Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My new S4s has let me down! - Page 9 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My new S4s has let me down!

Stimpy

I don't think you're having an extreme problem at all mate, I think you bought a 16 year old car that had been sat for many years and which is now being fixed but talking yourself into thinking it's worse than it is, a lot. :blink:

You're very, very lucky you bought it from a dealer with a warranty. 99% of sales are private and once you've got it home it's your problem. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

what he said ^ at least you have someone to argue the toss with. I do think however - if it is advertised in full working order - then it does need to be in full working order - regardless of "show-stopper" items or not. If it lists A/C - then A/C should work.

If I was a betting man I would wager that most of your engine related problems would be solved with a new fuel pump

.As it happens  I have a brand spanking new lotus supplied pump complete assembly sat in my garage next to my brand spanking new ( rocking horse pooh) ABS pressure switch,if you really are stuck pm me.

Nick S4s

I shall remember that !   Thanks very much.

I don't think you're having an extreme problem at all mate, I think you bought a 16 year old car that had been sat for many years and which is now being fixed but talking yourself into thinking it's worse than it is, a lot. :blink:

You're very, very lucky you bought it from a dealer with a warranty. 99% of sales are private and once you've got it home it's your problem. 

The age thing makes me think - perhaps the pump was trying to squirt rust into the the injectors (although there is signs of a brand new fuel filter)

what he said ^ at least you have someone to argue the toss with. I do think however - if it is advertised in full working order - then it does need to be in full working order - regardless of "show-stopper" items or not. If it lists A/C - then A/C should work.

Yeah - I get your point and totally agree with you - it's the heart and brain thing yet again.  How I wish I could turn off the heart for this sort of thing.  No wait.... turning off the heart has a few more cons than plusses!!  

I think the phrase that pays is "patience is a virtue". Wait until they "actually" make a mistake or tell you they can't repair it. The more you communicate - the more you'll end up paying out. Let them come to you. Don't give them the excuses or reasons. Whatever may or may not be going on my suggestion is: ask them what a reasonable time to repair the car is (say a fortnight?) and go quiet with them. I think giving them an extra list of things to do (I paid £40 for a pair of boot struts and fitted them in about 10 minutes and I'm rubbish at mechanics) gives them a reason to put the car to the back of the queue.

If you want the car back - don't give them extra stuff to do.

I've got used to waiting now!

I'm having trouble with the Stag at the moment and actually forgot that I (should) have a backup car! 

Which leads me on to a cheeky question that hopefully will only need a one-post reply.

Excuse my ignorance...

Do the wires that come out of the back of the alternator go straight to the battery +ve with nothing in between? (at its simple form, i.e. if there are no dials or wotnot)

In the Stag there are (according to my manual) 3 brown wires connecting the alternator to the +12V of the battery (inlcuding the thick cable). The 4th wire is brown-yellow and is ignition-switched. It provides the initial excitement charge for the alternator and also powers the ‘alternator charge warning light’ on the dash. The reading for the dash volt-meter is taken from the ignition switch.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

:smoke:

In the Stag there are (according to my manual) 3 brown wires connecting the alternator to the +12V of the battery (inlcuding the thick cable). The 4th wire is brown-yellow and is ignition-switched. It provides the initial excitement charge for the alternator and also powers the ‘alternator charge warning light’ on the dash. The reading for the dash volt-meter is taken from the ignition switch.

Filip

Thanks for the tips.

I've posted some stuff to the 'correct' board (stag owners)

FYI there's 3 cables coming out of my alternator - there's the little 'exiter' cable and 2 fat brown ones.

Looks like the IGN bulb might be blown.

I think the ebay sourced new alternator is to blame - when disconnected and running the voltage is all over the place (sort of 3, 16, 2, 8, 29, 5, [volts] etc etc)

I think a large chunk of voltage might have blown the IGN bulb and the alternator is nackered.

With everything connected there's 11v at the battery independent of engine on or off.

Still waiting for parts.  Still looking through the window in the virtual waiting room.

They give positive comments, though.

The Stag - however - is driving me (no pun intended) to insanity for the moment though.

Any good auto electricians near HP13 willing to help out with some electric stuff? I'm actually willing to pay a nominal sum (£100 or something - dunno the going rate).

Not urgent and no offence for lack of response to that last question :-)

I would be inclined to ask exactly what part is on order and the part number they have ordered it by and from which supplier. I had my new fuel pump within 2 days. .assuming thats what theyve ordered. You need to really be getting on the phone this morning and insisting that they give you this information. No being soft over it now.

I'd say get the car out of there ASAP - I've always had this sneaking suspicion that if you put a dealer or workshop against the wall they'll just **** your car up or intentionally do a crap job.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I would be inclined to ask exactly what part is on order and the part number they have ordered it by and from which supplier. I had my new fuel pump within 2 days. .assuming thats what theyve ordered. You need to really be getting on the phone this morning and insisting that they give you this information. No being soft over it now.

In all honesty I just want to get motoring again,

If the items are not on the invoice (which WILL be FOC) I'll ask and divulge.  I'll PM you about something too.

I'd say get the car out of there ASAP - I've always had this sneaking suspicion that if you put a dealer or workshop against the wall they'll just **** your car up or intentionally do a crap job.

I'll PM you   (that's not a reference to the recent elections btw!!)

I was going to make a cheap joke by using 'our' in that quote but that would be just childish of me.  

Me childish?  LOL

......maybe it's time to email Snows again....

Do you know what?

Despite having a stag I actually REALLY MISS that cacophony from the rear pipes and the relative silence in the cabin!

For the full super car effect go through a own centre in 3rd (whereas you'd go for top gear in the Stag for that bone creaking bass)

Absence makes the heart.......

no wait, thats the wrong 'saying'.

Good things come to those that......

nope - that's not right too.

Erm.  Technically I have a Lotus S4s, one of the best super cars in the world.  Yep - I can live with that one......

Fingers crossed.

Not commented on this in a while as I'd made my point quite clear I think.

I hope they have indeed cured your problem permanently and you now get to enjoy your car.

Am excited to hear the news of what exactly has been done, and exactly what this mysterious part is.

Chunky Lover