Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
overboost? - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

overboost?

If the S4S ecu sees MAP exceeding 2.06 bar for 3.175 seconds then fuel is cut.

As the MAP sensor cannot measure pressures above 2.07 bar I would be wary of any chip that claims to run higher pressures as the ecu will not be able to calculate the air mass correctly.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
As for boost levels, I don't know about the S4s, but the SE is 0.85 bar nominal and 1.00 bar during overboost.

Not 0.65?

(EDIT: you had me doubting what I'd written, Vince, but I see you've corrected it in the next message) :P

Edited by Qavion

Sorry my mistake ! I did read the manual a bit too quickly... yes 0.65 nominal, 0.85 is for throttle angles above 75% (if engine is close to warmed up, 75°C minimum), 1.00 bar is for wide open throttle, pedal to the floor.

Edited by Vince

If the S4S ecu sees MAP exceeding 2.06 bar for 3.175 seconds then fuel is cut.

As the MAP sensor cannot measure pressures above 2.07 bar I would be wary of any chip that claims to run higher pressures as the ecu will not be able to calculate the air mass correctly.

Hmmm... that needs some investigation then...

Edited by Vince

Oh, ok !   didn't know that. It's quite a serious affair though, I don't see hum claiming modifying the boost limit if it's not actually technically possible, I don't understand what's going on here...

My next best assumption, then, is that the wastegate solenoid actually has some headroom (duty cycle not quite reaching 100% at 1.00 bar of boost), hence it is possible to increase boost beyond 1.00 bar. The MAP capping at 1 bar (of boost, 2 bar total), just means that the ECU then only relies on throttle angle... which is 100% anyway (since this is mandatory for allowing overboost) 

That means that the ECU lacks the help of the MAP above 1 bar, but since this is overboost region, and is only meant to be used for a few second, maybe it's not a vital information under that particular circumstance.

I will ask Marcus for some detail...

At any rate it's easy to figure it out : just put the car on a dyno, record the max torque (should improve), and hook a pressure gauge to the MAP pipe with a T connector. There is no way to hide the truth this way...

Plus, an ECU log would show if the wastegate solenoid duty cycle is upped or not, which invariably would result in increased boost. The revised fuel MAP would obviously provide the necessary extra fuel to go with it.

Edited by Vince

The throttle being fully open is not a requirement for overboost; see post 13 in this thread.

When the MAP exceeds the maximum pressure the MAP sensor can detect the ecu does not change its method of calculating air mass from speed density to Alpha-N. This is is why running MAP beyond the limitation of the sensor should be avoided.

The throttle being fully open is not a requirement for overboost; see post 13 in this thread.

Wow that's scary... I mean, the Lotus workshop manual clearly states that WOT is mandatory. If one can't even trust the manuals...  :-/

I think you may be thinking of the part of the manual that is about the ecu controlling boost above the wastegate setting rather than overboost.

It's also worth noting that generally when using engine management systems referring to wide open throttle means throttle values starting before its fully open (typically 75%).

Edited by sailorbob

That sentence is in there because the boost control is an open loop system and the ecu doesn't have enough control to handle transient boost conditions. It is not referring to the overboost mode which, AFAIK, is not documented in the workshop manuals.

Edited by sailorbob

It is probably easiest to think of the boost pressure being controlled in four ways:

Mechanical boost control - the boost pressure is controlled solely by the wastegate actuator.

ECU boost control - when conditions are right the ecu uses the boost control solenoid to bleed air away from the wastegate actuator and thereby increase the boost pressure.

Overboost - the ecu adds additional dutycycle to the boost control solenoid opening time when using ecu boost control

Excessive boost - the ecu cuts fuel to reduce the boost pressure

Assuming you didn't make a typo, then that's 0.65 not 0.61, but still in the ballpark...

And how comes my avatar title reads "LOTU" instead of "LOTUS", hmmm.... Bibs ?! :stuart:

post-31-0-62955800-1423419926.jpg

Edited by Vince

• Gold FFM

The word builds as you post. Post more. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 3 weeks later...

Id be interested in markus reply to the questions above. I have the red race chip. Now that the car is running properly.. No cel. I floored it yesterday and was reading 17 psi on my boost gauge. In limp mode, I was at 9 psi. I assume that means my wastegate is proper. I didn't notice any cutout from the ecu. I also didn't stay on it long as I was sideways :)

Well Marcus told me that his customers don't complain about his chips (bar the dumb ones who are "clever" enough to fit them the wrong way around in the chip socket... but what can you do for such people...) and that they do get the extra >1bar of boost promised. You seem to confirm this, so thank you for your feedback...

17psi is 1.17Bar, not sure which boost gauge you are using or the accuracy of it, but I could see a gauge being inaccurate to ~+/-0.1Bar or +/-1.5psi.

The original dash gauge on the Esprit is very inaccurate.  Mine pegs the dash gauge almost all the time, and my engine is stock with Marcus' S4s chip.  Though I live at high altitude ;)  

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I just replaced my boost gauge setup with a digital. All new wiring,hose,and sender. It seems spot on with mechanical boost only. its much easier to read and goes to -+30. Its autometer Not some ebay crap. It cost $200

It was worth it.

I did have to relocate the hose to read vacuum.

Edited by bens4s

• 7 years later...