Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
overboost? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

overboost?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The wastegate dutycycle is the percentage of time that the boost control solenoid port vent is open for.

In overboost mode the ecu adds 44% to the calculated wastegate dutycycle for the current rpm and throttle position. So if the wastegate dutycycle is normally 0% (i.e. low rpm and throttle position) it becomes 44% in overboost mode. If the wastegate dutycycle is normally 50% (i.e. high rpm and 2/3 throttle position) it becomes 94% in overboost mode. Wastegate dutycycle obviously cannot exceed 100% (where the boost control solenoid port vent is open full time).

Edited by sailorbob

The wastegate dutycycle is defined by a table of rpm vs throttle position. There is some adaptive learning applied (above 94.1% throttle and 2810 rpm in the stock SE code) to the dutycycle to adjust the boost so that it meets the required maximum boost setting.

Hmm, not really, I suppose using the term overboost is a bit misleading. The overboost mode increases the amount of air bled away from the wastegate capsule thereby creating the possibility of increased boost. It will generally increase boost but not always as the turbocharger may not be able to pump enough air under certain conditions regardless of the amount of air being bled off.

I think a simpler way to put it is to say that the waste gate included in the turbo, mechanically/physically sets the "normal"/sustainable boost level of the engine, whatever it is for a particular engine (0,65b for an SE ?).

Then on top of that basic mechanical setting, in order to get some extra ponies under hard acceleration at slow to medium speeds, the ECU uses a trick to cheat the wastegate.  That trick is the wastegate solenoid. The ECU uses the solenoid to divert some of the boost away from the wastegate. The wastegate setting obviously doesn't change, but it now sees only a fraction of the actual boost happening in the inlet (said amount being accuretely controlled by the ECU, by means of the duty-cycle applied to the solenoid).

The ECU has therefore, technically, potentielly, the ability to completely disconnect the wastegate (by diverting 100% of the air), thus actually rendering the wastegate inoperative. There is then nothing keeping the turbo from blowing the engine (rather than blowing into...), other than the turbo's  technical specification, by its construction/design limitations.

Obviously the ECU won't allow that to happen, it's aim is only to add a little bit more boost under some circumstances, it has no particular interest in destroying the engine ;)

Well not sure that was any clearer in the end.. .but well I tried ! :stuart:

Edited by Vince

Thet's a very clear explanation, it's how I understand the system to work, but I couldn't put in in writing like that.

It also explains why it's relatively easy to increase boost by changing the chip, because the duty cycle is increased.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 4 weeks later...

wat ? ... i replaced mine  with a  gt28  ball bearing turbo, and used an classic boost regulator

(hand regulated)  price 30 dollar. working outstanding no problems at all , full power always

some pictures  of this project  in the treat of

http://www.lotusforum.be/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5873

vr gr  sietse // holland

Edited by bullit

• 5 months later...

Yes the wastegate solenoïd vents to the atmosphere, as you can easily see by just looking at it in the relay box, it's screaming at you ;-)

As for boost levels, I don't know about the S4s, but the SE is 0.85 bar nominal and 1.00 bar during overboost. So the S4s has to be a little over 1 bar then, maybe 1.1.    PUK rate their 310 bhp S4s chip as 1.1 bar, and red race chip at 1.25, so I guess a stock S4s chip hast to be somewhere between the 1.0 and 1.1...

Edited by Vince
  • Like 1