Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit V8 project - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit V8 project

Ok guys it appears some of you no longer see the pictures? photobucket has said the bandwidth has capped out due to the amount of people viewing the pics and want me to pay to open up more bandwidth! the pictures will not be taken down forever just drop off from now again depending on how many views per day.
Sorry. Rob

"...just drop off from now again depending on how many views per day."

Well it ain't me causing the drop...I'm 6 time zones away! :lol: 

A most interesting thread, Rob. Good on you for hanging in there throughout the comment gauntlet. I think you've pretty much won us over and been a good sport. While not all of us are "mod-happy" aficionados, even the bone-stock contingent can (does?) find your efforts quite impressive. Why, I've even gone so far as to fearlessly spot weld larger diameter stainless steel exhaust tips on my V8. A truly gutsy move, no? :shock: 

Awaiting further word on the "bag" ride. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Hi Rob, it's nice to see you are still working on the s3, (we met when I picked up your old s3 wheels some time ago, back then the engine was not in the car) always wondered how you got on with it, (now I know LOL) love the wheels btw. they look great on a g-esprit. 

Rick

"...just drop off from now again depending on how many views per day."

Well it ain't me causing the drop...I'm 6 time zones away! :lol: 

A most interesting thread, Rob. Good on you for hanging in there throughout the comment gauntlet. I think you've pretty much won us over and been a good sport. While not all of us are "mod-happy" aficionados, even the bone-stock contingent can (does?) find your efforts quite impressive. Why, I've even gone so far as to fearlessly spot weld larger diameter stainless steel exhaust tips on my V8. A truly gutsy move, no? :shock: 

Awaiting further word on the "bag" ride. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

John

Thanks John,

I have it up on 5 sites, and some have been having issues with the pics not showing so had to pay photobucket to keep the bandwidth. Did wonder why it was free? (not) they now have a slow drain on my bank account to keep the pics up!

things are going to slow down on updates guys as we are up to date as it sits now, have loads of little loose ends sorting out, electrics, bleeding brakes, and leaks from the air valves, plus still got to sort out carpet, and put the interior back in, and the boot floor still needs finishing, etc,etc, you get the idea!

Spent many hours today trying to get my drivers side headlight motor to work, the car has been stood for quite some time now and this really does not go well with any old car, after messing about with relays, connections etc just could not get it to work. So I removed it and plugged it into the other side as I knew the electrics was working ok. It still did not work! So decided to take it apart and have a look. Found the fault quickly as shown in the pic (red arrows) poor connections on the brass strip. Cleaned them up and gave it another go. It works! But it was making a horrible screeching sound, took the main motor apart and it was all rusty in side and had dry bearings. Cleaned it up and greased the bearings, checked it and its running like new. One more job done.

14516435599_31088bc52b_z.jpg

As you may know I have been having issues with the pneumatic air solenoid valves. They are leaking air around the body joint and solenoid.

Red arrows in pic.

I brought a pair on ebay from a uk seller cheapish, and a pair from china on ebay even cheaper, yes I know buy cheap buy twice! Well yes its true they are crap!

They did work to start with but have got worse over a short period of time to the point of not working at all just clicking.

They other pair are following the same route and I expect them to die any day soon! Does any one use this type at work? Or use them at all on cars? I would be interested to still use this type if you can get them in a reliable quality. I think the other pair I brought most likely came from china as well. They work really fast and can have the car off the deck and ready to go in around 2 seconds! The kids love it! and so do I looks pretty cool!

14700703604_4a88d42861_z.jpg

The problem I found after taking them apart is a small O ring leaks and also around the whole solenoid body joint.

I tried to seal them with some silicone, but I don’t know if it would have worked as its still just clicking when I fitted it back onto the car.

14700702144_89c9a7fb71_z.jpg

really appreciate any info on these if some one has any knowledge they could share?

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

I would be in the purist camp but agree that it's your car and your money to do whatever you want with it. I really hope you're happy with the end result.

Has anyone ever tried to fit the Lotus 918 V8 unit to a Giugiaro? If I had to fit a V8 it would have to be that one. Might be a bit lively though!

That's a great idea! I think it would be awesome if it was in NA config too - wonder what kinda performance and sound it'd put out then?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

just ordered a carpet set from sjsportscars not cheap! and 3-4 week wait! wanted it back on the road end of the month. Bugger!

looks like a home made carpet install is imminent......

Spent many hours today trying to get my drivers side headlight motor to work, the car has been stood for quite some time now and this really does not go well with any old car, after messing about with relays, connections etc just could not get it to work. So I removed it and plugged it into the other side as I knew the electrics was working ok. It still did not work! So decided to take it apart and have a look. Found the fault quickly as shown in the pic (red arrows) poor connections on the brass strip. Cleaned them up and gave it another go. It works! But it was making a horrible screeching sound, took the main motor apart and it was all rusty in side and had dry bearings. Cleaned it up and greased the bearings, checked it and its running like new. One more job done.

14516435599_31088bc52b_z.jpg

As you may know I have been having issues with the pneumatic air solenoid valves. They are leaking air around the body joint and solenoid.

Red arrows in pic.

I brought a pair on ebay from a uk seller cheapish, and a pair from china on ebay even cheaper, yes I know buy cheap buy twice! Well yes its true they are crap!

They did work to start with but have got worse over a short period of time to the point of not working at all just clicking.

They other pair are following the same route and I expect them to die any day soon! Does any one use this type at work? Or use them at all on cars? I would be interested to still use this type if you can get them in a reliable quality. I think the other pair I brought most likely came from china as well. They work really fast and can have the car off the deck and ready to go in around 2 seconds! The kids love it! and so do I looks pretty cool!

