around my computer. Stopped for a quick break after an evening tearing around the Derbyshire countryside. Had such a great drive out that night. I love the way you can really wring the neck of an Na and nail it everywhere. I've never really had the same level of fun in the turbo

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

gold centres with polished rims - definitely. I fully intend to wring the neck out of my NA once it has its new gearbox, clutch etc in place (sigh). 

Slewthy, it also looks like you could use a slight lengthening of the tie rods for the headlamp pods as they are sitting a little low.  At least that's free and easy.

Edited by lotusespritse

Yup, I'd noticed that too. A change to turnbuckles (opposing thread shaft) would be of great benefit there as it removes the need to disassemble the mechanism. The later setup is so much better for keeping those adjustments perfect.

Chunky Lover

Phil when I had my compos polished they were almost a mirror finish (not quite as good now though) so I used some extra fine metal polish. Depends on the state of the surface. They are a total bitch to clean though due to the bolts.

Hoop

I was thinking of dismantling one at a time and polishing. Means the bolts would not be in the way. I work away a lot and spend a lot of time in hotels. Instead of spending night after night watching s!;-! on the TV I could polish and watch s!;-! on the TV. Do you think I would cause myself problems re sealing. Also I suppose dismantling the wheels means a gradual undo of all the bolts to avoid un necessary stress on wheel.

Thanks Phil