14700703604_4a88d42861_z.jpg

The problem I found after taking them apart is a small O ring leaks and also around the whole solenoid body joint.

I tried to seal them with some silicone, but I don’t know if it would have worked as its still just clicking when I fitted it back onto the car.

14700702144_89c9a7fb71_z.jpg

really appreciate any info on these if some one has any knowledge they could share?

We use these all the time at work (build assembly machines for medical device and pharma companies)

Good quality brands are Festo, SMC, Bosch.

Your valve looks like a 5/3 centre position closed, double solenoid.

If you take a better photo of the diagram on the valve I can confirm.

Below is another company that supply quality valves, I would say you could get them cheaper in the UK though.

http://www.flomax.ie/Catalogue/PNEUMATIC-EQUIPMENT/Solenoid-Air-Pilot-Operated-Pneumatic-Valves/Solenoid-Operated-Valves

PS. I like your project and appreciate the amount of work gone into it (Im firmly in the original is best camp though :D )

Yes it is, I knew some one would know! Sadly I have just spent £450 on a new Accuair aa-vu4 4 way 4 corner manifold solenoid valve unit.

Yes that is a bit of a mouthful! Try saying it 10 times fast…… If you just did?    I own you!    god I am so childish at times.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Rob

thanks boot carpet looks nice, but I am no good with a sewing machine, Thought only people with boobs and no balls used them..........yes I am running before world war 3 starts!

Hmmm. RIGHT!

I thought the same TBO but actually, using a sewing machine is quite hard. Surprising anyone can do it, let alone blokes!

When I made my boot carpets, I definitely could not use a machine. Black binding helped hide that though.

If you are methodical and meticulous though, its possible.

I think your statement might be true if you were running up a dress....as opposed to knocking up a bit of skirt...

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Just spent 3 hours going over your thread and loved the controversy. back in the early 70's I had much the same thing when I customised my first car and probably about one of the first in our area. An old moggie 1,000 which I  finished in BL Black Tulip, some said the devils color as it was a nice shade of purple, sheep skin button back covered seats. Riley 1.5 engine and gear box with OD, cut, widened and welded wheel's, lowered and extension arches. Well to say at that time I got all the names under the sun for spoiling a perfectly good car but it could out run most of the common motors of the day and it looked bloody good so well done you on the rebuild. Hate to say it but I love the standard S3 and have just completed a two year restoration on my own one, never the less hats off to you and all the hard work and I hope it all comes good.

Ok few updates, brought a new solenoid valve unit. Accuair aa-vu4 looks a really nice bit of kit, have used up a few Christmas and birthday presents to get it! But its all for a good cause I hope?

14531606739_aa1c39ed74_z.jpg

All fitted and looks much better not quite the rats nest that it was. but still needs some more tidying. That can wait in line with other unimportant jobs.

14715871474_14158f647b_z.jpg

Got the old carpet out also, that was a job in its self why did it have to be stuck in with 50 tins of glue? Most of the carpet parts all ripped to bits trying to get them out. I did manage to use what was left to make a new set so hope to get that done tomorrow.

14718258745_0f08c206e2_z.jpg

Been very busy today. some new engine bay pics I have trial fitted engine bay trim. Must be close to 2 years since this was in the car!

Parts have been floating around in my garage and shed and took some time finding all the parts.

14538580189_cdb0d1e3f0_z.jpg

14724908302_4ab4565258_z.jpg

14722839414_7423d75295_z.jpg

14745088263_7ce512cb68_z.jpg

Trial fitted the interior, again must be close to 2 years since this was in the car!

Parts have been floating around in my garage and shed and took some time finding all the parts.

It still needs removing and cleaning and refitting, but I needed to check how it all went back together.

Yes I know the carpets are dodgy and home made but a new set is on its way.

14538554160_3ebe6ec2bd_z.jpg

14702223006_aaf37ae725_z.jpg

I still have some air leaks, few electrical items to finish, and the dreaded brakes still to sort out. Plus loads of little odds and ends.

I do expect loads of teething problems mainly getting the suspension setup and reliable and possible engine bay temps and engine cooling over heating etc as I am still using the S3 rad which I don’t think is going to be up to the job. I see light at the end of the tunnel now and it’s giving me a real boost to get it done lots of car shows coming up! This build thread may look like this was done quick but in reality I’ve been hard at it for near 2 years, spending all my spare time on it. Yes there has been many times I have been really cheesed off with it. Months have gone by and done nothing to it. Had so much hassle on many parts of the build. Many of you have been there too with your own projects………

14722839414_7423d75295_z.jpg

WARNING! this air filter can suck clothes off!

Ladies have you seen my engine? please step closer and take a look!

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

Your interior looks good to me. I like the Esprit interiors myself.

The engine install looks pretty nice too. I think a better air filter setup would finish it off a treat. I wonder if airflow would be a problem in the current position?  Maybe a custom made filter box like the turbo breathing through the ear might look better still.

Buddsy

yes did plan on going sideways with the K&n plenum and using the stock intake pipe work may still do it, so many jobs unfinished......

The interior looks very nice :)

To be honest it all looks better in the photos than in real life, it is tatty and faded. When I got the car it was pretty rough inside vary faded and nearly turning green!
I found that some Indian ink diluted and dabbed on with a sponge gave it a real lift and gave it some colour back, I also did this on my S1 works a treat!

Don't listen to those pansies, Rob. The current air filter location looks totally badass and should be retained. :D 

Besides, you would have to change your avatar, and who has time for that?

• Like 1

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.